The Student Room Group

White History Month

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BillySharp92
Enlighten me. Why isn't there an 'Asian History Month' or perhaps 'South American Culture Week?'

OHHHHHHHHHH so South American culture only gets a WEEK, does it? And it is not even THEIR month, it is their "culture". I see what you did there, you utter racist.

Not to mention your omission of mixed-races! Stop discriminating against them! And what on earth is all this about HIStory all the time? What about FEMALE achievements, you sexist pig?

...yeah, sometimes you can't always give everyone equal exposure. :awesome:
Reply 21
Original post by DJkG.1
What do history classes teach predominantly in the other however many months of study lol?

Well, in R.E. thus far, we've learned about:

Martin Luther King
Ghandi
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa
The Jewish guy who gave his life for someone else' at a concentration camp (Pastor something)
The Muslim faith (how the mosque represents the universe- for instance)
The Sikhs

I kid you not.

Off hand, do you believe that the Milliband brothers are part of the zionist plot, or is it David Cameron who is in fact in collaboration with the green lizards to gas anyone who earns anything under £100,000 a year. Alternatively, is Nick Clegg responsible for 9/11- or was that a zionist plot to end the Arabic states?
Reply 22
Original post by RadioHawk
i can has straight pride parade?

I'm up for it if you are. :awesome:
Reply 23
Enlighten me. Why isn't there an 'Asian History Month' or perhaps 'South American Culture Week?'

Eloquently put my another member:

Because in the western world Black people are the faction which experiences the majority of racism (Though, recently Muslims have had a rough time too). Black history month is there to remind us that black people are capable of just as much as the rest of us and to highlight the battle they had to endure for centuries.

It's not like anybody has outlawed history months for certain ethnic minorities, how stupid can you get?
Reply 24
Original post by Duvet
This is something which is desperately needed; white people are extremely under-represented in the study of history.

Original post by Emerald City
White people are not allowed to celebrate their history, culture or the contributions by their ancestors. Nor are they allowed to have an identity.

So no.

Are you serious I've been learning about white people's culture, history since I started school and so does everyone else.

Point is, why does one SPECIFIC race have a month dedicated to museums and the such exhibiting their achievements and history?

You could argue that "it's because they're a minority- they need awareness." Yet no other ethnic minority gets such coverage. Why aren't things like this made illegal?

Why should it be made illegal? It's educating people and celebrating 'multiculturism'.
I've always got a bit annoyed with black history month but I have always admired the brave men and women who stood up for their natural born rights.
To be quite honest I don't think there should be a black history month. Sure go ahead and learn the brave acts and mass change in America but appreciate all aspects of democracy and great achievement in society regardless of race. So many great things have happened in this world and it seems a little bit sad to still define people through race and their achievements. Especially in the UK!
Reply 26
Original post by SimplyBruno
Because in the western world Black people are the faction which experiences the majority of racism (Though, recently Muslims have had a rough time too). Black history month is there to remind us that black people are capable of just as much as the rest of us and to highlight the battle they had to endure for centuries.

Islam is not a race.
Reply 27

because they've not had to work their way out of slavery. Duh
Reply 28
Well, in R.E. thus far, we've learned about:

Martin Luther King
Ghandi
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa
The Jewish guy who gave his life for someone else' at a concentration camp (Pastor something)
The Muslim faith (how the mosque represents the universe- for instance)
The Sikhs

I kid you not.

Wow. We spent all our time doing Christianity - though it was a Christian school I suppose.

Off hand, do you believe that the Milliband brothers are part of the zionist plot, or is it David Cameron who is in fact in collaboration with the green lizards to gas anyone who earns anything under £100,000 a year. Alternatively, is Nick Clegg responsible for 9/11- or was that a zionist plot to end the Arabic states?

Lmao. No - I just believe Israel is operating a despicable apartheid entity.

See here for an explanation of my sig:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30475336&postcount=26
Reply 29
Original post by SimplyBruno

Oh boo-hoo. Surely this draws more attention to the fact that they're different then, the fundamental flaw behind anything trying to alleviate discrimination past a certain point. Don't we get enough PC nonsense thrust down our throats anyway?
Reply 30
There seem to be a lot of people attempting to fight against the idea of white history month being racist (or any more so than black history month), when in fact nobody has said it is racist. You're arguing with an opponent who doesn't exist.
Reply 31
Original post by Ebuwa
Are you serious I've been learning about white people's culture, history since I started school and so does everyone else.

Why should it be made illegal? It's educating people and celebrating 'multiculturism'.

Why on earth should we celebrate multiculturalism? I think even Labour has conceded it's failed (though obviously not to all us liberal minded middle class students who of course have no idea what multiculturalism actually feels like for the majority...).
Reply 32
it's the same thing with gay parade, we don't have straight parades cos they're the minority. no(hardly anyone) hates white people, go to Africa you're received with open arms. You're not a minority nor were you seen to be less than human at any point in time
**** it, it seems like this is going down as Rebecca Black History Month anyway.
Oh boo-hoo. Surely this draws more attention to the fact that they're different then, the fundamental flaw behind anything trying to alleviate discrimination past a certain point. Don't we get enough PC nonsense thrust down our throats anyway?

Of course they're different. We're all different, difference in skin colour just makes our differences slightly more obvious. You can not possibly say you've met any two people who are exactly same and differences in people from different cultures (as people with different skin colours are the majority of the time from different cultures) are even more different to us (for lack of better expression). Black history month, however, reminds us that it's not all about Hitler and Churchill. Plus as has been mentioned earlier, it attempts to fix some glaring mistakes in popular history (or the ****e people think is history, as I like to think of it).

Original post by Aj12
How about we just have human history.

Er... no. "White History" only goes back to some thousands of years - before then, The African was first...

Therefore, "Black History" dates much further than "White History".
Reply 36
Original post by dmz
it's the same thing with gay parade, we don't have straight parades cos they're the minority. no(hardly anyone) hates white people, go to Africa you're received with open arms. You're not a minority nor were you seen to be less than human at any point in time

Hmmmm, I lliked this until you mentioned

"no(hardly anyone) hates white people, go to Africa you're received with open arms."

I hope you are aware of what Mr Mugabe has been up to for the last 20 years or so? Are you inferring that black people are less racist and therefore different?
Original post by Ebuwa
Islam is not a race.

:smile: No, but it's something which is discriminated against (Mostly by the tabloids)
Maybe we should have a month for every ethnicity or culture so everyone is appreciated and equal.

Or no one should have a special month/week/ day and the history of every culture and ethnicity should be spread equally through the system regardless.
Reply 39
It's just called history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending