Turn on thread page Beta

BOOM, attraction at first sight. Have you experienced it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrow-legs)
    I've been in three long term relationships, and with all of them there was the initial 'WOW!' when I first met them. With me, I either have that instant attraction, or there's absolutely nothing there. People never seem to grow on me. A couple of times i've gone on a few dates with someone I didn't feel that electric spark with, hoping I'd grow to like them, and it never happened.
    This! My friends don't seem to get it at all, but unless there's an initial spark, I just can't grow interested in a guy...

ReputationRep:
    Yes once in a club (which I know sounds obvious but I've never even been attracted to someone there before) and once at the gym. With other guys its usually been after the 2nd or 3rd time I've met them. The one at the club I didnt end up going up to and I regret it to this day. And the one at the gym I still see and its always intense when hes there. But I guess neither of them acted on it either so I shouldnt feel too bad about being a pussy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeaaah, there's always peng walking around on campus

ReputationRep:
    What usually happens is:
    *don't particularly notice/aware of presence, but don't notice them any more than anyone else*
    *time passes*
    *wait...he's HOT *

ReputationRep:
    yup. he is now my boyfriend of almost three years & we live together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnotts)
    Yes once in a club (which I know sounds obvious but I've never even been attracted to someone there before) and once at the gym. With other guys its usually been after the 2nd or 3rd time I've met them. The one at the club I didnt end up going up to and I regret it to this day. And the one at the gym I still see and its always intense when hes there. But I guess neither of them acted on it either so I shouldnt feel too bad about being a pussy.

Yeah, this is very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    I did meet a girl couple of weeks ago with the same kind of feelings as you had..Im still waiting to see her again ,to make a move
    Ooh, I hope you see her again then, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh once, she asked me on a date and I've never clicked like that with a girl before, just instantly on the right wavelength and we chatted for hours. After seeing each other for nearly a month she then went off with some other guy she'd liked for a long time previously. Very unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do feel attraction towards some people, but its only that how good looking they are and basically you wish to talk to them. :daydreaming:
    But not love. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Yes it happened once, summer 2007. I had a really busy but productive day at work, everything that happened seemed to go right. You know that song by Just Jack, "The day I died was the best day of my life", it always reminds me of this day. I remember leaving work to walk home in a great mood, and it was a beautiful day outside, so I decided to walk the long way home, just to take some more time in the sun. I remember passing the campus at Leeds Uni where they had an Open Day of some sort just finishing and a girl and her Mum came up to me asking for suggestions on where to get food, so because I'd studied there I had a bit of a chat to them, both the girl and her Mum got flirty with me, I felt like I looked good that day and I must have been bouncing off good-mood vibes.

Anyway as I got home the girl next door who I knew on say-hello-to-terms was sat on the step outside with another girl who I'd never seen before, now this girl was absolutely beautiful. Probably on any other day I would have thought this girl was a bit out of my league, but I remember the thought going through my mind as I saw her, this day has been so good, that this super-fit girl is blatantly going to fancy me. It was just inevitable, this was a unique day. She jumped up and said "hey...do you live here? come and sit with us". Her friend went in after a bit and left us out chatting for a good hour or so, then her friend shouted her in for tea, so we agreed to go down to the pub afterwards. That hastily arranged date was probably the most fun, nicest date I've been on in my life, we just had 100% super chemistry. She was gorgeous, had a stunning body, she was exactly my kind of girl as well, low key personality but intelligent, she had just finished uni and got a 1st, we had loads in common.

I remember that night, I didn't sleep at all, I was in such a good mood and on a high with all the excitement of the day, that the endorphins kept me awake all day. I just lay in bed watched the clock go round thinking of this girl and got up for work the next day. Over the next few weeks me and this girl started going on dates together, but the strange thing was, after that first meeting, every other date just felt like a friendship, there was all the business about us having loads in common and being compatible, and yes I thought she was attractive, but somehow the chemistry wasn't there. She had not long since come out of a longish relationship and I got the impression she was in two minds about dating and I was probably in two minds as well, so it just lost momentum and fizzled out.

