Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I change my last name? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should I change my last name from 'Wardle' to 'de la Vega'?
    Yes
    80.30%
    No
    19.70%

ReputationRep:
    Hi general populace of TSR :P

I'd just like to hear some peoples opinons about changing your name via deed poll.

I'm half Spanish, my father grew up in Gibraltar and moved to the UK when he was still a child with his mother and father. Upon arrival to the UK my grandfather (who was in the Navy at the time) decided to change his Spanish last name to a more British sounding one (apparently due to the prejudice associated with being Spanish at the time, think fascism).

My father has been thinking of changing his name back for years and now since my grandfather has passed away, he's decided to change his name back to the original. I've had a chat with him and asked him if I could do it too.

It's quite a rare spanish name, and we both don't particularly want it to die out. Besides, I like it orders of magnitude more than my british name. I speak the language fluently, and I do intend to move to Spain after university

The name change would be 'Wardle' to 'de la Vega'

Any first hand experiences with name changing would be nice, I'm not sure how my friends would react, or how much documentation I would need to change (passports, driver's licence etc...)

Thanks,

Oliver. :3

ReputationRep:
    do it, de la vega sounds awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have any experience-advice to offer, but I say go for it! Especially if it means something to you personally. Will you be changing your TSR name!? xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    Don't have any experience-advice to offer, but I say go for it! Especially if it means something to you personally. Will you be changing your TSR name!? xD
    Haha, I never thought about that :P. I guess I'd just have to pester a MOD long enough. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    But then you'd have to make a new TSR account!

Makes it an even tougher decision.

ReputationRep:
    Do it! And you should make this a poll.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it sounds awesome.I think you do the deed poll thing and then probably have to send copies of it to change the name on your passport and such. You'll have to do a lot of phoning up (banks, doctors etc) to change your registered name. :P

ReputationRep:
    Wardle you do with your old surname? :gah:

Change it if you'd like to, or you can make it a double barrelled surname.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Wardle you do with your old surname? :gah:

Change it if you'd like to, or you can make it a double barrelled surname.
    You get rep :3

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like it's something you already want to do and I can't imagine why anyone would give you hassle for it (except bureaucrats) it's an awesome name and it's not like your just bored of your own or want to be Barry D'Live for teh lolz

Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Wardle reminds me of a penguin. Or a fat person waddling. :3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think you should! I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually quite like your surname as it is, but de la Vega is AWESOMESAUCE.

I've been considering something along the same lines myself recently...But I guess for me it would be more on a whim. My parents haven't been together for a good few years now, and though I don't mind my father's surname, I much prefer my mother's maiden name, just because it sounds nicer I guess. It's strange because I'm considering sort of the opposite of what you are- I'd be going from an 'exotic' (but always mispronounced into something rude or insulting) surname to a much more English one.

Thing is, your name is your identity...As much as I'd prefer the other name, I can't imagine going on Facebook and seeing that name and thinking "yep, that's me!" It's just such a big part of you...I don't know.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, and good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    de le Vega sounds awesome. The sort of name you'd get on CSI: Miami with Horatio Cain lowering those sunglasses and going "we'll get you Vega....just wait and see.."

ReputationRep:
    de la Vega sounds badass.
    Wardle sounds so rubbish!

Though Wardle1337 de la Vega does sound pretty awesome too.

ReputationRep:
    'Oliver de la Vega' sounds like an awesome name.

Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a British surname and Arabic first name (I'm mixed race)

I've always been known by my English surname through school and everything although my passport was in my other name for some reason. I just went to the solicitor and had her write a letter declaring my name officially changed and sent a copy to the passport office/DLV. It's actually very easy.

ReputationRep:
    Damn.
    I wish I had a cool a surname as that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wardle1337)
    Hi general populace of TSR :P

I'd just like to hear some peoples opinons about changing your name via deed poll.

I'm half Spanish, my father grew up in Gibraltar and moved to the UK when he was still a child with his mother and father. Upon arrival to the UK my grandfather (who was in the Navy at the time) decided to change his Spanish last name to a more British sounding one (apparently due to the prejudice associated with being Spanish at the time, think fascism).

My father has been thinking of changing his name back for years and now since my grandfather has passed away, he's decided to change his name back to the original. I've had a chat with him and asked him if I could do it too.

It's quite a rare spanish name, and we both don't particularly want it to die out. Besides, I like it orders of magnitude more than my british name. I speak the language fluently, and I do intend to move to Spain after university

The name change would be 'Wardle' to 'de la Vega'

Any first hand experiences with name changing would be nice, I'm not sure how my friends would react, or how much documentation I would need to change (passports, driver's licence etc...)

Thanks,

Oliver. :3
    Wasn't that Zorro's surname?

Anyway think screw the whole Spanish thing and change it to MAX POWER! The name you'd like to touch, but you mustn't touch.

ReputationRep:
    But Wardle sounds so...sexy. I mean, if I met a guy in real life with the surname Wardle, I think I would. And I'm not even gay.

ReputationRep:
    I changed my surname to disassociate myself from my father. It was the best thing I ever did. There is a bit of documentation to mess around with, and I've had a bit of trouble applying for bank accounts because my name doesn't automatically come up on the system, just make sure you change your passport and driving license, and tell your bank immediately. Everything else can wait. If you show a deed poll to someone it normally solves everything, my uni even let me register in my new name when all my ID was in my old name and I'd applied under the old name. I say go for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.