The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
would doing more a levels give you a lower offer though? because my fiend who did maths into a2 with 3 other subjects got an AAB offer
Med schools want 3, 3 they will look at. Take 4 if you want to, however only if you feel you can attain equally good results in 3/4 of those subjects.
Original post by SylveeDiggs
would doing more a levels give you a lower offer though? because my fiend who did maths into a2 with 3 other subjects got an AAB offer

No.
Reply 23
Original post by Beska
They didn't.

I don't understand why that's so hard to believe ?

They are extra qualifications, so as much as universities say 'we only require three', why would they ignore the 4th or 5th?

Other aspects of the application such as personal statement are extremely important, but for competitive courses these days everyone seems to have the same amazing academics, along with sport, music, etc. So getting that little bit extra could get you that place.
Reply 24
3, you'll regret 4, i did
Reply 25
Original post by rubixer
I don't understand why that's so hard to believe ?

They are extra qualifications, so as much as universities say 'we only require three', why would they ignore the 4th or 5th?

Other aspects of the application such as personal statement are extremely important, but for competitive courses these days everyone seems to have the same amazing academics, along with sport, music, etc. So getting that little bit extra could get you that place.

I'm not going to argue this for the 10th time this month. You're wrong, full stop.
Reply 26
Would it look better to go to a fantastic school and get the grades, or a slightly worse school and still get the grades? Same goes for going to a private school as opposed to a grammar school or comp?
Reply 27
Depends where you're applying and if you'd get the same grades doing 4 a-levels. If you think you'll get the same grades then why not? My friend recently got told by Cambridge that they didn't want her to drop economics (she got an offer for medicine), which kind of suggests that they were more impressed by the fact that she was doing 4 a levels and that was one of the reasons they made her an offer. Obviously not the main reason, it's economics, but still.
Definitely defintiely definitely, only do 3!
Reply 29
Honestly you only need to do 3, no jokes. 4 may mean you don't get the grades because you are stretching yourself too much. They only want AAA at the end of the day, so why do the extra work if you donm;t have to!!!!! Get a volunteer post or extra work exp. MUCH more important!

And also you don't have to take Maths. I did Bio, Chem, Textiles and Geog at AS and Bio, Chem and Textiles at A level.
Reply 30
I think it really depends on whether you enjoy all your subjects and if your capable of getting top grades in all of them.
I'm really glad I did 4 because I currently hold 2 medical school offers- one is AAA with an A in each of chem and biol and then either physics or maths, whereas my other offer is AAAC so I can get a C in anything which has really taken the pressure off because I can slip a grade in anything. If I had done 3 a2s then I would have 2AAA offers.

so in summary - it may not help you get into medical school, but if you do get in it may give you more flexibility.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 31
Also, if you do do 4 (n'yeah heh heh "do do" xD) then you might get AAAC, if you do 3, you might get AAC, so if you do a fourth that you might be stronger at in the second year, then you might manage to back yourself up with it? :smile:

Just an idea... probably illogical but it makes sense to me xD
Reply 32
Depends... can you handle 4 and definitely get 4 A2s at a minimum of an A? It'd You're adding a decent amount more to your workload if you do an extra A2 level, and that might show across the board.

Better to get AAA than BBBC.
Reply 33
Hey, I'm doing this thing in school called AQA bac dont really have any clue what it means but I'm doing it :/ I really want to take 4 A2's next year, but this aqa Bac means i have to do Extended Project as well, which means at the end i guess i'll have 5 grades, although EP is not a whole A2 (i've heard) I was just wondering whether having 5 grades would look bad on my application, it may look like i have no social life, which could be deter some unis, should i do 4 A2's( I REALLY want to) but i'd rather drop it, than not get into med school ?!

Latest

Trending

Trending