Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is disliking the British monarchy being "anti-british"? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Has it not occured to you that these myths are just that, myths?
    She probably does have ancestors that were Pictish and Mercian kings (among others). That was so long ago, she probably is related to nearly all of the ruling dynasties from the time. There's a good chance a lot of people are, but given the tendency for royals to marry into other royal families (aka. inbreeding) she's probably more closely related to them than the average person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    me and my friend were talking about the royal wedding (well more like she was going on about how great it will be while i sat there nodding)... then she asked me what i was going to do for it... so i told her nothing, i'm not interested in it... she asked me why and i just said i don't like the royal family and i don't have any interest in a wedding of two people i don't know... i then got told that she was "shocked" that i was so anti-british and that since i'm british i should be watching... and that not liking the royal family was like not liking britain. i was actually pretty surprised that someone my age (18) felt this way, i thought it was mainly old(er) people who were really into the royal family.

i love where i live, most of the stuff about britain... i just don't like the royal family.

are there a lot of people who feel the same as my friend?
    Your friend is very simple minded and highly uneducated. That is why she feels the way she does.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care for it but that doesn't make me anti-British. It's absurd to think that it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    It's not like they've done it out of the goodness of their heart though you idiot, they're an unelected head of state who get 'a huge amount' back from the country, mainly in the form of our taxes.
    They've also been raised their whole lives to do this one, singular role. They haven't had much choice in this regard. I occasionally feel sorry for the members of the royal family. They might have wealth and comfort but they're also bound to do a single task because of the blood that runs through their veins and are praised for virtue of existing rather than for their own merit or skills they achieve. 'Tis a gilded cage but a cage nonetheless.

EDIT: If I didn't make myself clear I'm a Republican.

ReputationRep:
    It's not, it's a complete non sequitur. I don't really see why anyone should necessarily care about people they don't know who attained their status through mere, morally aribtrary, birth right - an affront to justice, which any person of fairness should oppose.

ReputationRep:
    Thy choicest gifts in store, on her be pleased to pour!
    Long may she reign!
    May she defend our laws
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    It's not, it's a complete non sequitur. I don't really see why anyone should necessarily care about people they don't know who attained their status through mere, morally aribtrary, birth right - an affront to justice, which any person of fairness should oppose.
    Who they are means nothing, it's what they do that makes people respect them.

The queen did not ask for her job, yet she has taken the job in her stride, the same job that she saw drive her father to an early grave.

If we did not have the queen we would have some elected politican or someone else in place, who would not be able to carry out her job with such professionalism and unquestioning duty, and who would probably end up being hated on by a lot more people than the queen.

Either way, good luck trying to get rid of her, she commands the loyalty of the army, airforce and the navy. and i reckon about 20 loyal guardsmen could probably put a fairly swift end to an uprising from thousands of guardian hippies (who by the way represent the minority of the country who want the monarchy abolished).

On topic: Disliking the idea of the monarchy doesn't make you anti-british, but I honestly can't see how anybody could hold any kind of hostile feelings towards the queen herself! She is a tiny 84 year old woman who has spent the last 60 years in service of this country, god save the queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'm fine with ideological republicanism - I disagree with it, but that's OK. What I will object to is when people do not support the head of state - whomsoever that may be - or make unpleasant remarks towards the Queen who has devoted her life to the service of this country.

That you have chosen to object not to the institution of monarchy, but instead the Royal Family, who have given a huge amount for this country, I find utterly repugnant.
    I know right,poor them! It must be so hard living in a palace with your every need catered to! I mean being treated like royalty is nothing short of a nightmare for most of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Are you consistently on the extreme left, or does it just happen to be on this one issue?
    On most issues, as it happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    God save the queen
    The fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

God save the queen
    She ain't no human being
    There is no future
    In England's dreaming!
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy isn't even British they're German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    I honestly do not know how you can support the royals. What have they ever done for us? Their ancestors have controlled us for centuries. They have marched us off to wars and stolen from us. It's only in the last 100 years that the monarchy have lost their power, and surprisingly that's also the time that people started liking the monarchy.
    No, the monarchy started losing its power in 1215 with the Magna Carta, where we gave way to legal (if not de facto) absolutism to constitutional monarchy. A few Stewarts tried to reverse the settlement, and look where it got them.

You aren't so ignorant of history as to sincerely believe that the monarchy has not been popular amongst the people for more than a century, are you?

(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    I know right,poor them! It must be so hard living in a palace with your every need catered to! I mean being treated like royalty is nothing short of a nightmare for most of us.
    Oh, Royalty's every need is not catered to - in fact, their most fundamental "needs" are denied to them. Like many on the political left, you seen incapable of seeing anything except through the prism of material possessions. Living in a palace is far from the be-all and end-all of aspiration - indeed, being Royal has clearly made many members of the Royal Family quite miserable, palaces notwithstanding.

(Original post by Stratos)
    The monarchy isn't even British they're German.
    If you honestly think that, you're a racist. If you're just saying it to see what effect it has, you're a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    No, the monarchy started losing its power in 1215 with the Magna Carta, where we gave way to legal (if not de facto) absolutism to constitutional monarchy. A few Stewarts tried to reverse the settlement, and look where it got them.

You aren't so ignorant of history as to sincerely believe that the monarchy has not been popular amongst the people for more than a century, are you?

Oh, Royalty's every need is not catered to - in fact, their most fundamental "needs" are denied to them. Like many on the political left, you seen incapable of seeing anything except through the prism of material possessions. Living in a palace is far from the be-all and end-all of aspiration - indeed, being Royal has clearly made many members of the Royal Family quite miserable, palaces notwithstanding.

If you honestly think that, you're a racist. If you're just saying it to see what effect it has, you're a troll.
    Magna Carta rolls nice on the tongue. Why is it that the ancients were much better at naming things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Magna Carta rolls nice on the tongue. Why is it that the ancients were much better at naming things.
    Because they used Latin to name things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioHawk)
    i like the monarchy
    i don't care about the royal wedding....
    some girl who stalked the prince from a young age and has a HISTORY OF ART degree....
    Kate Middleton is brill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Because they used Latin to name things.
    Perhaps it is my partiality of Latin language which made me believe of greater naming ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Baawww royals living in misery despite having everything
    o if they are miserable then surely it would be cruel to continue to torture them with all the things people in the schemes will never have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    o if they are miserable then surely it would be cruel to continue to torture them with all the things people in the schemes will never have
    The Royal Family are independently wealthy people. Money has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

What matters is that our Queen sees it as her duty to serve the nation in a very meaningful and beneficial way for the duration of her natural life. Good on her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    "I don't like the royal family"
    Are you an indigenous Brit or did your parents/ancestors hail from elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Royal Family are independently wealthy people. Money has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

What matters is that our Queen sees it as her duty to serve the nation in a very meaningful and beneficial way for the duration of her natural life. Good on her.
    Yes traveling the world in luxury, the best money can buy. writing a few speaches here and there of and giving a wave. We dont need them. Money would be better spend on other things. Dont give me the tourists would automaticaly stop coming to the UK BS.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.