Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I have heard that Advance software engineering (M Eng.) is a really reputed program in the university of sheffield. Is it really so good? I have even heard its the best in UK , because one of my friend , left Georgia Tech. to pursue Masters in Adv. Software engg. in uni. of sheffield.
    Do share your views...

ReputationRep:
    It's not the best in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh might nt b the best in UK ....

but in the whole of UK ..is the program reputed ? in univ. of sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    Sure, Sheffield has a strong department. Not as good as the other Unis (e.g., Imperial, UCL, Southampton, etc), but it's not a bad department.

ReputationRep:
    it is not the best in UK..???.....

and it doesnt have a strong department in the sense..the work placements in that department are less...or the course content is not up to the mark...???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayeem_3)
    it is not the best in UK..???.....

and it doesnt have a strong department in the sense..the work placements in that department are less...or the course content is not up to the mark...???
    I'm not sure what you're asking - but I doubt you'll find anyone who says that Sheffield has the best CS department in the UK.

I said it is a strong department, but perhaps not as strong in terms of reputation as other Unis. I also found some of the course content a bit dry (just lecturers in front of PowerPoints) and I'm not convinced Genesys (the work experience module) is a good simulation of real-world SWEng practices

ReputationRep:
    so comparing sheffield , southampton , edinburgh and lancester ,(got offers from all these) which do u think has the strongest one ? which one will benefit me the most in terms of getting a job eventually????

ReputationRep:
    Southampton I think edges it over Edinburgh for SWEng, but Edinburgh has a very strong theoretical reputation. But there's not much in it.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield has a VERY good reputation for Software Engineering it's the only University in the UK where you work for a Real Software Company as part of your course. If you are looking for a job in Software Engineering then Sheffield wouldn't be a bad choice. Don't just look at league tables the subjects they cover are usually to wide and the methodologies are usually pretty rubbish.

You are better to focus on what each department can offer you in terms of your masters degree and what it is you are wanting to do after your degree.

ReputationRep:
    @conorrr

yes totally agree with u in terms of league tables

im luking forward to do a course in software engineering because i want to do a job in software engineering... i already have an offer from univ. of sheffield for software engineering, but i am finding out the best university for software engineering

any other universities which are better than sheffield for software engineering?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.