Turn on thread page Beta

would you/ would you accept hitting a girl in this situation watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    say an arguement has broke out and theres alot of shouting but it shows no signs of hitting. The girl after 10 mins then hits the boy in the face. She then runs due to fear of the boy hitting her back.

Why he should:
    - she brought the physical violence into the fight
    - she shouldnt be hitting people if shes not ready to be hit
    - it would make her think twice before attempting that again

Why he shouldnt:
    - the running away shows she may be learnt her lesson because of the fear of being hit
    - she might be weaker than him (no evidence showing either is stronger/weaker)
    - an eye for a eye solves nothing
    Honestly, if I seriously hit my man, I expect a slap back. Never been in that situation before, but I don't see why she can hit him just because she might be weaker, and not expect anything back. It does depend partly on what the argument was about and who's in the wrong.

That's just my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. k what? It still is legally and morally self-defence. Why is everybody in this thread trying to prescribe what should be? Healthy people don't do that, and people will act as they choose.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about sex. It's about relative size and strength.

If a weedy little guy or girl hit me and it barely tickled, and I knew that a punch would probably knock them clean out, then I wouldn't hit them, that would be completely unnecessary. Conversely, if a huge girl smacked me and it hurt, then yeah I would hit her back. I don't know of any girls that would fit that description though, so for all intents and purposes, no I wouldn't hit a girl back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I wouldn't accept being hit in that situation. You're 'why he shouldn't' reasons are valid, you're 'why he should'-not so much. Do you realize how awful the one in bold sounds?
    I only was saying with 3 that it would teach her that its absolutly not ok to do that because if you let her get away with it then she might try it again and it might end badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    If I grow a penis one day, I'm totally trying this.
    You can do it now.... Sometimes women do it better than men!

ReputationRep:
    This is what I don't get:
    If a girl hits a guy, and then he hits her back, he's the one in the wrong.

And women say men are sexist.

ReputationRep:
    If a girl hits a guy, then she should expect to be it back.
    In the same was as she would expect to be hit back if she hit a girl, or the same way a guy would expect to be hit back if he hit another guy.

To those saying you should just restrain her - what if she is bigger / physically stronger than you? Being a girl does not mean she is weak.

(Original post by favouriteworstnightmare)
    This is what I don't get:
    If a girl hits a guy, and then he hits her back, he's the one in the wrong.

And women say men are sexist.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Its always a bad idea to hit a girl.

When she goes telling her brother/Dad/male friends, that you have hit her, they won't care if "she hit you first". Guys will love the opportunity for a lynch mob and you will get kneecapped.

In any case its not like a girl can do you much damage, with a slap. Just take it. If a girl started hitting me I wouldn't assault her back, Id just pin her wrists.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hit her by proxy whether I intended it or not. Several of my female friends are notorious for their lack of self-restraint. All of the retaliation, none of the stigma. I win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I only was saying with 3 that it would teach her that its absolutly not ok to do that because if you let her get away with it then she might try it again and it might end badly
    Well you can't punch someone back and then say 'punching is wrong!', can you? It would only make the situation a million times worse. Don't punch her back and she'll fell guilty, she'd be embarrassed about loosing control and he can remain dignified, they can talk and sort it out. If he punched back, it would become a fight rather than one fit of a loss of temper, what do you expect her to do then? She might fight back or if she's badly hurt she is going to feel so sad that despite running away he still grabbed her and hit her to 'teach her a lesson', which in my eyes is far darker than one punch of anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Its always a bad idea to hit a girl.

When she goes telling her brother/Dad/male friends, that you have hit her, they won't care if "she hit you first". Guys will love the opportunity for a lynch mob and you will get kneecapped.

In any case its not like a girl can do you much damage, with a slap. Just take it. If a girl started hitting me I wouldn't assault her back, Id just pin her wrists.
    Damage is subjective. I think you all are just making allowances for people. Inferiority complex of being weaker? Who cares, not everything in life is equal.

ReputationRep:
    I think if she's cowering back in genuine fear and regret then it doesn't warrant hitting her, however angry you are, though you can't really blame a guy for reacting in the moment.
    Though if a girl is laying into a guy then both by law and common sense he can defend himself from futher injury. Theres this image that girls are harmless and you can't defend yourself because theres nothing to defend yourself from...but some girls will give you a harder going over than most guys..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Those who are saying it's wrong in EVERY circumstance, we've brought up self-defence, but what if the woman was hitting your girlfriend/your sister/mother/a friend or something? Wouldn't you try and overpower her? What if overpowering didn't work and she still continued beating up the girl. Would you use violence?