I still think about that episode from time to time. Not just the girl but the whole sequence of events, and the feeling from that day, I've never recaptured that since. I can definitely say it was the best day of my life. And the girl as well. I don't know what was missing when we met again but it was definitely missing even a few days later when we met up for another date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparrow-legs)
    I've been in three long term relationships, and with all of them there was the initial 'WOW!' when I first met them. With me, I either have that instant attraction, or there's absolutely nothing there. People never seem to grow on me. A couple of times i've gone on a few dates with someone I didn't feel that electric spark with, hoping I'd grow to like them, and it never happened.
    Out of interest, did the guys say they felt the same on first meeting you?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    yes, he's got a girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Yes it happened once, summer 2007. I had a really busy but productive day at work, everything that happened seemed to go right. You know that song by Just Jack, "The day I died was the best day of my life", it always reminds me of this day. I remember leaving work to walk home in a great mood, and it was a beautiful day outside, so I decided to walk the long way home, just to take some more time in the sun. I remember passing the campus at Leeds Uni where they had an Open Day of some sort just finishing and a girl and her Mum came up to me asking for suggestions on where to get food, so because I'd studied there I had a bit of a chat to them, both the girl and her Mum got flirty with me, I felt like I looked good that day and I must have been bouncing off good-mood vibes.

Anyway as I got home the girl next door who I knew on say-hello-to-terms was sat on the step outside with another girl who I'd never seen before, now this girl was absolutely beautiful. Probably on any other day I would have thought this girl was a bit out of my league, but I remember the thought going through my mind as I saw her, this day has been so good, that this super-fit girl is blatantly going to fancy me. It was just inevitable, this was a unique day. She jumped up and said "hey...do you live here? come and sit with us". Her friend went in after a bit and left us out chatting for a good hour or so, then her friend shouted her in for tea, so we agreed to go down to the pub afterwards. That hastily arranged date was probably the most fun, nicest date I've been on in my life, we just had 100% super chemistry. She was gorgeous, had a stunning body, she was exactly my kind of girl as well, low key personality but intelligent, she had just finished uni and got a 1st, we had loads in common.

I remember that night, I didn't sleep at all, I was in such a good mood and on a high with all the excitement of the day, that the endorphins kept me awake all day. I just lay in bed watched the clock go round thinking of this girl and got up for work the next day. Over the next few weeks me and this girl started going on dates together, but the strange thing was, after that first meeting, every other date just felt like a friendship, there was all the business about us having loads in common and being compatible, and yes I thought she was attractive, but somehow the chemistry wasn't there. She had not long since come out of a longish relationship and I got the impression she was in two minds about dating and I was probably in two minds as well, so it just lost momentum and fizzled out.

I still think about that episode from time to time. Not just the girl but the whole sequence of events, and the feeling from that day, I've never recaptured that since. I can definitely say it was the best day of my life. And the girl as well. I don't know what was missing when we met again but it was definitely missing even a few days later when we met up for another date.
    Really enjoyed reading this

The bit I've highlighted in bold is just because I think I know the exact knowing feeling you mean, and it's strange when it happens.

Do you think, to any extent, the kind of day it was + the upbeat state of mind you were already in before you met her had an impact on how you viewed the girl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Yeah, I do feel attraction towards some people, but its only that how good looking they are and basically you wish to talk to them. :daydreaming:
    But not love. :shifty:
    No, I don't believe in love at first sight either.

Also, who is in your picture/who is the painter?

ReputationRep:
    twice...both are now exes.

its a great feeling though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattt_452)
    No, I don't believe in love at first sight either.

Also, who is in your picture/who is the painter?
    This.

Don't know the name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    This.

Don't know the name.
    Lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Wish I wasn't out of rep.

I'm no stranger to finding random peaople attractive on the street but those WOW moments, yeah it's happened to me. Once in the V&A, I was walking past with my brother and the recipient was with his partner and kids. That look lasted ages and was electric. It literally made me weak at the knees and light-headed. This was like, 5 years ago and I still remember his face exactly. It wasn't like he was super-attractive, or particularly eye-catching. I walked around that city break in a daze.

The second time was last August. I was doing a course in town and after class one day I went to watch the giant chess outside the library. BAM. As soon as I set my eyes on him my brain was smitten. He wasn't conventionally beautiful, but was so perfect to me. That posture, that deliberation whilst playing the game, the way the back of his neck had been kissed a subtle gold in the sun, I've never seen a more beautiful skin colour than that. I didn't see him glance at me once, It was so, so hard to tear myself away when the chess set was put away. I'm not one to sexually fantasise but the whole ensuing evening I was lost in it, it was a physical sensation, like being dipped in ice-cold water after a long hot trek.

