Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depression; Appointment with Programme leader tomorrow; URGENT HELP PLEASE watch

I have suffered from depression since the end of 2009/beginning of 2010...

Last year i failed to complete all my modules (2 exams and dissertation)

I was told to do them this year, but not attend uni, just submit the outstanding disso and 2 exams...

I have not made progress with my dissertation, mainly because I have had to focus on my recovery the past 6 months, I have one work, but not nearly enough work, and no way near my usualy pace of gettting stuff done!

My exams are in May, and my disso is due in April...

Now, at this point, I am no longer suicidal so in my eyes I have made huuuuuge progress when it comes to my mental health.

It's too bad this huuuuge progress is not reflected in my work.

For the past week I have been trying to muster the courage to ask my uni for an extension for my disso. I was worried about asking, as;

a) it's embarassing and i feel guilty/don't want to be judged
    b) they have already given me since spetember to sort myself out, so surely I should have had a disso done by then!?!?!?
    c) I don't want them to think i couldn't handle the course and withdraw me from it, when im this close to finishing (I literally only have the disso and 2 exams left, EVERYTHING else, other exams assignments etc are all done)

So there I am, worried as hell about how im goint approach them, and then I get a call today, out of the blue, asking how im getting on. I confessed everything. I hated it. I now have an appointment with my programme leader tomorrow to "discuss thinges...."

Are they going to ask me to withdraw from the programme?

Im gonna try my hardest to convince them that I had to focus on my mental health, rather than my work for the past 6 months...(which is true tbh) and that I have made progress, (I am no longer suicidal) and to prove this I am still willing to sit the exams in May, but just hae a bit of time in the summer to hand in the disso?

Ugh, im scared!

Please someone give me advice and calm me down!

I wish I could shoot depression in its big ugly face....

Can anyoone help me? Advise me?

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right to get yourself feeling better. I would just explain everything to them. Is this the first contact they have made with you?

(Original post by sunfowers01)
    I think you're right to get yourself feeling better. I would just explain everything to them. Is this the first contact they have made with you?
    Thankyou soo much for replying!

I haven't slept yet, and my appointment is in a few hours.

This is the first time they contacted me this academic year...

but obviously, they were made aware last year when I told them I wasn't in any condition to do my final exams and dissertation...they also had various letters from my GP last year...

Im soo grateful for allowing me to submit my disso and exams this year, and I aso feel guilty, because I have had no other work to do since october, so really I should have had plenty of time to get my disso sorted, and be ready for my exams.

I mean, a disso and 2 exams...THAT's IT...that's all I had to do this year, and I failed....

It makes me feel so pathetic, but I had to focus 100% on my health..I tried doing my uni work and getting better at the same time, last year, but it was getting me nowhere. I needed the break from it all.

Now we are in March, and I have made alot of progress with my depression, but not my disso.

And now their going to look at me with raised eyebrows I guess...

Im so embaressed and Im so scared they will ask me to withdraw...

Im going to propose that i sit both my exams in May, but ask for an extension for my dissertation, and hopefully hand it in the summer?
    Does this sound reasonable?

Please bear in mind that they tried to ngive me extensions etc last year but to no avail.

They have to draw a line somewhere?

sorry for typos, im tying quite frantically at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    Op is screwed. They have blatantly made this appointment to ask you to withdraw.

Sorry mate, but it's best to expect the worste I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thankyou soo much for replying!

I haven't slept yet, and my appointment is in a few hours.

This is the first time they contacted me this academic year...

but obviously, they were made aware last year when I told them I wasn't in any condition to do my final exams and dissertation...they also had various letters from my GP last year...

Im soo grateful for allowing me to submit my disso and exams this year, and I aso feel guilty, because I have had no other work to do since october, so really I should have had plenty of time to get my disso sorted, and be ready for my exams.

I mean, a disso and 2 exams...THAT's IT...that's all I had to do this year, and I failed....

It makes me feel so pathetic, but I had to focus 100% on my health..I tried doing my uni work and getting better at the same time, last year, but it was getting me nowhere. I needed the break from it all.

Now we are in March, and I have made alot of progress with my depression, but not my disso.

And now their going to look at me with raised eyebrows I guess...

Im so embaressed and Im so scared they will ask me to withdraw...

Im going to propose that i sit both my exams in May, but ask for an extension for my dissertation, and hopefully hand it in the summer?
    Does this sound reasonable?

Please bear in mind that they tried to ngive me extensions etc last year but to no avail.

