A1)  a+b  \epsilon  R,  \forall a,b  \epsilon  R

A2)  a+b = b+a, \forall a,b \epsilon R

A3)  (a+b)+c = a+(b+c), \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

A4)  \exists 0 \epsilon R s.t, a+0 = a = 0+a, \forall a \epsilon R

A5)  \exists b \epsilon R s.t, a+b = 0 = b+a, \forall a \epsilon R

M1)  a \cdot b \epsilon R, \forall a,b \epsilon R

M2)  a \cdot b = b \cdot a, \forall a,b \epsilon R

M3)  (a \cdot b) \cdot c = a \cdot (b \cdot c), \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

M4)  \exists 1_{R} \epsilon R s.t, a \cdot 1_{R} = a = 1_{R} \cdot a, \forall a \epsilon R

M5)  \exists b \epsilon R s.t, a \cdot b = 1_{R} = b \cdot a, \forall a \epsilon R

D1)  a \cdot (b+c) = a \cdot b + a \cdot c, \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

D2)  (a+b) \cdot c = a \cdot c + b \cdot c, \forall a,b,c \epsilon R

Z)  If, a \cdot b = 0, then, a = 0, b = 0, or, a = b = 0, \forall a,b \epsilon R

I want to know which ones you need to CHECK to make sure something is a field of ring.

Wiki says you need A1) - A5), M1), M3), M4), D1) and D2) for a ring and for a field you need the previous axioms along with M2) and M5).

My problem is my lecture notes do not mention closure (which I think is incorrect) also neither does my textbook (Rings, Fields and Groups: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra - I think this again is wrong, but makes me doubt myself more) also in the textbook, it says that you need Z for a field. Is this true or does this just become true due to the presence of the other axioms??

Please remember I want the axioms, and therefore the things you must check to see if a set is a Ring/Field. If for example Z is true, but is just induced due to the presence of the other axioms, please state that.

Thanks for any help, rep will be given!

(P.S. Please excuse my LaTeX, I didn't put any spaces in!)

ReputationRep:
    Z is the condition for a ring to be an integral domain. It can be deduced from the existence of a multiplicative inverse in fields (M5) - if ab=0 and a \not= 0, what is a^{-1}ab?

Obviously you do need closure for a ring, but I think having well-defined operations implies closure, so you don't always need to write it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    Z is the condition for a ring to be an integral domain. It can be deduced from the existence of a multiplicative inverse in fields (M5) - if ab=0 and a \not= 0, what is a^{-1}ab?

Obviously you do need closure for a ring, but I think having well-defined operations implies closure, so you don't always need to write it down.
    if ab=0 and a \not= 0, what is a^{-1}ab? 0

Thank you for your answer, but just to be clear are you saying that wiki is correct??

The link for a ring is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(mathematics)

and for a field is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adie_raz)
    if ab=0 and a \not= 0, what is a^{-1}ab? 0

Thank you for your answer, but just to be clear are you saying that wiki is correct??

The link for a ring is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(mathematics)

and for a field is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_(mathematics)

Thanks
    :yep: I think the article is right. a^{-1} a b = b so b=0 and Z can be deduced to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    :yep: I think the article is right. a^{-1} a b = b so b=0 and Z can be deduced to be true.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My problem is my lecture notes do not mention closure (which I think is incorrect) also neither does my textbook (Rings, Fields and Groups: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra - I think this again is wrong, but makes me doubt myself more) also in the textbook, it says that you need Z for a field. Is this true or does this just become true due to the presence of the other axioms?
    For closure, you probably have the operations defined as functions RxR -> R. That ensures closure so it's not given as a numbered axiom. But you still need to check it. Eg, if you're showing that some set of matrices is a ring, you need to multiply two of them together to check the result still has the same form and hence show that multiplication really is a function RxR -> R.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    For closure, you probably have the operations defined as functions RxR -> R. That ensures closure so it's not given as a numbered axiom. But you still need to check it. Eg, if you're showing that some set of matrices is a ring, you need to multiply two of them together to check the result still has the same form and hence show that multiplication really is a function RxR -> R.
    Thanks very much, indeed the operations are defined as RxR -> R

ReputationRep:
    Another question on the same lines:

F* = F \ {0} correct??

This is supposed to be true, but due to axiom M5), surely this F* = F as all elements of F are already invertible...

ReputationRep:
    Another question on the same lines:

F* = F \ {0} correct??

This is supposed to be true, but due to axiom M5), surely this F* = F as all elements of F are already invertible...
    For a ring, R* is often used to denote the set of invertible elements of R; for a field F = R, since every non-zero element is invertible, we have that F* = F\{0}

ReputationRep:
    So for a field we have every NON-ZERO element is invertible, not every element is invertible, therefore fields contain zero as an element??

ReputationRep:
    So for a field we have every NON-ZERO element is invertible, not every element is invertible, therefore fields contain zero as an element??
    Your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is ... roundabout. Fields have a zero element simply because fields are a special kind of ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    Your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is ... roundabout. Fields have a zero element simply because fields are a special kind of ring.
    Thank you for confirming

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.