Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you 'think' ? watch

• View Poll Results: How do you think/process info in your mind?
    words
    29.63%
    audio
    15.74%
    2D pictures
    4.63%
    3D pictures
    2.78%
    2D + audio
    6.48%
    3D + audio
    11.11%
    moving 3D images (with/without audio)
    29.63%

ReputationRep:
    Surely everyone has memories and so therefore everyone must be able to think in 'video' or at least in pictures?

But I tend to think more in terms of connections and what stuff means relative to other stuff rather than visualizing pictures or 3D movies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Surely everyone has memories and so therefore everyone must be able to think in 'video' or at least in pictures.
    Unless they're blind.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly in words, but when I'm adding up numbers or counting, I see the image of dice. Probably too much kids' TV as a youngster. :]

ReputationRep:
    With me brain...

...most of the times

ReputationRep:
    Eeer... just words mostly. Using an example someone else used, if I feel like having a banana I'll think "Hmm, I want a banana". I don't picture a banana in my head or visualise a 3d picture with audio of me going to get a banana... are all you people serious?! :p: I mean it's not like I can't visualise a memory or a picture or a scene if I try to, but I don't generally think that way about generic things- if I know I need to leave at 5 I don't picture a clock in my head and visualise myself leaving, I just say to myself "I need to leave at 5", which seems totally bizarre compared to what everyone else seems to be saying, but surely that way of thinking is like, slower... more distracting.... more confusing/ ambiguous... ? =P I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Words, mostly, but when I'm planning something, I visualize 2D pictures.

ReputationRep:
    All of the above... and some more. If i concentrate on remembering definitions or values of constants etc its always words, for reaction mechanisms or mathematical problems i tend to think in images and sounds. And theres always a bit of background music lol.

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with your question is, that thoughts come before one knew of words, pictures, whatever.

Words and images are just manifestation of a person's thoughts. For example, there have been people who are blind and deaf, yet they have been able to think way before they've learned any words to express their thoughts. Water is water, even if you don't know a word for it. You can still think about wanting to drink some water, even if you've never seen it, and don't know the word for it.

Even to take it further, if you were blind, deaf, and had no nerves in the mouth (and thus could not physically feel water), you could still think about wanting to drink some, because it makes you feel satisfied. That satisfaction is a thought - it isn't a derivative from words or pictures.

Hence, I think in thoughts. These thoughts then often come out in words, sometimes pictures, and actions.

ReputationRep:
    This is such an interesting thread! I think in words when I'm writing stories in my head, moving 3D when I'm thinking of a person (I can usually hear them talking too), numbers (I took further maths a level, sigh :P) and Photographs when I'm thinking of a particular object... The brain is so complex and beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    The trouble with your question is, that thoughts come before one knew of words, pictures, whatever.

Words and images are just manifestation of a person's thoughts. For example, there have been people who are blind and deaf, yet they have been able to think way before they've learned any words to express their thoughts. Water is water, even if you don't know a word for it. You can still think about wanting to drink some water, even if you've never seen it, and don't know the word for it.

Even to take it further, if you were blind, deaf, and had no nerves in the mouth (and thus could not physically feel water), you could still think about wanting to drink some, because it makes you feel satisfied. That satisfaction is a thought - it isn't a derivative from words or pictures.

Hence, I think in thoughts. These thoughts then often come out in words, sometimes pictures, and actions.
    This is interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much a constant inner monologue, unless I'm remembering something which turns it into a recording where my eyes were the camera.

ReputationRep:
    All of them :dontknow:

I pseudo-hear my thoughts/stream of consciousness. I sometimes have visuals of things. Like I was thinking about getting cough medicine last night which involved convoluted visions of me hanging around in Boots looking for Benadryl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)

Interesting idea, but are these "thoughts" per se? I'd argue that even if they are, some thoughts can't exist other than manifested as language or visuals (like the memory of an experience or a complex expression).

This is my new favourite thread.

ReputationRep:
    When concentrating on a particular scenario or imagining something it'll be 3d without audio but day-to-day menial tasks requiring thought are usually a sort of 'voice' in my head :erm:.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think through words and voices. Def not good with pictures. I can sometimes imagine 2D landscapes but not really good at conjuring up images of people :nah:

ReputationRep:
    I think in 2D pictures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Interesting idea, but are these "thoughts" per se? I'd argue that even if they are, some thoughts can't exist other than manifested as language or visuals (like the memory of an experience or a complex expression).

This is my new favourite thread.
    What about children born blind and deaf? Surely they have thoughts before they're taught abstractions ('words') for real-life objects, which happens at a much later age than non-disabled people.

ReputationRep:
    Concepts, all of them abstractions for me.

ReputationRep:
    3-D... moving sometimes :ninja:

People find it weird when I say I don't have a "thinking language" :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I always think of things in situations - which is really weird if you take into account when i think about a past memory i see 'myself' in the 3D scene with people talking etc, and although i'm still me, i see 'myself' talking? That's confusing to explain..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.