The next day at class, all I could think about was going to the chess asap. I'd been flirty with course-mates but I just didn't give a damn about continuing that now. Finally the class was over, and I slowly approached. He wasn't there. Was I really expecting him to be? He was just someone I'd happen to come across. I sat there dejectedly, trying to be cheered by the sunlight.

Five minutes later, one of the chess-players gave a shout to someone behind me, asking them to play. It was him. Still not looking at me, he began to play. I was even grateful, since it allowed me to study him studying the board. The banter between the players was fun and teasing, and the match quickly turned into speed chess. At this point we shared some laughs together, which made me soar. Now I'm shy, but when it comes to men I like I'm pretty forward. This was...something else though, I felt totally helpless and unable to ask him out. Rejection from this would be too painful. My self-esteem is pit-bottom, and I know I'm really boring and non-pretty.

It was a whole month later, when we started talking properly. His friend had been trying to hit on me, and called him over for language assistance. We floated around each other that day. The next day, he wasn't there and a regular competitor of his fell into a conversation with me. He revealed how attractive (my crush) found me, and how he was surprised we weren't dating by now. I practically flew home.

Now we talked irregularly in a fortnight on my way home. But things came up and I was unable to see him for a long period, except for a few encounters in passing. He'd told me how he wanted to go back to his home country soon, and since I haven't seen him lately I assume he has. I wish, wish I wasn't so cripplingly shy. I've almost entered into a relationship lately, but ended it as I didn't think it was fair that I was still fantasising about him. Whenever I think about chess now, I associate it with that sexual tension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizziHikaru)
    Wish I wasn't out of rep.

I'm no stranger to finding random peaople attractive on the street but those WOW moments, yeah it's happened to me. Once in the V&A, I was walking past with my brother and the recipient was with his partner and kids. That look lasted ages and was electric. It literally made me weak at the knees and light-headed. This was like, 5 years ago and I still remember his face exactly. It wasn't like he was super-attractive, or particularly eye-catching. I walked around that city break in a daze.

The second time was last August. I was doing a course in town and after class one day I went to watch the giant chess outside the library. BAM. As soon as I set my eyes on him my brain was smitten. He wasn't conventionally beautiful, but was so perfect to me. That posture, that deliberation whilst playing the game, the way the back of his neck had been kissed a subtle gold in the sun, I've never seen a more beautiful skin colour than that. I didn't see him glance at me once, It was so, so hard to tear myself away when the chess set was put away. I'm not one to sexually fantasise but the whole ensuing evening I was lost in it, it was a physical sensation, like being dipped in ice-cold water after a long hot trek.

The next day at class, all I could think about was going to the chess asap. I'd been flirty with course-mates but I just didn't give a damn about continuing that now. Finally the class was over, and I slowly approached. He wasn't there. Was I really expecting him to be? He was just someone I'd happen to come across. I sat there dejectedly, trying to be cheered by the sunlight.

Five minutes later, one of the chess-players gave a shout to someone behind me, asking them to play. It was him. Still not looking at me, he began to play. I was even grateful, since it allowed me to study him studying the board. The banter between the players was fun and teasing, and the match quickly turned into speed chess. At this point we shared some laughs together, which made me soar. Now I'm shy, but when it comes to men I like I'm pretty forward. This was...something else though, I felt totally helpless and unable to ask him out. Rejection from this would be too painful. My self-esteem is pit-bottom, and I know I'm really boring and non-pretty.

It was a whole month later, when we started talking properly. His friend had been trying to hit on me, and called him over for language assistance. We floated around each other that day. The next day, he wasn't there and a regular competitor of his fell into a conversation with me. He revealed how attractive (my crush) found me, and how he was surprised we weren't dating by now. I practically flew home.

Now we talked irregularly in a fortnight on my way home. But things came up and I was unable to see him for a long period, except for a few encounters in passing. He'd told me how he wanted to go back to his home country soon, and since I haven't seen him lately I assume he has. I wish, wish I wasn't so cripplingly shy. I've almost entered into a relationship lately, but ended it as I didn't think it was fair that I was still fantasising about him. Whenever I think about chess now, I associate it with that sexual tension.
    damm..take a guess where i saw the girl i was talking abt (a chess gathering!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Huge physical attraction on first meeting. Lost track of each other. Met again a long time afterwards, started to get to know each other better.

Discovered we had nothing in common. Huge anticlimax.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.