Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Possible Navy Officer? watch

Im currently in the process of confirming my A Level subject choices; Here's what i've chosen:

• Law
    • Government & Politics
    • English Literature & Language (Combined)
    • Music Technology

I'd like to become a Royal Navy Officer Pilot, and in need of 180 UCAS Points; I'm currently a B Graded Student,

1) Will the subjects i've chosen get me the UCAS Points needed?
    2) Will they be beneficial for a navy career?
    3) Are they enjoyable subjects?
    4) English Combined, or English Literature (Alone)?

Answers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

1- The grades you get for those subjects will get you the points, not the subjects themselves [but be careful with the Music, they might not accept it as part of your complement].
    2- They won't hinder you, for sure, but beneficial? Maybe. Gov&Politics could give you a greater awareness of the political pressures behind any decisions taking you into action, but nothing major. They'll be as beneficial as you make them.
    3- Well, do you like them? In which case, yeah, they'll probably be enjoyable. Personally, I'd hate Music Tech and Law, so I wouldn't find them all that enjoyable...
    4- What do you want to do? Which do you think you'll enjoy more and do better at, gaining the higher grades and more UCAS pts?

Bare in mind the cuts made recently and the extra competition for all Pilot slots across the Armed Forces. 180pts is the minimum requirements, other applicants will have more, some will have degrees. You need to think about what will make you stand out as an applicant, why the RN should pick you and then invest millions of pounds in training you.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.