Turn on thread page Beta

The Tories: Once a party of bigots, always a party of bigots watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    The falklands... really, what were we fighting for there.
    British territory.

Bill and Star are not bigots, nor are they racist. I can say this with confidence because I actually know them, and have worked alongside them and Tory members from varying backgrounds previously.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what does it contribute, if was a major oil supplier or somthing to that effect then yeah it would have been beneficial but as far as i know they're just islands. i mean we didnt keep many of the territories did we? also i dont think we go there again if this situation came about again.

ReputationRep:
    Did you say bigot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    There you go - you are being intolerant towards a group. You are generalising and being bigoted
    Good God man. I'm not generalizing, I just dislike the Tory party. I'm not prejudice towards them, I just disagree with their policies. The fact that I'm willing to see that they should not have been suspended shows that I'm not bigoted, that I'm not willing to jump on any story against the Tories. I'm fair in my dislike, I just dislike Tory policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Good God man. I'm not generalizing, I just dislike the Tory party. I'm not prejudice towards them, I just disagree with their policies. The fact that I'm willing to see that they should not have been suspended shows that I'm not bigoted, that I'm not willing to jump on any story against the Tories. I'm fair in my dislike, I just dislike Tory policies.
    But you didn't say Conservative Party or Tory party you said Tories which implies individuals.

ReputationRep:
    But you didn't say Conservative Party or Tory party you said Tories which implies individuals.
    When I say 'Tories' I'm relating to the party, obviously. It's impersonal and has nothing to do with the individual. What is the point in this?

ReputationRep:
    Wog-Gate anyone?

ReputationRep:
    They're frigging toys, jesus.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooooooooooh! That's serious! Who complained? Spongebob Squarepants?

If you don't like our teddys, don't come to our country.

ReputationRep:
    This is outrageous. I really can't believe the Conservative party would stoop so low as to have somebody like this in the party.

Look at her education info. No wonder the Conservatives kicked her out of the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Tory husband and wife who posed with golliwogs on Facebook forced out of Conservative party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ervatives.html

Disgusting. The sad thing is, this is exactly the kind of attitude you will find right the way through the Tory Party, from top to bottom. It is essentially a party of small minded bigots; always has been, and always will be. The fact that the pair are unable to see what they did was wrong says it all.
    They should NOT have been fired. The golliwog dolls are actually quite cute. We should get over silly things such as this. They were not being racist or bigoted, or taunting black people. Those dolls are a neutral cultural icon unless used otherwise. Freedom of expression, freedom of speech, my arse.

ReputationRep:
    You really can't generalise two people to the whole party. Tony Blair went to war with Iraq, but I'm sure most wouldn't say that all Labour supporters are war mongrels.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal with golliwogs. When I was a kid in the 1990's and early 2000's, I can remember we had a puzzle with the golliwog on. Maybe we have still got it. I can also remember it being on the back of jam. I didn't for one second think it was a black person. It is just a harmless toy. And from what I have heard, most black people don't find it offensive. It is just the politically correct elitists who want to make a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they just local councillors? We have local councillors in our town parading round the streets carry a big cross and shouting "Repent! Repent!".

ReputationRep:
    Tory husband and wife who posed with golliwogs on Facebook forced out of Conservative party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ervatives.html

Disgusting. The sad thing is, this is exactly the kind of attitude you will find right the way through the Tory Party, from top to bottom. It is essentially a party of small minded bigots; always has been, and always will be. The fact that the pair are unable to see what they did was wrong says it all.

You have the same effect 'Red Ed' has on me - I feel so angry at your inconsistent use of facts.

You are using two Conservative supporters and claiming that the part as a whole is bigoted? Incredible! You, sir, are a genius!

Ok, let us look at the facts. Bigotry is when you discriminate or attack somebody because they are not the same as you. That very much makes every single Labour supporter a bigot because they will mock any conservative who so much as earns more than them. Look at today's budget speech - when Osborne was making comments about the wealthiest putting in more, the Labour MPs were laughing at him.

Do me a favour - be more balanced, and don't just use a small sample to justify your irrational hatred of anything that isn't Labour. You people are just so small-minded.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown, then Prime Minister, called Labour supporter Gillian Duffy a bigot.
    Im now going to take your logic and conclude that ALL labour supporters are bigots, and ALL Labour politicians are douchebags.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Teveth. I was all ready to charge my lazor, then I thought to myself. 'You know, I bet this is Teveth.'

And lo I was right. You're such a silly sausage. Are you angry because Trolls don't have much social mobility and tend to be stuck in the working class?

ReputationRep:
    Tory husband and wife who posed with golliwogs on Facebook forced out of Conservative party.
    But if they were racists why would they have a cuddly toy of a black person? I seriously doubt golliwogs are very popular amongst the BNP or NF.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. It's a toy that is representative of a character from books written by Florence Upton.

To be honest, if you think that being called a golliwogg is offensive, I must ask, what are you dressing like? I haven't ever seen a black person that looks like a golliwogg.

There is nothing offensive about a rag doll.
    Are you genuinely trying to be stupid or are you just pretending you don't see what is blindingly obvious to help prove your point. Obviously, no black person looks like a golliwogg, thats because it is a CARICATURE. It is intended exaggerate the stereotypical black facial features as a means of ridicule. Secondly if you even did a bit of research into the book you will see that the golliwogg character was intended to be a minstrel. A direct quote from wikiepdia
    A product of the blackface minstrel tradition, the character was classic "darkie" iconography. The Golliwogg had jet black skin; bright, red lips; and wild, woolly hair.
    I'm not saying that I even personally found their stunt offensive, but its obvious that some people would and the politician's decision to go through with it despite knowing it as well shows obvious insensitivity on their part.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.