Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What will I need in terms of I.D. in order to go into a bank and withdraw money. Also does anyone know how things like monthly bills(phone contracts etc) work, will they still take money out of my account or will I need to inform them about having a new card number etc?

ReputationRep:
    Direct debits shouldn't be affected by a change in your card.

ReputationRep:
    Cancel it over the phone and they will send you a new one. Nothing gets changed. Also for the bank take your passport and you can withdraw money.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to prove your identity to withdraw money. So any government-issued picture ID should be fine. I generally use a preliminary drivers license when in this situation as I don't particularly like carrying around my passport. To save time you'll also need to know your account number and sort code, but if you don't know them, you can spend some extra time getting the bank to find it for you, with proper identification, of course.

As for your bills, it depends how they're charging you. With regular bills like your phone contract, you've almost certainly set up an agreement between your bank and the phone company to transfer the money each month. This has absolutely nothing to do with your card. If you have something like a World of Warcraft subscription on the other hand, then they charge your card each month, and you'll have to update the details with them.

TL/DR: If you personally signed a contract to set up the payment, you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Direct debits etc will still work cos your account number and sort code do not change. At least when I lost mine my direct debits still continued.
    They will then send you a replacement card which will have a different card number.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.