Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'I don't like the taste of alcohol' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomm)
    I'd challenge you to find any teetotaler in this thread who's come across that way.
    errr let me see... oh wait, here's one:

It just sounds to me like you feel threatened by the idea of someone not liking alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    errr let me see... oh wait, here's one:
    1) I'm not a teetotaler.
    2) I'm just letting you know how your posts come across.

i dont like the taste of alcohol

if i got pure alcohol 100% and drank it, i would not enjoy the taste
    if there was something else in it, then i would enjoy the drink as a whole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Yes, because a 90% drink is the best example .
    Well done sir, well done.

What about various mixs and cocktails that essentially taste like orange juice, or pineapple juice?
    If you havent had one of them i advise you do, and then come back and say they taste like alcohol, because they don't.

Try harder next time.
    Well, I would have said 100% but that would probably kill you. So yeah, a 90% drink would be the best example of what alcohol actually tastes like if you were to drink it.

Did you actually read my post? I actually stated that alcoholic drinks are varied and pretty much everyone will find some alcoholic drink that they like, i.e a mixture involving alcohol. What you said was that people say they don't like alcohol not alcoholic drinks. Which is perfectly true, no one likes the taste of alcohol. That's why you mix it with various other things, to mask the taste. Well that and so it doesn't kill you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Thats impossible really. Maybe you don't like the feel of being drunk. But alcohol does not even have a taste. Its the other stuff in the drink that the person does not like.
    Errr, when you said that it is impossible do you mean it is impossible for 'some' people to not like alcohol?

That is very stupid thing to say! :O

Alcohol sometimes can be bitter. That's why when I drink certain alcohol I couldn't help but make weird facial expression... =.=

ReputationRep:
    Umm
    Thats because all those coke varities have the same basic ingredients.

Same basic ingredients = same basic taste
    That's pretty obvious.
    Please come up with a better example, because that was terrible.

Stuff made from apples, will not taste like stuff made from hops.. etc.
    And alcoholic drinks don't? They all contain ethanol. That's their definition.

It would surprise me if any human being actually liked the taste of ethanol.

Although yes, it can be masked by different flavours in different drinks. Some of which some might like whilst disliking others etc.

But seriously, when someone says they don't like the taste of alcohol, how difficult is it to mentally add the note "most"? We do all the time with virtually every other preference people show.
    It's not like you can hurt alcohol's feelings lol, I don't know why anyone would care so much about this.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. This is stupid! Alcoholic drinks have a unique taste, caused by the presence of the ALCOHOL in them. Alcohol is not tasteless. Some people don't like the taste of it - hence they don't drink alcoholic drinks.
    And some people can taste it even in alcopops, particularly if they're not used to drinking them.
    Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be missing the point.

It is not a distinction between those people who "just like" alcoholic drinks and those who "just don't like the taste". Nobody likes the taste at first.

The distinction is between those people who have put in the effort to acquire the taste for alcoholic drinks and those that have not.

ReputationRep:
    i don't like the taste of most alcohol, dont like beer, hate cider, but i love the taste of some alco pops like most flavours of bacardi breezer yummm theyre nicer than most soft drinks i know

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why some people don't like the taste.

I don't really 'like' the taste of alcohol, but I don't drink alcohol because it's tasty.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't like the taste of any alcoholic drinks I have come across.

I don't drink for a variety of reasons though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniec21)
    Ugh. This is stupid! Alcoholic drinks have a unique taste, caused by the presence of the ALCOHOL in them. Alcohol is not tasteless. Some people don't like the taste of it - hence they don't drink alcoholic drinks.
    And some people can taste it even in alcopops, particularly if they're not used to drinking them.
    Simple.
    Actually, yes, ethanol is essentially tasteless.
    Just to ruin your argument

Maybe you should consult google before making yourself look silly (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    Ethanol doesn't have a taste.

Sorry to burst your bubble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniec21)
    You're wrong. Why don't you try google, take your own advice.
    'Pure ethanol is tasteless and odorless.'
    http://www.conestogaenergy.com/what-ethanol

Google, simples.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be missing the point.

It is not a distinction between those people who "just like" alcoholic drinks and those who "just don't like the taste". Nobody likes the taste at first.

The distinction is between those people who have put in the effort to acquire the taste for alcoholic drinks and those that have not.
    Some people might dislike alcohol initially more than others though. I think it's a big claim to say that everyone dislikes the flavour of alcohol exactly equally.

Even if you were right, people would say "why should I put the effort into drinking something I don't like?"

From their perspective, the not liking the taste of alcohol might be a big (the biggest?) positive reason for not drinking it. And could you say they were wrong? If they liked the flavour, they would be drinking it, no? (Unless being genuinely dishonest about their reasons).

Although you could also say (as you are doing) "well other people don't like the taste and they drink it", and thus the reason some don't drink it is because they are less motivated to do so. Ie: negative reasons (that is absence of positive reasons to consume alcohol).

But if I asked you, why don't you eat raw horseradish? (Taking a risk here in case you're some kind of culinary masochist) You wouldn't give a whole load of reasons why other people might want to, and list how those reasons don't apply to you. You would just say "because I find it disgusting" and I don't think that would be an unreasonable answer.

ReputationRep:
    Ethanol doesn't have a taste.

Sorry to burst your bubble
    Yes it does. Try "ethanol" + "taste" in google searchbar and you'll find a fair few pages of studies attempting to describe the taste of ethanol. Apparently its a sweet/bitter combo. It may be that it modulates the flavour of other substances.

