Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mine is in a month. Ugh I'm scared..
    Although, last year, I thought i really would have trouble, and wouldn't be able to talk about relevant topics etc. but somehow managed an A in it...
    I'm hoping that I'm just overreacting, and that I'll be fine on the day...
    I'm talking about Hitler's rise to power (Finding it really hard as history isn't my strongest point :/)
    And the play we read was Brecht's "Mutter Courage" , The more I go over notes/find articles online about it etc. the more confident I'm feeling about this topic. But IMO it is the dullest play ever, and it's really hard to be able to talk about which characters you can relate to, and how we can relate this play to nowadays, when you really don't enjoy it..

On another note, will people be joining german societies etc at uni, even though they're not actually going to be studying the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    E-hug much appreciated!

Ooh 'tis lucky indeed! Where abouts are you going?

I've got it first thing on thursday...eep.
    Heck! Good luck. Make sure you tell me how it goes. During my AS speaking exam i completely forgot my presentation, but managed to blag it and got a B in the end!

We are going to Bavaria, Munich and then to Salzburg in Austria

ReputationRep:
    My penis says its too early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    Mine is in a month. Ugh I'm scared..

On another note, will people be joining german societies etc at uni, even though they're not actually going to be studying the subject?
    Same. But mine's AS, so its not quite as bad in the sense that I'm not having to talk about a play that I can't stand, but I've not yet had a mock speaking exam. :/ Good Luck!! Its a bit far off for me, but I will, and, if I don't completely make a mess of my AS levels, hopefully do it at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Same. But mine's AS, so its not quite as bad in the sense that I'm not having to talk about a play that I can't stand, but I've not yet had a mock speaking exam. :/ Good Luck!! Its a bit far off for me, but I will, and, if I don't completely make a mess of my AS levels, hopefully do it at uni...
    Good luck to you too!! I never really had a proper mock exam either, but we did have the odd relevant chat on different topics with the teacher
    This play, really is the bane of my a levels haha.
    Oh if you really enjoy it, then go for it! This time last year I was considering doing a joint degree with german, but in the end decided against it but I do still want to keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    Good luck to you too!! I never really had a proper mock exam either, but we did have the odd relevant chat on different topics with the teacher
    This play, really is the bane of my a levels haha.
    Oh if you really enjoy it, then go for it! This time last year I was considering doing a joint degree with german, but in the end decided against it but I do still want to keep it up!
    Grammar lesson on friday xD. Hate the future passive, if 'feels' clumsy. I've definately started to like German more since Feb. half term, at xmas we got a new teacher, he's lovely, but we felt he was giving us too much work, i.e. 250 words to learn, eng-german and german-eng. 4 days in which to do it. We'dve said something earlier, if we didn't think he was going to think of us as being lazy as well stupid. This finally got sorted in the final lesson before half term, unfortunately one of us had to have a panic attack before our other teacher realised something was seriously wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Edexcel and we have to choose a topic (mine is animal testing) and debate it for 5 mins then go on to discuss other issues (teenager health, media, global warming, technology, traditional families)

I am doing "Das Leben der Anderen" for my written research based essay in June! Such a good film.

Oral is in less than a month and i feel ridiculous trying to revise at home alone for it!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA and mine is on THURSDAY. So nervous!
    What kind of opinion/filler phrases do you use? I always end up saying "ich vermute dass" or "Meiner Meinung nach", I need some more interesting ones. And longer ones to give me time to think aha :'D
    EDIT: Oh yeah and I'm doing "Die Physiker" (a play by Dürrenmatt) and "Sophie Scholl" for the film. I don't think anyone's doing Die Physiker, which my teacher says is a good thing since there's more of a chance the examiner won't know it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IllnessIllusion)
    I'm doing AQA and mine is on THURSDAY. So nervous!
    What kind of opinion/filler phrases do you use? I always end up saying "ich vermute dass" or "Meiner Meinung nach", I need some more interesting ones. And longer ones to give me time to think aha :'D
    EDIT: Oh yeah and I'm doing "Die Physiker" (a play by Dürrenmatt) and "Sophie Scholl" for the film. I don't think anyone's doing Die Physiker, which my teacher says is a good thing since there's more of a chance the examiner won't know it lol.
    I've got these little cards my german teacher made for us, I'll go dig them out of my pencil case and type the phrases up and see if any of them are any good?

Ich bin der Meinung, dass - I'm of the opinion that...
    Ich bin davon ueberzeugt,dass - I am convinced that
    Ich wuerde behaupten,dass - I would say/ affirm that ...
    Ich habe den Eindruck, dass - I have the impression that
    Ich gehe davon aus, dass - I assume that
    Soweit ich weiss (verb next) - As far as I know
    Jedoch kann man auch behaupten - one can also state, however
    In mancherlei Hinsicht ist das - in some respects it is...
    Es kommt darauf an, ob - It depends on whether...
    Alles in allem - All things considered
    Eigentlich - Actually/Really
    Schliesslich (verb next) - Finally
    Andererseits - On the other hand

ReputationRep:
    I've got these little cards my german teacher made for us, I'll go dig them out of my pencil case and type the phrases up and see if any of them are any good?

Ich bin der Meinung, dass - I'm of the opinion that...
    Ich bin davon ueberzeugt,dass - I am convinced that
    Ich wuerde behaupten,dass - I would say/ affirm that ...
    Ich habe den Eindruck, dass - I have the impression that
    Ich gehe davon aus, dass - I assume that
    Soweit ich weiss (verb next) - As far as I know
    Jedoch kann man auch behaupten - one can also state, however
    In mancherlei Hinsicht ist das - in some respects it is...
    Es kommt darauf an, ob - It depends on whether...
    Alles in allem - All things considered
    Eigentlich - Actually/Really
    Schliesslich (verb next) - Finally
    Andererseits - On the other hand
    Thank you sooooo much! This is exactly what I needed

ReputationRep:
    I've spent the last two days in school doing stimulus cards and the like, I never want to see another one again.
    We've been listening to some of the people who did their speaking test last year. It's surprising than none of them used anything more than 'Ich denke, dass or Meine Meinung nach.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I have my AQA oral after Easter and am so scared. I think I'm ok with my cultural topics because ive done so much work on them but i'm worried about the argument cards at the beginning. I can never think of many arguments and end up repeating myself. I'm trying to think of possible cards they might do so i can revise by writing out the for/against arguments but can't think of many. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah721)
    Ahhh I have my AQA oral after Easter and am so scared. I think I'm ok with my cultural topics because ive done so much work on them but i'm worried about the argument cards at the beginning. I can never think of many arguments and end up repeating myself. I'm trying to think of possible cards they might do so i can revise by writing out the for/against arguments but can't think of many. Any help?
    here are the stimulus card that were given June 2009, if they'll be any help?

ReputationRep:
    here are the stimulus card that were given June 2009, if they'll be any help?
    Thanks but I've already looked at most of them. I'm trying to second guess the stimulus cards for this year but can't think of many topics other than fors/against of nuclear power or fors/against of prisons/alternative punishments.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you have before your speaking exam after you get back? Could you not email/ ask your teacher when you get back whether they'll help you 'second guess the examiner'?

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh oral exam tomorrow!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.