21.74%
    OMGNAZIPROPAGANDAHERPDERP
    8.70%

ReputationRep:
    Gay pride? why not straight pride?
    or victim to societies double standards

i'm not homophobic i have a friend who has a gay friend :loony::hat:

ReputationRep:
    I like it! Straight pride-the idea that is.
    And that won't make you homophobic, just proud of being straight.

there should not be a straight pride
    and there should not be a gay pride either, being homosexual should not give them more rights then straight people, all it does anyway is make sure theres a bigger gap between homosexuality and heterosexuality which is what "we" are trying to get rid of

ReputationRep:
    Hurr im a durr so i gutta be proud herpy mcderpo

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in a straight pride? Gay pride encourages people to be 'proud' of who they are and raises awareness that sexual orientation and gender identity is something you have no control over and cannot change. Many gays find it hard to accept themselves and some people don't 'come out' for their entire lives, especially amongst religious communities, i.e they are ashamed of who they are.. opposite of 'pride'.

Homophobia is still common in society today; maybe not so much in the UK, but in some countries ( i believe its 9 countries now) the punishment for homosexual acts is the death penalty, but it's still obviously present in the UK too; I know of 2 quite serious seperate homophobic attacks which gay people I know were involved in. Broken noses, badly bruised faces etc.

Have you ever had any problems with heterophobia? Ever been stared at in disgust and been papped by passing cars while holding your girlfriends hand in the street? Does there reeeeally need to be a straight pride? I've never heard of any straight person being ashamed of their sexuality.

There are still events held for other 'victims of society' aswell, to think otherwise means you've obviously not done your research before posting O_o

(Original post by Toquin)
    there should not be a straight pride
    and there should not be a gay pride either, being homosexual should not give them more rights then straight people, all it does anyway is make sure theres a bigger gap between homosexuality and heterosexuality which is what "we" are trying to get rid of
    What about gay pride makes it so that gays get more rights? The point of gay pride is for people to accept their sexuality and to raise awareness that sexuaity & gender identity is something you cannot control, not to go begging the government for gay benefits.
    Let's go back to the 1950s, gay pride barely existed, "we" didn't do a very good job of eradicating homophobia and the 'gaps' were a hell of a lot bigger then than they are now, so obviously something wasn't working. You have to raise awareness, that's the most effective way of eradicating homophobia, which is what gay pride does.

(Original post by Lewk)
    What's the point in a straight pride? Gay pride encourages people to be 'proud' of who they are and raises awareness that sexual orientation and gender identity is something you have no control over and cannot change. Many gays find it hard to accept themselves and some people don't 'come out' for their entire lives, especially amongst religious communities, i.e they are ashamed of who they are.. opposite of 'pride'.

Homophobia is still common in society today; maybe not so much in the UK, but in some countries ( i believe its 9 countries now) the punishment for homosexual acts is the death penalty, but it's still obviously present in the UK too; I know of 2 quite serious seperate homophobic attacks which gay people I know were involved in. Broken noses, badly bruised faces etc.

Have you ever had any problems with heterophobia? Ever been stared at in disgust and been papped by passing cars while holding your girlfriends hand in the street? Does there reeeeally need to be a straight pride? I've never heard of any straight person being ashamed of their sexuality.

There are still events held for other 'victims of society' aswell, to think otherwise means you've obviously not done your research before posting O_o

What about gay pride makes it so that gays get more rights? The point of gay pride is for people to accept their sexuality and to raise awareness that sexuaity & gender identity is something you cannot control, not to go begging the government for gay benefits.
    Let's go back to the 1950s, gay pride barely existed, "we" didn't do a very good job of eradicating homophobia and the 'gaps' were a hell of a lot bigger then than they are now, so obviously something wasn't working. You have to raise awareness, that's the most effective way of eradicating homophobia, which is what gay pride does.
    so going around on pink floats half naked waving your **** about is going to help people who have homophobic issues?>.>

ReputationRep:
    so going around on pink floats half naked waving your **** about is going to help people who have homophobic issues?>.>
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Gay pride is just a massive ****fest.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that's all there is to it I wouldn't believe you if you told me you've been to a gay pride event...

Of course theres gona be people who think waving dildos around is appropriate, people that have been oppressed tend to over do it when they get the chance... but theres plenty of people who come along and act normally, not looking for sex. By evening though the chances are it will have degenerated into a load of drunks who just dance around half naked who came along just for the party, its inevitable that people like that will turn up.

ReputationRep:
    When have straight people ever been oppressed? Idiot.

(Original post by Lewk)
    If you think that's all there is to it I wouldn't believe you if you told me you've been to a gay pride event...
    no, but thats what catches the attention and becomes known to the types of people who do have homophobic thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Straight pride
    Happy not to be homosexual, not saying it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I am a proud supporter of OMGNAZIPROPAGANDAHERPDERP.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see the point or need for straight pride. People are not oppressed for being straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cakefish)
    I am a proud supporter of OMGNAZIPROPAGANDAHERPDERP.
    i needed a 4th :cool:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.