How could it not have a flavour? Don't you think its useful for humans to be able to tell if something is fermenting or not? Why would we have a sensory deficit for it?

There's evidence their that different individuals have different levels of preference for it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Some people might dislike alcohol initially more than others though. I think it's a big claim to say that everyone dislikes the flavour of alcohol exactly equally.

Even if you were right, people would say "why should I put the effort into drinking something I don't like?"

From their perspective, the not liking the taste of alcohol might be a big (the biggest?) positive reason for not drinking it. And could you say they were wrong? If they liked the flavour, they would be drinking it, no? (Unless being genuinely dishonest about their reasons).

Although you could also say (as you are doing) "well other people don't like the taste and they drink it", and thus the reason some don't drink it is because they are less motivated to do so. Ie: negative reasons (that is absence of positive reasons to consume alcohol).

But if I asked you, why don't you eat raw horseradish? (Taking a risk here in case you're some kind of culinary masochist) You wouldn't give a whole load of reasons why other people might want to, and list how those reasons don't apply to you. You would just say "because I find it disgusting" and I don't think that would be an unreasonable answer.

I don't think thats a particularly good analogy. I'm not aware of anyone who has acquired a taste for raw horseradish, I'm not aware of many people who eat it on a nightly basis in thousands of different forms.

IF you could present me with evidence that millions of people regularly ate raw horseradish, and to a man now consider one of the many available forms of it to be far and away their favourite food substance, then I think you would probably quite rightly call me foolish if I was unwilling to at least try to acquire the taste.

That's all I'm saying: if you did a survey of every person in the western world what their favourite drink was, the vast majority would say an alcoholic drink. The same people would also reply "not particularly" when asked "did you like alcohol the first few times you tried it". Clearly the only logical conclusion you could come to would be that alcohol is an acquired taste that is almost certainly worth acquiring. I don't know anyone who was either unable to acquire it or who did acquire it and now wishes they had never bothered.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think thats a particularly good analogy. I'm not aware of anyone who has acquired a taste for raw horseradish, I'm not aware of many people who eat it on a nightly basis in thousands of different forms.

IF you could present me with evidence that millions of people regularly ate raw horseradish, and to a man now consider one of the many available forms of it to be far and away their favourite food substance, then I think you would probably quite rightly call me foolish if I was unwilling to at least try to acquire the taste.

That's all I'm saying: if you did a survey of every person in the western world what their favourite drink was, the vast majority would say an alcoholic drink. The same people would also reply "not particularly" when asked "did you like alcohol the first few times you tried it". Clearly the only logical conclusion you could come to would be that alcohol is an acquired taste that is almost certainly worth acquiring. I don't know anyone who was either unable to acquire it or who did acquire it and now wishes they had never bothered.
    Fair enough. My heart's not really into the argument tbh :p:

I still disagree though. Everyone hates vodka initially (and even when you're used to it its still rank). But I mean, my brother genuinely likes liqueurs, he doesn't drink them to get drunk, he actually likes the flavour. He's not the kind to take up something he doesn't like the flavour of (really trust me on that one) so he must have liked them almost straight away. My parents like to have a beer with their meal. Friends I know like to have a wine, because they like how it tastes. They never had to start forcing them down really. I have drunk enough wine/beer/liqueurs/mixers to say, whilst I don't hate hate hate them, and there are even a few rare drinks I do like, I'd rather have a non-alcoholic drink every time (unless intending to inebriate myself).
    And it definitely affects how much I drink (although not to the point of teetotal). I'm not going to be asking for booze for my birthday really, I'm not going to be drinking it with meals. And even on nights out or tipsy social events I'm probably going to drink less, because I'd rather sit and enjoy my drink than force down something really unpleasant just to get drunk, when I don't feel I need to.

That's not to be self-righteous, cause obviously other people enjoy alcohol more than I do.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. My heart's not really into the argument tbh :p:

I still disagree though. Everyone hates vodka initially (and even when you're used to it its still rank). But I mean, my brother genuinely likes liqueurs, he doesn't drink them to get drunk, he actually likes the flavour. He's not the kind to take up something he doesn't like the flavour of (really trust me on that one) so he must have liked them almost straight away. My parents like to have a beer with their meal. Friends I know like to have a wine, because they like how it tastes. They never had to start forcing them down really. I have drunk enough wine/beer/liqueurs/mixers to say, whilst I don't hate hate hate them, and there are even a few rare drinks I do like, I'd rather have a non-alcoholic drink every time (unless intending to inebriate myself).
    And it definitely affects how much I drink (although not to the point of teetotal). I'm not going to be asking for booze for my birthday really, I'm not going to be drinking it with meals. And even on nights out or tipsy social events I'm probably going to drink less, because I'd rather sit and enjoy my drink than force down something really unpleasant just to get drunk, when I don't feel I need to.

That's not to be self-righteous, cause obviously other people enjoy alcohol more than I do.

That's fair enough. I'm not claiming that everyone's the same, I'm just asking that people think about the terms of the debate a little more carefully, rather than couching it in simplistic ideas such as a time independent "like" and "dislike" of the taste of something, whereas the evidence suggests that alcoholic drinks, like all "acquired tastes" are anything but time independent.

I think the majority of those exposed to alcohol find that they initially dislike all forms of it, but given a little perseverence grow to like - or even love - the taste of a certain subset of the available types. I doubt that even your friends who now like wine liked it (as opposed to pretended to like it) when they were 10 years old, because... tastes change. My palate now, both in terms of food and drink, could not be more dissimilar to my palate aged 6. Back then I liked edam cheese and apple juice. Now I like rare steak and whisky.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.