Turn on thread page Beta

How do you 'think' ? watch

• View Poll Results: How do you think/process info in your mind?
    words
    29.63%
    audio
    15.74%
    2D pictures
    4.63%
    3D pictures
    2.78%
    2D + audio
    6.48%
    3D + audio
    11.11%
    moving 3D images (with/without audio)
    29.63%

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what I'm thinking about. I think using all of those. I use words and audio when doing maths or concentrating hard, I use 2D images when trying to think what I need to buy from a shop and I think about how conversations could go using 3d video with audio (i do this A LOT)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    What about children born blind and deaf? Surely they have thoughts before they're taught abstractions ('words') for real-life objects, which happens at a much later age than non-disabled people.
    Maybe but my point is that some thoughts exist only in the abstract. deafblind people may come to organize/experience information/memories in wholly different ways but only in complex language (whatever form that language may take) can some thoughts be had.

ReputationRep:
    Chin resting on my clenched fist, gazing into the distance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Maybe but my point is that some thoughts exist only in the abstract. deafblind people may come to organize/experience information/memories in wholly different ways but only in complex language (whatever form that language may take) can some thoughts be had.
    Here's a somewhat related article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/ma...pagewanted=all

He argues that the language you use may affect the way you think. I'm not entirely sure if I agree, I need to think about it more

ReputationRep:
    I think with words and audio, its very rare for me to get actual pictures, but I do think in colour. For instance 'banana' would be said in audio, and i would most likely think about the colour yellow. Everything in my head gets related to colour somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else slightly aroused by the symmetry of the poll results?

ReputationRep:
    Its really weird but when reading lots of information on a page i think in words. but if i was to randomly think what shall i have for my tea i think in pictures but i always think in black and white?!!? never colour. find this strange?!

ReputationRep:
    this question on how i think is really making me think...but i think i'll need to stop thinking because all this talk of think is inhibiting my thoughts

ReputationRep:
    I... don't..... know.... Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    I am kind of mixture of some ways.

Sometimes I think just audio words, sometimes I see images both 2-D and 3-D, but most of the time moving 3-D or 2-D images with sound.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a skeptic. That's what a Law degree does to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Eeer... just words mostly. Using an example someone else used, if I feel like having a banana I'll think "Hmm, I want a banana". I don't picture a banana in my head or visualise a 3d picture with audio of me going to get a banana... are all you people serious?! :p: I mean it's not like I can't visualise a memory or a picture or a scene if I try to, but I don't generally think that way about generic things- if I know I need to leave at 5 I don't picture a clock in my head and visualise myself leaving, I just say to myself "I need to leave at 5", which seems totally bizarre compared to what everyone else seems to be saying, but surely that way of thinking is like, slower... more distracting.... more confusing/ ambiguous... ? =P I don't know
    Exactly the same. Even though most of the time I don't even think there's words or a voice... its like none of them. Its like feelings and maybe a slight chatter but there doesn't really need to be a voice. I can watch a scene in my head in 3d moving images if I am remembering something or visualising a certain situation, but this is only when I consciously try to.

Finding it weird how people can think in moving 3d and no words... how is that even thinking? that's just seeing things inside your head? Say if you were thinking about someone who annoys you, what do you just see them wandering around doing annoying things inside your head?

This thread has confused but interested me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.