They have to draw a line somewhere?

sorry for typos, im tying quite frantically at the mo.
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I hadn't realised you had seen my message. What your asking for does sound reasonable, but I'm surprised no one has been in contact with you until now to check how you are. It's also understandable they need to draw a line but I find communication between all the people involved can help this. Feel free to PM me if you want.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Depression doesn't work to a timetable, whether that's an extended one or not. Ultimately your health is important and crucial to you being able to do your uni work. You shouldn't feel pathetic for having focused on getting better :nah:

Be as calm as you can in the meeting and give as much information as you can about what you've been doing since they last saw you (work, medical notes, prescriptions). In my experience, that can make a considerable difference sometimes

Good luck

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Depression doesn't work to a timetable, whether that's an extended one or not. Ultimately your health is important and crucial to you being able to do your uni work. You shouldn't feel pathetic for having focused on getting better :nah:

Be as calm as you can in the meeting and give as much information as you can about what you've been doing since they last saw you (work, medical notes, prescriptions). In my experience, that can make a considerable difference sometimes

Good luck
    Yeah im gonna need it I think, my stomach will be doing jumping jacks when I climb those stairs up to her room....

I just hope they see that im willing to sit my exams, but just need extra time fr the dissertation because so much time has been taken up with recovering.

My doctor wrote me a letter asking for decreased work load, but also said that my anxiety has been "flaring up recently"...

Obviously this contradists he fact that im telling Uni that I am better now...not 100% but I am better...this makes it look like I healed, and now ive magically been depressed, when it doesn;t work like that...

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking medication at the moment?

What year are you in at uni? If you've successfully navigated 2 academic years and this is your final year, obviously you'd like to be able to at least pass the course and have a qualification to show for all your efforts. Increasingly getting well and passing the course are your focus.

Just ensure that the powers that be at your uni are fully aware of your mental health issues. They can't just boot you off the course because of your health issues. I should bloody hope not anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately getting better is far more important than the work. The last thing the university wants to do is pile loads of pressure on you, make you feel worse and potentially suicidal, and then have to deal with the media fallout that would result from that.

So long as you're currently receiving treatment and will be able to get a letter from your doctor proving this, getting another extension should not be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hope the meeting went well

(Original post by sunfowers01)
    Hope the meeting went well
    It did!

It went VERY well!

Thankyou so much for your advice BTW (and to everyone else in this thread also!).

I was sooo worried that they were going to ask me to withdraw from the course! (Nightmare, as i'm so close to finishing)

But they were very understanding.

They have given me an extension for my dissertation, and also arranged an appointment with my supervisor who I have never seen, and he was very kind also. He said he doesn't mind looking at drafts, even though it is well past the deadline to hand in any draft work.

The admin lady at my Uni is an amazingly helpful person. So kind. If I do manage to graduate, im going to give her a bottle of wine because she's probably helped me more than any teacher ever has in my entire schooling career! As admin, she's the one behind the scenes, sorting everything out. I doubt she gets much recognition from the students as to how amazingly helpful she is, but she really has been wonderful support.

My programme leader was definatly more sympathetic than I thought also! I thouyght she was going to think I was a total loser, but she agreed that I should focus on my exams first, as this may give me a little "emotional boost".

Im feeling positive, I don't care, but I AM graduating this year, no ifs no buts!

In the words of Flo Rida (Don't worry, I think he/his music is terrible )

"depression can't even handle me right nowwww!"

lol

lol

ReputationRep:
    It did!

It went VERY well!

Thankyou so much for your advice BTW (and to everyone else in this thread also!).

I was sooo worried that they were going to ask me to withdraw from the course! (Nightmare, as i'm so close to finishing)

They have given me an extension for my dissertation, and also arranged an appointment with my supervisor who I have never seen, and he was very kind also. He said he doesn't mind looking at drafts, even though it is well past the deadline to hand in any draft work.

The admin lady at my Uni is an amazingly helpful person. So kind. If I do manage to graduate, im going to give her a bottle of wine because she's probably helped me more than any teacher ever has in my entire schooling career! As admin, she's the one behind the scenes, sorting everything out. I doubt she gets much recognition from the students as to how amazingly helpful she is, but she really has been wonderful support.

My programme leader was definatly more sympathetic than I thought also! I thouyght she was going to think I was a total loser, but she agreed that I should focus on my exams first, as this may give me a little "emotional boost".

Im feeling positive, I don't care, but I AM graduating this year, no ifs no buts!

lol

lol
    I'm pleased to hear that and wish you the best of luck in the future
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It did!

It went VERY well!

lol

lol
    Really glad to hear that! I think the admin lady would def appreciate it: like you say, such help and efficiency can often go unnoticed by students. I gave the admin person who sorted out the mess that was my Finals a nice bunch of flowers before my Finals started and I think she really appreciated it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.