Turn on thread page Beta

Why is disliking the British monarchy being "anti-british"? watch

ReputationRep:
    me and my friend were talking about the royal wedding (well more like she was going on about how great it will be while i sat there nodding)... then she asked me what i was going to do for it... so i told her nothing, i'm not interested in it... she asked me why and i just said i don't like the royal family and i don't have any interest in a wedding of two people i don't know... i then got told that she was "shocked" that i was so anti-british and that since i'm british i should be watching... and that not liking the royal family was like not liking britain. i was actually pretty surprised that someone my age (18) felt this way, i thought it was mainly old(er) people who were really into the royal family.

i love where i live, most of the stuff about britain... i just don't like the royal family.

are there a lot of people who feel the same as my friend?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine with ideological republicanism - I disagree with it, but that's OK. What I will object to is when people do not support the head of state - whomsoever that may be - or make unpleasant remarks towards the Queen who has devoted her life to the service of this country.

That you have chosen to object not to the institution of monarchy, but instead the Royal Family, who have given a huge amount for this country, I find utterly repugnant.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am british and I think the royal wedding is a load of crap. Strangers marriage. Your friend has no life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Its not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    me and my friend were talking about the royal wedding (well more like she was going on about how great it will be while i sat there nodding)... then she asked me what i was going to do for it... so i told her nothing, i'm not interested in it... she asked me why and i just said i don't like the royal family and i don't have any interest in a wedding of two people i don't know... i then got told that she was "shocked" that i was so anti-british and that since i'm british i should be watching... and that not liking the royal family was like not liking britain. i was actually pretty surprised that someone my age (18) felt this way, i thought it was mainly old(er) people who were really into the royal family.

i love where i live, most of the stuff about britain... i just don't like the royal family.

are there a lot of people who feel the same as my friend?
    German. The Royal family are German. And they are illigitimate.

ReputationRep:
    I am proud to be British (I love saying this to self-loathing liberal ****tards) yet I could not give two ****s about what pleb Wills is getting stuck with.

ReputationRep:
    Im all for the wedding and the whole 'supporting the queen' thing. it doesnt matter if you do or dont. its opinion and you shouldnt care what others think, just repsect their views and they'll respect yours (hopefully).

ReputationRep:
    I have the utmost respect for our spiffing Queen, it's disgraceful to see all these whippersnappers disrespecting her majesty :hat:

ReputationRep:
    The Queen is only inferior to God. It is a fact that she, although not necessarily all royals, are biologically, morally, and any other -lly superior to everyone else on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'm fine with ideological republicanism - I disagree with it, but that's OK. What I will object to is when people do not support the head of state - whomsoever that may be - or make unpleasant remarks towards the Queen who has devoted her life to the service of this country.

That you have chosen to object not to the institution of monarchy, but instead the Royal Family, who have given a huge amount for this country, I find utterly repugnant.
    the only members of the royal family i actually like are princess anne and the queen... the nobodies i don't really count as being "the royal family" (anyone who isn't a close relation to queen) i don't have any opinion of personally... same with a couple more. they are actually paid for what they do though you know. the ones i don't like are philip, charles and a few others.

i did actually mean the monarchy as an institution though.

ReputationRep:
    i like the monarchy
    i don't care about the royal wedding....
    some girl who stalked the prince from a young age and has a HISTORY OF ART degree....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Well I am british and I think the royal wedding is a load of crap. Strangers marriage. Your friend has no life.
    It's not a private event, it's a public one. An heir to the Throne is marrying, and hopefully our royal lineage will be secured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald City)
    I am proud to be British (I love saying this to self-loathing liberal ****tards) yet I could not give two ****s about what pleb Wills is getting stuck with.

(Original post by Emerald City)
    Exactly just like all asian Muslims are not British, they are Pakistani.
    i'm guessing you're into BNP/UKIP... i'm nothing to do with that lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Im all for the wedding and the whole 'supporting the queen' thing. it doesnt matter if you do or dont. its opinion and you shouldnt care what others think, just repsect their views and they'll respect yours (hopefully).
    yeah i don't have a problem if people like the monarchy, it's just when she said this to me i was a bit

ReputationRep:
    It's incredibly British to complain about things, especially when social class is involved. Tally-ho.

ReputationRep:
    I am strongly opposed to the monarchy, and do not consider myself anti-british at all.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, disliking people who live off benefits is very British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's not a private event, it's a public one. An heir to the Throne is marrying, and hopefully our royal lineage will be secured.
    It's not our royal lineage, these people are just German aristocrats who married into our royal family centuries ago and are only affiliated by marriage. We've never had a royal lineage, for thousands of years our rulers have been the leaders of the armies who have invaded and conquered and raped our land. Clinging onto them as idols is just pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

It's not like they've done it out of the goodness of their heart though you idiot, they're an unelected head of state who get 'a huge amount' back from the country, mainly in the form of our taxes.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. Why do some Americans say that disliking the war in Iraq makes you anti-American? why did some Soviets say that disliking the Politburo made you anti-Soviet?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.