Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    would doing more a levels give you a lower offer though? because my fiend who did maths into a2 with 3 other subjects got an AAB offer

ReputationRep:
    Med schools want 3, 3 they will look at. Take 4 if you want to, however only if you feel you can attain equally good results in 3/4 of those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SylveeDiggs)
    would doing more a levels give you a lower offer though? because my fiend who did maths into a2 with 3 other subjects got an AAB offer
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    They didn't.
    I don't understand why that's so hard to believe ?

They are extra qualifications, so as much as universities say 'we only require three', why would they ignore the 4th or 5th?

Other aspects of the application such as personal statement are extremely important, but for competitive courses these days everyone seems to have the same amazing academics, along with sport, music, etc. So getting that little bit extra could get you that place.

ReputationRep:
    3, you'll regret 4, i did
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rubixer)
    I don't understand why that's so hard to believe ?

They are extra qualifications, so as much as universities say 'we only require three', why would they ignore the 4th or 5th?

Other aspects of the application such as personal statement are extremely important, but for competitive courses these days everyone seems to have the same amazing academics, along with sport, music, etc. So getting that little bit extra could get you that place.
    I'm not going to argue this for the 10th time this month. You're wrong, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Would it look better to go to a fantastic school and get the grades, or a slightly worse school and still get the grades? Same goes for going to a private school as opposed to a grammar school or comp?

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you're applying and if you'd get the same grades doing 4 a-levels. If you think you'll get the same grades then why not? My friend recently got told by Cambridge that they didn't want her to drop economics (she got an offer for medicine), which kind of suggests that they were more impressed by the fact that she was doing 4 a levels and that was one of the reasons they made her an offer. Obviously not the main reason, it's economics, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely defintiely definitely, only do 3!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you only need to do 3, no jokes. 4 may mean you don't get the grades because you are stretching yourself too much. They only want AAA at the end of the day, so why do the extra work if you donm;t have to!!!!! Get a volunteer post or extra work exp. MUCH more important!

And also you don't have to take Maths. I did Bio, Chem, Textiles and Geog at AS and Bio, Chem and Textiles at A level.

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on whether you enjoy all your subjects and if your capable of getting top grades in all of them.
    I'm really glad I did 4 because I currently hold 2 medical school offers- one is AAA with an A in each of chem and biol and then either physics or maths, whereas my other offer is AAAC so I can get a C in anything which has really taken the pressure off because I can slip a grade in anything. If I had done 3 a2s then I would have 2AAA offers.

so in summary - it may not help you get into medical school, but if you do get in it may give you more flexibility.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you do do 4 (n'yeah heh heh "do do" xD) then you might get AAAC, if you do 3, you might get AAC, so if you do a fourth that you might be stronger at in the second year, then you might manage to back yourself up with it?

Just an idea... probably illogical but it makes sense to me xD

ReputationRep:
    Depends... can you handle 4 and definitely get 4 A2s at a minimum of an A? It'd You're adding a decent amount more to your workload if you do an extra A2 level, and that might show across the board.

Better to get AAA than BBBC.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing this thing in school called AQA bac dont really have any clue what it means but I'm doing it :/ I really want to take 4 A2's next year, but this aqa Bac means i have to do Extended Project as well, which means at the end i guess i'll have 5 grades, although EP is not a whole A2 (i've heard) I was just wondering whether having 5 grades would look bad on my application, it may look like i have no social life, which could be deter some unis, should i do 4 A2's( I REALLY want to) but i'd rather drop it, than not get into med school ?!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.