Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rebecca Black donates all money made from 'Friday' to Japan Watch

ReputationRep:
    She was on Jay Leno. Honestly mad respect for her for that, very mature for her age, but I no doubt it is simply a PR move with her already loaded parents pulling the strings behind the scenes.

ReputationRep:
    She actually made money off that terrible song?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    It's not gonna stop people making fun of that crappy song
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Bless her. I think she's a good kid - not a great singer - and people should respect her a bit more. We were all like that at 13, thinking we were the best at whatever...

ReputationRep:
    It's hard not to like her. I still find the song hilarious but I certainly don't hate it or her.

ReputationRep:
    At least something good came out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's if the song actually makes any money.

Good on the girl though, but that song is awful.

ReputationRep:
    The song is hilarious. Did she write it in all seriousness? Cos I think maybe someone else did...

ReputationRep:
    It amazes me that someone got paid to write that song.

But good on her, I wonder how much it made?

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly around a million dollars or more. Check around the internet, that's the reported amount.

ReputationRep:
    This song has been a good laugh for everyone, and it's made money for Japan, what's not to like about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    This song has been a good laugh for everyone, and it's made money for Japan, what's not to like about that?
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Bless her. I think she's a good kid - not a great singer - and people should respect her a bit more. We were all like that at 13, thinking we were the best at whatever...
    lol i was NOT like that at 13!!

ReputationRep:
    Is she out of her mind?!

ReputationRep:
    Damn, she could have gone to college and bought a house of that song i'm sure. I would want a lot of money to reimburse me for the embarassment of the whole world laughing at me.

To be honest with a good team behind her she will probably go far with the amount of exposure she's had. In the manufactured pop world you're only as good as the team behind you. Justin Bieber could have easily have been given rubbish songs.

ReputationRep:
    The song 4 days ago = loved to hate it
    All royalties are now going to Japan = more people are going to buy the song, making her more successful.

Fair play for doing it though.

ReputationRep:
    Well done her

While I'm not a fan of the song/video (except perhaps in a so bad it's entertaining 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' way), but I respect her for managing to make the most of the situation and come off looking better than the (increasingly pathetic looking) internet haters...

ReputationRep:
    It's quite ironic how the earthquake and tsunami actually occured on a Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand why there are so many ********s ripping into her. I mean sure the song is hilarious even though it wasn't intended to be - but at the same time it was probably just an expensive birthday/christmas present to a young girl who loves singing. Even then, at $2000 even I know friends who have been bought gifts costing over £1000 (and despite being on TSR - I am not from a particularly middle-class background). I mean hell, the song IS kinda catchy - you gotta give it that.

Even the OP seems to draw the very worst out of this extremely generous and positive situation "but I no doubt it is simply a PR move with her already loaded parents pulling the strings behind the scenes".

What the hell? A 13-year old girl who has been extremely polite and tolerant through this whole situation of basically being bullied online ALSO donates a crap-load of money to charity and still people think the worst.

Oh society.

ReputationRep:
    At least some good came of that....monstrosity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.