Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Tories: Once a party of bigots, always a party of bigots Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Tory husband and wife who posed with golliwogs on Facebook forced out of Conservative party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ervatives.html

Disgusting. The sad thing is, this is exactly the kind of attitude you will find right the way through the Tory Party, from top to bottom. It is essentially a party of small minded bigots; always has been, and always will be. The fact that the pair are unable to see what they did was wrong says it all.
    You are an idiot.
    2 People means the whole tory party.
    Have you heard of Jack Straw and Phil Woolas recently? There are more labour MPs, I can point to who are nothing but vile.
    Let's be honest with ourselves- Labour, from their very base share sympathies with the likes of the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Are you genuinely trying to be stupid or are you just pretending you don't see what is blindingly obvious to help prove your point. Obviously, no black person looks like a golliwogg, thats because it is a CARICATURE. It is intended exaggerate the stereotypical black facial features as a means of ridicule. Secondly if you even did a bit of research into the book you will see that the golliwogg character was intended to be a minstrel. A direct quote from wikiepdia I'm not saying that I even personally found their stunt offensive, but its obvious that some people would and the politician's decision to go through with it despite knowing it as well shows obvious insensitivity on their part.
    Yes we should all live our lives in the shadow that someone might find it offensive. Sorry, I couldn't give a crap. People offend me quite often by engaging in certain activities but I don't go home crying about it.

We have freedom of expression in this country, or we are supposed to. The couple freely expressed themselves. We do not have freedom from offense, although it would appear we do.

It's absolute nonsense.

ReputationRep:

He just constantly posts anti-tory threads which have such ridiculous backing. Everyone should add him to ignore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Tory husband and wife who posed with golliwogs on Facebook forced out of Conservative party

Disgusting. The sad thing is, this is exactly the kind of attitude you will find right the way through the Tory Party, from top to bottom. It is essentially a party of small minded bigots; always has been, and always will be. The fact that the pair are unable to see what they did was wrong says it all.
    It depends how you see those dolls. I, fully understanding the racist connotations connected to them, still see them as just dolls which later had racist connotations linked to them.

They were intended to be innocent, inoffensive dolls, so they will always be just that.

That's like saying a Polly Pocket is offensive against Essex girls. Or a Cabbage Patch dolls are offensive against fat, spoiled children.

ReputationRep:
    The Labour Party: Once a party of fascists, always a party of fascist
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1584167

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.