Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    What is the difference between an orthopod and a plumber?

A plumber can name more than two antibiotics.
    What's the difference between an orthopod and a hospital cleaner?
    Hospital cleaner can name more than 2 antibiotics.

How can you hide cash from an orthopod?
    Put it inside any medical textbook

ReputationRep:
    How many surgeons does it take to change a lightbulb?
    One, refer to medics as darkness ?cause

Also, when I was an ortho FY1, we had a patient having a non-STEMI in front of us on the ward round. The consultant wanted me to write a referral to cardiology before I gave aspirin/clopi/GTN etc (bear in mind written referrals often take a few days before the patient gets seen!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    I had an consultant orthapod confuse the living daylights out of me and two other freshers by arguing with us that there were 30 pairs of spinal nerves rather than 31.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't really see the problem even if surgeons are "butchers".

I presume it stems from some physician/surgeon rivalry, but we clearly need surgeons to do what they do regardless of whether they are acting as butchers or not.

ReputationRep:

Couldn't resist posting this given the jokes in here :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)

Couldn't resist posting this given the jokes in here :p:
    Oh man, I laughed so hard when he said the patient was in systole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    You clearly haven't seen enough surgery (especially orthopaedics).

Surgeons are butchers. End of (and I'm happy to say this as an SHO in a surgical specialty). Nothing is a subtle as manipulating physiology with pharmacological agents.
    Well okay, I guess that's true, but surgeons, overall, aren't 'butchers'. There may be some specialties that are less intricate than others, but there's enough fine art to surgery out there for them not to warrant such a title. Perhaps you haven't seen enough opthalmology surgeries? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Although I have enjoyed reading the jokes and watching the video; I ultimately regret reading this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Dragonfly-)
    Well okay, I guess that's true, but surgeons, overall, aren't 'butchers'. There may be some specialties that are less intricate than others, but there's enough fine art to surgery out there for them not to warrant such a title. Perhaps you haven't seen enough opthalmology surgeries? :p:
    Which medical school are you studying at?

ReputationRep:
    Not unless you eat people.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that in the middle ages, barbers were surgeons? Monks (who had the medical knowledge) were not allowed to inflict injury upon anyone (even if it was for their own benefit and as part of a procedure), so they had to give directions to barbers, who actually did the operations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    Did you know that in the middle ages, barbers were surgeons? Monks (who had the medical knowledge) were not allowed to inflict injury upon anyone (even if it was for their own benefit and as part of a procedure), so they had to give directions to barbers, who actually did the operations.
    Yes, yes we did. And anyone who didn't would have learnt it if they read the thead.

ReputationRep:
    What is the definition of shifting dullness?
    An orthopaedic ward round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junior.doctor)
    What is the definition of shifting dullness?
    An orthopaedic ward round
    I thought it was gerries - my experience of ortho ward rounds was that they were over before some staff realised they started.

ReputationRep:
    oh man, this was funny

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of it's just banter between medics; surgeons are butchers, anaesthetists are gas monkeys etc. I've got on with all the surgeons I've met, I think for the most part the stereotypes are just that and there's little in them (apart from orthopods as carpenters ). I am very strongly considering a surgical career, it's discipline of medicine that I absolutely love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Which medical school are you studying at?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3myZowOSY

ReputationRep:
    Or carpenters.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was an experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Or carpenters.
    That's just the orthopods.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.