Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me on my confusion regarding undertaking an ICAEW conversion course while pursuing my LLB.

I am a CA back here in India and coming to King's to undertake my LLB in september. I would wanna apply for ICAEW membership during the time i am in london for which i have to just give 3 exams and undertake professional ethics training. So is it allowed during my college time or the college would have no objections.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to ICAEW....

But the problem you will have is getting the practical experience. The reason being only 4000 ACA training contracts are given each year - they do not go to foreigners - they want UK candidates.

You have also qualified - they want unqualifieds they can tie-in to a 3 year training contract to do the leg-work.

I think you'll struggle to get the training done at all to be honest as no trainer will want you.

In fact I'd say to be honest - it won't happen

-

I don't understand why you'd want to do LLB and ICAEW anyway - what are you tryin gto get into?

A better bet for you if you want a UK CCAB qual is to get a job in a small accounts department while doing the LLB and use the experience to get the ACCA.

In fact it is highly likely your Indian experience will count for the 3 years for ACCA experience and you'll not have to bother - and just have to sit 4 ACCA exams.

I could be wrong of course - CA India may have special arrangements with ICAEW or ICAEW may recognsie your experience in India if teh firm you worked for qualifies - so be sure to check - but if you have to get 3 years experience in a ACA trainee role - either try every small ACA firm going (I still think it won't happen) or forget it and do ACCA.

Lastly the last 3 ACA exams are hard, very very hard - because they fail the bottom 25% of students - you will be up against all the other students who will be getting intense structured training and revision for the exam and are native English speakers - you may simply fail by producing a script that is not as well worded and written as the English natives rather than not being good enough to "pass" it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidr123)
    Speak to ICAEW....

But the problem you will have is getting the practical experience. The reason being only 4000 ACA training contracts are given each year - they do not go to foreigners - they want UK candidates.

You have also qualified - they want unqualifieds they can tie-in to a 3 year training contract to do the leg-work.

I think you'll struggle to get the training done at all to be honest as no trainer will want you.

In fact I'd say to be honest - it won't happen

-

I don't understand why you'd want to do LLB and ICAEW anyway - what are you tryin gto get into?

A better bet for you if you want a UK CCAB qual is to get a job in a small accounts department while doing the LLB and use the experience to get the ACCA.

In fact it is highly likely your Indian experience will count for the 3 years for ACCA experience and you'll not have to bother - and just have to sit 4 ACCA exams.

I could be wrong of course - CA India may have special arrangements with ICAEW or ICAEW may recognsie your experience in India if teh firm you worked for qualifies - so be sure to check - but if you have to get 3 years experience in a ACA trainee role - either try every small ACA firm going (I still think it won't happen) or forget it and do ACCA.

Lastly the last 3 ACA exams are hard, very very hard - because they fail the bottom 25% of students - you will be up against all the other students who will be getting intense structured training and revision for the exam and are native English speakers - you may simply fail by producing a script that is not as well worded and written as the English natives rather than not being good enough to "pass" it.
    Thanks for your inputs.
    But yeah CA India have an MOU signed with ICAEW..so i wouldn't have to do the 3 year training. My basic query is whether i would be allowed to give the 3 exams to undergo the conversion to ACA while pursuing my LLB.

Btw i am planning to enter into Taxation and corporate law with my background in finance coupled with a legal degree.

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thats good to hear regards MOU.

Of course you can sit final ACA exams or do anything else you like whilst doing the LLB - they can't stop you from doing anything else.

Check out Kaplan financial for tutoring - I'd not recommend self study - I'm sure you'll ace it, you can sit the final 3 in July or November - check on the Kaplan website, you'll be able to fit it around your course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.