Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Find an independent caterer, they might be able to help. My mother was a self-employed caterer until last year and could cook full roasts then deliver them on the day if they were local. The only real difference here would be delivering to a park rather than a house, and you wouldn't have the ability to reheat anything if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    Thanks, I found a bunch of caterers on a website and have send out a bunch of inquiries so one at least should answer soon!
    Cook it yourself!

- I have this thing at home called a skillet, it's just two deep frying pans that can clip onto each other to make a mini 'oven', enough to fit a few potatoes and a joint of beef if you cut it in half I'd imagine. It's good for caravans and that type of thing...google 'double skillet' you will see what I mean. You will need a camping stove type thing for the heat, it's easy to boil the vegetables like this too.

-Cook it at home, then warm it up using a disposable barbecue and two roasting tins (you can get disposable ones if you prefer) clamped together, kind of like the skillet idea.

- Maybe bring a thermos flask full of hot water to quickly make the gravy before you serve.

You will save a LOT of money and earn massive kudos if this is for a date type thing.

ReputationRep:
    Cook it yourself, although im not best clued up on that xD
    Or.
    Cook it yourself/have someone else cook it.
    And then pay a friend, or family member or whatever.. to bring it to you while your in said park, to surprise her completely, and ultimately end in her loving you so much you have great sex. Good times had by all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    Thanks a lot this is really helpful as I'm still 50/50 on whether to cook it myself or not.

I'm deciding based on the price estimates the caterers give me... It's for my girlfriend's birthday and she wants a Christmas dinner.

We're from South east London though so it's a bit of a treck and I'm the clumsiest person ever but I guess this is doable, especially as I'm at uni and am allready in my overdraft lol! Thanks!

edit: and as it happens I'm off to the beach tomorrow with friends and we're having a bbq so I'll get to practice on a disposable one as I haven't done it before
    Haha I bet you wished you could just her an expensive ring now and be done with it now! I guess a turkey crown would be small enough to do outdoors, not sure where you would find one at this time of the year though.

I think your best bet is to do it at home then warm it up, if you try and do it at Hyde Park and anything goes wrong at all, it's going to be a disaster. It will also take hours. Cooking a roast at home is hard enough.

With the barbecue all you have to do is warm it up and make some gravy. Just take the food in tins or plastic containers..have a nice bbq!

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me want a roast dinner.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.