Turn on thread page Beta

"Love through the Ages" AQA A2 English Literature watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booksnob)
    Hi I started a thread on Love Through the Ages last year if you want to take a look, because there are some wider reading ideas on there
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1408386
    Thanks for the thread link and lists of texts. That's really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBK28)
    Hi, I sat the exam in January and came out with a good result so I hope I can help here. I think that looking at different types of love is certainly more valuable that trying to revise in a chronological way. The advice that we got is that, as long as we had one text from each genre to talk about, that would be enough wider reading. I basically went over the texts that I studied last year for Victorian Literature and also revised the texts that I'm using for coursework. I also put a small collection of poetry from different poets and time periods together.

Honestly, though, I think the most valuable thing that I did in terms of revision was just practice. I got hold of lots of different extracts and poems to do with love and worked out where I could make links etc. Remember, the main bulk of the marks in the A2 exam come from analysing the unseen texts rather than wider reading references so practice is the best thing you can do!

Hope this has helped!

where did you find your past papers?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighwhitehouse)
    I got most of them from my school but they're also on the exam board's website and there's one in the back of the Nelson Thorne textbook (endorsed by AQA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighwhitehouse)
    There's loads of resources, including past papers, on AQA's website.

ReputationRep:
    From the examiners' report on last summer's exam:

"Candidates should be cautious of preparation that is weighted too heavily towards the study of topics. Some examiners noted that a willingness to label items as presenting forbidden love, destructive love or unrequited love for example, often hampered individual responses."

I think the person who pointed out that responding to the texts thoughtfully and ensuring that you compare the ways the writers write was spot on.

Sadly, there aren't any short cuts.

ReputationRep:
    when you're writing about wider reading, can you just compare the themes? (as opposed to comparing language, form and structure etc, even though they'll over lap haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roman's_revenge)
    when you're writing about wider reading, can you just compare the themes? (as opposed to comparing language, form and structure etc, even though they'll over lap haha)
    Do you mean unsuccessful love vs successful? That kind of thing? If so, you can do so unsuccessful love - Neutral Tones by Thomas Hardy, the nature/pastoral aspect in the poem reflects the relationship, in comparison to maybe Bright Star - John Keats, even though he dies, the love is successful? If that makes sense! but definitely need to include AO2 and context.

ReputationRep:
    I'm revising in a way that's more focussed on my wider reading, rather than on chronology or 'types' of love. I.e. I've written my wider reading on 3 separate A4 sheets (prose, poetry + drama) with memorable quotes, key themes and the techniques through which they are expressed.

My thinking behind it is that the main focus of the exam is the comparison of how the writers present their opinions/views on love, and if I've focussed my revision on understanding how other writers do that, it'll be easier to attach those links to my comparisons in the essay.

So that could be a potential means for revising, whether it works for you or not, I just felt that I should share!

Good luck to all.

ReputationRep:
    im frantically trying to revise for this exam - i think im okay with wider reading but my problem is analysis. I always get confused and what to pick out and then have trouble basing an essay around them! Anyone got any ideas or help? thanks in advance, seriously fretting!

ReputationRep:
    I've been taught a fairly ordered way of structuring it - Essentially, you go through the texts and pick out one point from each for Form, Structure and Language (as these are the 3 highlighted techniques the exam asks you to analyse). From there, you can plan your answer easily:

First paragraph - Comparison of form between the two texts, including wider reading.

Second paragraph - " " structure " " " " " " "

Third paragraph
    - " " language " " " " " " "

It's simple but effective, as you target the areas they want in a very structured manner. It also means that your analysis of the texts is more focussed, as you aren't just going through them writing "repetition, emotive language, extended metaphor" on everything you see and, when looking back, not having a clue about what to write about.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.