Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by HarmanFan)
    The Independent one is more reliable, and it isn't in the top 10. Lancaster is 14th. I don't know about the Times.
    Yeah I always use Independent when I look at league table. Althoughm I don't actually believe in any of them. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    Essex to charge £9000 fees alongside Oxford and Imperial
    WRONG.. I've heard this a thousand times and I am getting tired of correcting the ignorant masses. They aren't set to charge it, they want to charge it, there's a difference. The government can simply say "no".

ReputationRep:
    Take the piss out of Essex all you want. I'm sat here with a print out of one of my lectures (Brain and Behaviour module, Barts & The London, Medicine (A100), first year) and a print out of an Essex psychology module and I can say they're pretty much the same. Albeit slightly more social stuff put in from the Essex lecture (It is an hour longer).

So, I suppose you'll be wanting to take the piss of a medical school. Somewhere where the course is regulated by the GMC. You're welcome to. If medics find it though, you'll be in a whole world of pain.

ReputationRep:
    Is that in reference to Essex? Are you serious?
    Yeh! I didn't get an offer but if i did i would have firmed it over york/cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    They really have to charge the top fees for a multitude of reasons, though - to make a profit or even just to break even, to be ranked alongside the top since it looks like only the bad ones are charging less... the government knew perfectly well that most unis would charge 9k.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Take the piss out of Essex all you want. I'm sat here with a print out of one of my lectures (Brain and Behaviour module, Barts & The London, Medicine (A100), first year) and a print out of an Essex psychology module and I can say they're pretty much the same. Albeit slightly more social stuff put in from the Essex lecture (It is an hour longer).

So, I suppose you'll be wanting to take the piss of a medical school. Somewhere where the course is regulated by the GMC. You're welcome to. If medics find it though, you'll be in a whole world of pain.

Sorry, I don't get it. Are you suggesting that Essex is good or bad? I don't get it. I am stupid. =.=

(Original post by Jacke02)
    Yeh! I didn't get an offer but if i did i would have firmed it over york/cambridge.
    Are you serious? ..... Not that it is a bad thing, but I never ever thought anyone would decide to firm at Essex and not Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    WRONG.. I've heard this a thousand times and I am getting tired of correcting the ignorant masses. They aren't set to charge it, they want to charge it, there's a difference. The government can simply say "no".
    WRONG The person put in charge of the whole sorry mess has admitted he is powerless to stop unis charging what they want.
    Ministers will not be able to look to the Office for Fair Access, the admissions watchdog, to bail them out. Sir Martin Harris, its director general, has made it clear that he cannot stop universities charging £9,000 a year if they have come up with an adequate proposal to encourage disadvantaged young people to take up places.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    in my opinion the only unis that should be allowed to charge full prices are the top 5 statistically. everything else should go in bands :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    Sorry, I don't get it. Are you suggesting that Essex is good or bad? I don't get it. I am stupid. =.=

Are you serious? ..... Not that it is a bad thing, but I never ever thought anyone would decide to firm at Essex and not Cambridge.
    Good. At least one of their lectures is nigh on exact as mine. Ergo, if you're taking the piss out of Essex, you're indirectly taking the piss out of where I go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    WRONG The person put in charge of the whole sorry mess has admitted he is powerless to stop unis charging what they want.
    Durham have SET their charges for 2012 at £9000.
    Saw Michael Gove say that the government are still ultimately in control of the fees, I'm going to believe him over some nobody on an internet forum unless you can provide some hard proof.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove has nothing to do with higher education or its funding !!

Go away and do a bit more reading before pontificating on here about something you clearly know very little about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    ****, if I go there this year are they going to charge me the 9k fee's??
    If you're starting in 2011, no. When top up fees were introduced in 2006 (meaning that fees raised from around 1,300 to 3,000) this only applied to people starting in 2006. So those who started their degree earlier were classed under the old system.

So when the increased fees come into place next year they will only apply to those starting in 2012.

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Yes Essex is charging such fees alongside the 'elite' unis, but it is far from the only one to do so. It's more of a question as to whether universities which aren't going to provide the same level of teaching that the elite ones do should be able to charge the same price, don't view Essex in isolation.
    Which universities that have announced 9k fees thus far aren't elite and who is to say the "elite" universities provide better teaching?

ReputationRep:
    Before you know it TVU will be paying the full £9k...

ReputationRep:
    Graduate prospects? As in? And Lancaster's entry standards are relatively high - apart from the odd course (but most universities have those).

You consider those two factors more important than research, teaching, etc?
    Pfffft, no, I'm saying they're also distorted measures. Graduate prospect statistics are easy to manipulate. Research and teaching are two of the main factors worth considering.

The independent league table puts it in the top 15 for mathematics. And again - what are you basing your statement on?
    You mean the complete university guide? That's no better, possibly worse. I have an essay somewhere by a professor at Manchester but can't remember the link.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people actually think Essex is in a similar league to the elite. Unless it's just an elaborate trolling attempt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    Saw Michael Gove say that the government are still ultimately in control of the fees, I'm going to believe him over some nobody on an internet forum unless you can provide some hard proof.
    1 - Michael Gove has nothing to do with it.
    2 - The universities will be able to charge £9k as long as they meet whatever critera the office of fair trading and the government sets down. From what has been said so far, the criteria will not be that difficult and will involve increasing access to poorer students (which is quite vague and doesn't really mean anything).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Pfffft, no, I'm saying they're also distorted measures. Graduate prospect statistics are easy to manipulate. Research and teaching are two of the main factors worth considering.
    Perhaps, but I am still waiting for your evidence as to why you believe Lancaster is not even in the top 20, contrary to the RAE and all major league tables. Are you reluctant to provide this evidence/reasoning because it is essentially subjective conjecture?

ReputationRep:
    That may be so, but I am still waiting for your evidence as to why you believe Lancaster is not even in the top 20, contrary to the RAE and all major league tables. Are you reluctant to provide this evidence/reasoning because it is essentially subjective conjecture?
    This.

Lancaster is in the top 20. In a lot of league tables, it even comes out in the top 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan_Grimmer)
    You moron. If you think chavs have the ability to get into University, I think you need to remodel your view on the world. Just because a few people who attend Essex are from London doesn't mean they're chavs. And yes, I do mean a FEW. There are far more international students at Essex than your so called "chav" label. So if I was you I would shut up slating off a University you've clearly never been too.
    Chavs do get into university, all you need is a few average A-levels. A huge proportion of the domestic students at Essex university are from the East London/Essex border.

And for the record I have been at Essex university since 2007 and I am not slating the university as such as the teaching is rather good, I am just slating the students, many of whom have no business being in higher education.

ReputationRep:
    That may be so, but I am still waiting for your evidence as to why you believe Lancaster is not even in the top 20, contrary to the RAE and all major league tables. Are you reluctant to provide this evidence/reasoning because it is essentially subjective conjecture?
    I think its time to face it on both sides that there's no way of telling due to flawed league table methodology. It's even been said that the teaching assessments used are outdated which means that's also a flawed statistic to rely on.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.