Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have secured an internship as a technology business analyst at a BB, but what i really want to do is trading. What do u think are my chances of making the move from tech to trading? I have the following options :
    1) Accept the tech grad scheme ( assuming i am offered one ), work for a few years, go to b-school and reapply for trading.
    2) Apply for FT trading next year
    3)Apply for trading internships next year and do a masters (im in 2nd yr now)

What do u think i should aim for? Also, are business analysts (especially front office equity derivatives business analysts ) more likely to be able to make the transition? I chose BA because i thought its closer to FO than app devs but now i've been hearing that's not true
    Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    apply for trading internships and do a masters

1. converting from tech to trading is almost unheard of and is very difficult to do
    2.getting a job in ft trading would require you to probably have some prior experience, internship for example as competition for that is fierce

BA's are all treated the same as app dev's, its all under tech as far as they're concerned

ReputationRep:
    If you're good (Maths/Economics at Oxbridge/LSE) then accept the grad position and try and network across. Everyone says this isn't possible but I know a few people who've gone from Risk positions to FO positions this way but they did tend to have pretty good degree at the start (Tech may be a step too far away though)

If you're not then reapply for trading internships and masters and then pray......

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.