I'd certainly expect to be hit by a man if I ever crossed him in one of the ways I've brought up.
    Yes but if that was happening I wouldn't hit her or something that would do damage leave bad bruising or break a bone.

The last resort option to restrain a girl who's going totally psycho and causing damage would be to put her in a headlock and put pressure on the side of her neck. If you put pressure on the side it wouldn't damage her airway but it would constrict the arteries taking blood to her brain so if she didn't calm down quickly she'd faint after about 5-8 seconds. You could let her go straight away and she'd come round quickly but I bet she would stop being psycho after the reset switch has been pressed.

ReputationRep:
    If your gonna step to a man, like a man, get prepared to get beat down like a man :awesome:

That being said i don't condone hitting females in any way shape or form, contradicting? jus' a lil :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Why one might*:
    • Impulse reaction

Why one wouldn't/shouldn't:
    • Violence rarely solves anything
    • If it takes violence to resolve a situation with, or 'educate', a partner for example, that partner is essentially unworthy anyway
    • No-one should be subject to fear or lasting psychological damage associated with being struck by someone else *
    • You should never lash out if you are unprepared to take the consequences - this could mean permanent injury, impairment or even death *
    • The feds take a very dim view of any guy visiting (lasting/evidencable) injuries on a lass, even if provoked/in self defence

* the chances of these things increase with relative stature, so men have a particular responsibility to think carefully here

I've never been hit in the face by a partner so I can't guarantee how I'd react in that instant. I've been smacked in the jaw by a younger/smaller lad tho and just took a deep breath and walked away. I had some fairly violent school-age experiences and learned to deal with certain people by 'asking questions later' shall we say - a latent capacity which did concern me for a while as a young adult but has, fortunately, proved unproblematic

Apparently I tend to put the fear into people by my very nature, especially partners, so I guess people just know not to go there in the first place - I'm very physical with partners and will grab/smack them if necessary but always in a playful, if firm, way and never anywhere too painful or owt :devil:

ReputationRep:
    OK, so because some police are corrupt, this legitimises such actions? I guess somebody would question (nobody ever questions anything) my belief now lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I wouldn't accept being hit in that situation. You're 'why he shouldn't' reasons are valid, you're 'why he should'-not so much. Do you realize how awful the one in bold sounds?
    There are guys who would beat a woman within an inch of her life for slapping them. I think women need to realize that it's not okay to hit someone just because he's a guy, and that there can be serious consequences. If she learns that before meeting one of the aforementioned guys then that can only be a good thing. Some people just need some sense knocking into them, a woman who'd initiate violence with a man is one of those people - a punch is getting off pretty lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Yes but if that was happening I wouldn't hit her or something that would do damage leave bad bruising or break a bone.

The last resort option to restrain a girl who's going totally psycho and causing damage would be to put her in a headlock and put pressure on the side of her neck. If you put pressure on the side it wouldn't damage her airway but it would constrict the arteries taking blood to her brain so if she didn't calm down quickly she'd faint after about 5-8 seconds. You could let her go straight away and she'd come round quickly but I bet she would stop being psycho after the reset switch has been pressed.
    And cause her brain damage, way to go.

Sorry, but basic/rudimentary social norms state that persons have the right to go about their business without being physically attacked. And that self-defence is required to preserve that right. You're all being too PC. Self-defence, or the immorality of assault, cannot be an either/or scenario. Yes, life is not black and white, but all human beings hold the right to bodily integrity, this is why assault legislation exists.

This will get flames, but I think in UK society, women are brought up to be dependent, and even get away with things. If a woman is angry, she should not hit and expect people to say "aw!! she got angry, aww!!" Learn anger management, or at least basic emotional management. Learn basic social skills too, as one aspect of interaction is knowing how we are responsible for our difficult interactions with others. IMO, the attitude that women cannot control/manage themselves emotionally and must succumb to extreme behaviour because of this is offensive. If I were a woman, I would be greatly offended that per my gender I was somehow less emotionally developed.

ReputationRep:
    no i would not hit her, i would chop her into tiny pieces with a kitchen knife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    It's true you have to defend yourself, but if a man has to defend himself from a woman, can't he just restrain her? Cause in most cases, for a woman to defend herself she has to hit him cause its the only thing that can really weaken him, but when given the choice not to have to hit her and just to hold her arms together or something, surely the man should take it?
    I don't know about other guys, but I'd leave a punch as a last resort. I'm probably 9 or 10 inches taller and 4 or 5 stone heavier than most women, so I know that one punch could do some serious damage (Not saying im some sort of fighting machine here, im not, just stating facts ). Whereas the other way around, the only way a woman could hurt a man is catching him off guard/in the balls/bridge of the nose etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.