The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed with graph drawing!!

I have to draw a graph to compare the predation of two species over time..

This is the data I have:
Asterionella: (no. colonies ml-1)
Control = 12400
6hr = 5100
12hr = 7600

Chlamydomonas: (no. cells ml-1)
Control = 50200
6hr = 33400
12hr = 7500

I have no idea which sort of graph is best to use as one is for colony count and one is for cells and I'm getting myself all in a muddle

I initially did in in a bar chart form with a bar for each species next to each other with the time along the x-axis - is this the right format to use!? I just struggle with choosing the right sort of graph initally so any help in appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by chemsitrynightmare
I have to draw a graph to compare the predation of two species over time..

This is the data I have:
Asterionella: (no. colonies ml-1)
Control = 12400
6hr = 5100
12hr = 7600

Chlamydomonas: (no. cells ml-1)
Control = 50200
6hr = 33400
12hr = 7500

I have no idea which sort of graph is best to use as one is for colony count and one is for cells and I'm getting myself all in a muddle

I initially did in in a bar chart form with a bar for each species next to each other with the time along the x-axis - is this the right format to use!? I just struggle with choosing the right sort of graph initally so any help in appreciated.

Are you only given 3 sets of data for each species? If so then yeah, I think that a bar chart should do the job nicely.
I would do, both controls together, and then 6hr, and 12hr - that would show a good comparison. Just make sure you use different colours (one for Asterionella and a different one for Chlamydomonas).
Also don't forget the usual things like units, labelling of axis and a title :smile:
Reply 2
To draw a time graph a line graph would tell you the expected growth. X-axis would be time line and y would be count. Bar graph is only used to compare the difference at a point in time and not a trend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending