Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Horsedobbin what's wrong with you?! Why are you coming into this thread to be negative and spiteful to the threadstarter when he just wants advice about a career change? Go away.
    I'm not being "negative and spiteful". I am just pionting out that there are a lot of teachers being made redundant and that jobs are very hard to find. There aren't many primary jobs a bout and in my humbly opinon, the op would be taking a big risk if he leaves his job during this recesssion to try to get a teacxhing job.Yes, if he is determined he should follow his dream, as I said, but he should know all the facts before taking an impoteant financial decioin in a bad recession.Yes, the govt is still advertising for teachers but many people think they should not be because of the small numbers of jobs about.
    Supply teaching? If you read teacher forums you will realise that there isn't much of that anymore and that low paid classroom assistants or cover supervisors are doing it. now.Don't blame me for being helpful and telling the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsedobbin)
    I'm not being "negative and spiteful". I am just pionting out that there are a lot of teachers being made redundant and that jobs are very hard to find. There aren't many primary jobs a bout and in my humbly opinon, the op would be taking a big risk if he leaves his job during this recesssion to try to get a teacxhing job.Yes, if he is determined he should follow his dream, as I said, but he should know all the facts before taking an impoteant financial decioin in a bad recession.Yes, the govt is still advertising for teachers but many people think they should not be because of the small numbers of jobs about.
    Supply teaching? If you read teacher forums you will realise that there isn't much of that anymore and that low paid classroom assistants or cover supervisors are doing it. now.Don't blame me for being helpful and telling the truth.
    Perhaps you could employ an out of work teacher as your personal English tutor? Every little helps...

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you will find the right article to back your opinion whatever side you take on the argument above!

This year Micheal Gove increased the number of places on Primary PGCE's as they predict that there will be an increased need for primary teachers in 4 years time, so depending on when you do your training Dessie, there may be good job prospects at the end. It also varies on where you live, as there are more jobs in certain areas compared to others (London has the most jobs at the moment).

I would definitely get some experience in a school to see if you like it before making your mind up. My partner has just decided to train as a D&T teacher (I am about to do a primary PGCE) as we want to work abroad, and this will make it easier for us to do if we are both teaching, and we will get the summer holidays off together! its a good choice for him as he has been working in a similar field already, but I know where you are coming from, as I have a business degree and decided to change career for the same reasons.

It is a tough job, more than people generaly think, but the rewards are so very worth it. The hours are long at first, but once you have a good arsenal of lesson plans it gets easier (these are the words of other primary teachers I know).

I say go for it

Horsedobbin, what did teaching do to you that made you so angry?! Do you work in teaching, therefore having hands on experience about the career options, or are you just having a rant after reading a few newspaper articles??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.