would you/ would you accept hitting a girl in this situation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    knock her block off..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd waste my time running after just to get back at her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    say an arguement has broke out and theres alot of shouting but it shows no signs of hitting. The girl after 10 mins then hits the boy in the face. She then runs due to fear of the boy hitting her back.

Why he should:
    - she brought the physical violence into the fight
    - she shouldnt be hitting people if shes not ready to be hit
    - it would make her think twice before attempting that again

Why he shouldnt:
    - the running away shows she may be learnt her lesson because of the fear of being hit
    - she might be weaker than him (no evidence showing either is stronger/weaker)
    - an eye for a eye solves nothing
    Your logical analysis just isn't realistic. Someone who has just been unexpectedly hit in the face doesn't stand there running through the for and against arguments before reacting.
    How someone reacts will depend on his upbringing, temperament , moral beliefs, maybe religion and emotions such as anger or fear and how much he can control them.

ReputationRep:
    It's not right to hit a woman, ever.

If she hits you then walk away or just hold her arms or hands, it doesn't prove anything to hit her back.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm.... iv hit a lad before and i stood there and apologised however did expect to be hit back and would not have acted like a wounded soldier he had done something wrong i got mad he didnt do anything back to me, just as i wouldnt if i had done something wrong and he had slapped me.

ReputationRep:
    Refer to Chris Brown.

But never hit a girl in anger or frustration (as in full strength, intentionally) guys, it's just low - if you're the kind of guy that does that seriously, it says a lot about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    I'd hit her by proxy whether I intended it or not. Several of my female friends are notorious for their lack of self-restraint. All of the retaliation, none of the stigma. I win.
    I often rep you, just because you have Christian Serratos in your sig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody_bum)
    As a woman, if I hit someone then I'd expect to be hit back, regardless of the gender (not that I'd ever hit anyone).

However if I ran away, then running after me just to hit me back seems a bit stupid.
    It does bring to mind some sort of benny hill scenario....

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this because I can see the appeal of both hitting her back and being the better person.
    I usually think that violence is never the answer but I have a rather short temper and can forget my principles from time to time :teehee:.
    At the end of the day it really does depend on context...perhaps if I'd been really out of order and felt they were justified in slapping me, I'd probably let it go but if someone had started on me first and they were the ones in the wrong and on top of that proceeded to slap me...I'd be more likely to consider retaliating.

And when it comes to arguments, slapping is kind of understandable. It's kind of less about the violence behind it and more of a shorthand for "you crossed the line"- it shocks the person but causes no permanent damage at the end of the day (not condoning it or anything, just saying how it's more acceptable and understandable). Once it descends into proper hitting, something's definitely wrong :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    I often rep you, just because you have Christian Serratos in your sig
    You have fine taste sir :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this because I can see the appeal of both hitting her back and being the better person.
    I usually think that violence is never the answer but I have a rather short temper and can forget my principles from time to time :teehee:.
    At the end of the day it really does depend on context...perhaps if I'd been really out of order and felt they were justified in slapping me, I'd probably let it go but if someone had started on me first and they were the ones in the wrong and on top of that proceeded to slap me...I'd be more likely to consider retaliating.

And when it comes to arguments, slapping is kind of understandable. It's kind of less about the violence behind it and more of a shorthand for "you crossed the line"- it shocks the person but causes no permanent damage at the end of the day (not condoning it or anything, just saying how it's more acceptable and understandable). Once it descends into proper hitting, something's definitely wrong :no:
    I do understand that not hitting is obviously the better thing to do, definitely what the better person should do.

My friend has a gf who goes on and on about how men shouldn't hit women and its bad etc etc. She once got really angry with him and HIT him (really hard) across his face and then immediately said if he ever hit her she'd leave him. I honestly feel sorry for men sometimes and I think that maybe this is why I feel so strongly about men being allowed to hit a woman back if she hits him first (this is also obviously dependent on the scenario). It cannot work only one way....

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't run after a woman if she hit me once and ran away. I do hit women occasionally though (I sparr with them sometimes in boxing, aways go lightly of course)

But yeah, I don't think it's right for people to use violence if they aren't prepared to have it reciprocated. If a small guy picks a fight with a huge rugby player, no one would have much sympathy for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moody_bum)
    I do understand that not hitting is obviously the better thing to do, definitely what the better person should do.

My friend has a gf who goes on and on about how men shouldn't hit women and its bad etc etc. She once got really angry with him and HIT him (really hard) across his face and then immediately said if he ever hit her she'd leave him. I honestly feel sorry for men sometimes and I think that maybe this is why I feel so strongly about men being allowed to hit a woman back if she hits him first (this is also obviously dependent on the scenario). It cannot work only one way....
    God, I hate people like that who think they're a law unto themselves :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Nope.Never with the exception of say she goes insane and is about to kill my kids.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a bit OTT in the situation you've given. If she kept hitting then yeah, hit her. That's what feminism has taught us anwway.

ReputationRep:
    I am a girl and I think that hitting a girl is acceptable, but I think your reasonings are silly.

Oh it was so annoying when I kicked and hit the annoying boys and they refused to hit me back..."can't hit a girl! she's a girl!" ...how offending and infuriating (this coming from prepubescent boys all meek and mild usually). This is one of the things which really annoys me. Won't go into it now. Nice and sunny today.

ReputationRep:
    I would never face that situation.. I never shout back in an argument, never, Just let the other party shout, after they are tired of shouting I attack them with my logic,... I never had to say sorry as a result of an argument, the people shouting at me later realizes their mistake and apologizes me,... I have got about 100 'I am sorry' cards at my storage..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)

OK, so people who cannot control themselves are warranted in hitting people? And right and wrong never exist in arguments/disputes.

ReputationRep:
    Hitting girls is fine, if it's in self defence; hitting guys is fine, if it's in self defence.

ReputationRep:
    If a girl hit a guy in the middle of an argument, I would assume that would be impulsive - if the guy hit back without thinking, then I might be OK with it - again, just because we're female doesn't mean we should get away with attacking men with no repercussions!
    However, in the case the OP outlined, I wouldn't find it acceptable because they assume that the guy has thought it through before hitting her back, almost like to teach her a lesson. That's not OK, and as a guy you have to have some responsibility for the fact that most of the time, if not always, a man will cause a lot more damage than a woman. There is a reason for the fact that people say don't hit girls!
    Best thing i reckon to do if you're a bloke and get hit by a girl, is to look at her like she's mental and walk away. She will feel very guilty - if you hit her back she'll only feel like the victim and if you hurt her you'll be the one feeling the guilt. Why sink to her level?

ReputationRep:
    I think in some cases it is ok to hit a girl.

A friend of mine was in a relationship with a bit of a nut case lass. She would get really violent with him, she was very spoilt and thought that kicking, slapping and scratching would get her her own way. He put up with this for over a year before he started to fight back. She once slapped him in the face and scratched his face really bad, he reacted by grabbing her arms and shaking her violently whilst shouting in her face. I witnessed this and tbh I think what he did was perfectly understandable. At other times I know he had thrown her/pushed her and slapped her. But if you had seen what this girl could get like you really wouldn't blame him for it.

Needless to say they eventually broke up.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.