I'm mature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    *slap*

:teehee:

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    OK, so people who cannot control themselves are warranted in hitting people? And right and wrong never exist in arguments/disputes.
    When did I say that
    Yes they do. Not all the time, I'll grant you that - but like I said, context.

ReputationRep:
    It is amusing how it is generally accepted in British society that a male hitting a female is 'wrong' due to the latter being weaker. But, is not the foreign policy of the USA and Britain about picking on 'weaker' people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    When did I say that
    Yes they do. Not all the time, I'll grant you that - but like I said, context.
    You implied that. And nothing is ever right or wrong in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Call me old fashioned but a man should NEVER hit a woman regardless of the situation. by all means complain, prosicute or whatever but its not right to hit a female regardless of what they've done.
    Bullocks.

ReputationRep:
    Tricky situation. Sure the girl may deserve it but it's still ethically wrong for a male to hit a female. She may have been having a random outburst and physical violence was something that just popped into her head at the heated point in the argument. Of course i am not saying that what she did was right or acceptable but maybe putting yourself in her shoes and what the fight was actually about, could change your outlook on the situation.
    I guess my bottom line is, that a male hitting a female is not ok in any situation.

ReputationRep:
    The only time you slap a girl is on the arse :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takemybreathaway)
    Tricky situation. Sure the girl may deserve it but it's still ethically wrong for a male to hit a female. She may have been having a random outburst and physical violence was something that just popped into her head at the heated point in the argument. Of course i am not saying that what she did was right or acceptable but maybe putting yourself in her shoes and what the fight was actually about, could change your outlook on the situation.
    I guess my bottom line is, that a male hitting a female is not ok in any situation.
    But wouldnt you agree it was pure talking until she decided to get violent so she brought any action by him on herself.

ReputationRep:
    If a girl hit me I would do the only reasonable thing and defend myself - which would include at least a modicum of physical force so as to ensure that she does not inflict further harm on me. Of course, society is flooding with feminists so many will disagree with this message (WOMEN ARE NOT SACRED BEINGS!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitologist)
    Whoever (male or female) physically abuses their partner needs to be told firmly and IMMEDIATELY that physical abuse is unacceptable. Responding in kind to physical abuse is idiotic. It's a lose:lose situation.

It is up to the individual whether or not they are prepared to give the 'abuser' a second chance and continue the relationship or just kick them to the curb and tell them to grow up.

Gender has NOTHING to do with abuse therefore having a debate about whether it is acceptable to hit a girl is ridiculous.
    There's a difference between hitting someone, or fighting, and 'abuse'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    You implied that. And nothing is ever right or wrong in life.
    No I didn't.
    Yes, yes, very philosophical. Unfortunately that doesn't really work on a practical everyday basis such as this. Also, if you really believed that you wouldn't have pounced on the "implication" of it being ok for people who can't control themselves to hit others.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between guys and girls though.
    If I hit my boyfriend, I doubt he'd even flinch, if he hit me I'd probably fall to the ground.

Anyway I don't think it would be acceptable, I don't think it would be acceptable if it was a guy that hit him either. An eye for an eye isn't the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt)
    What I don't get is, why would she hit you in the face after 10 minutes? Bit odd if you ask me.
    The OP's opening post said there was arguing and shouting but no hitting. I think the logical line of thought would be that 10 minutes into the argument the tension and was reaching 'boiling point' and the girl lashed out. Anybody who has ever seen or been involved in a serious argument will know just how quickly tension and aggression can quickly escalate when neither party are willing to back down or draw the line.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't and wouldn't accept it. Fair enough if she started attacking him and he had to because she was resisting restraint(though an alternative method to get her on the floor or help to restraint her would be preferable to hitting her in the face say) but since she ran she clearly realised she'd get hit back and didn't want it. It's frustrating in a way but then I'd not chase down a guy who had hit me just to hit him back, the fact they ran proves they fear your retaliation so that's enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    i still wouldnt in self defence, its just wrong. block the attacks yes but not hit back. Its just the way i was brought up, its like you shouldnt hit someone who can't fight back or someone younger.
    You sir, are a true gentleman and deserve to find a lovely woman you'll never have any need to hit anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    There's a difference between hitting someone, or fighting, and 'abuse'.
    Hitting someone you're in a relationship constitutes physical abuse. It doesn't matter what you would like it to be called - that's what it is.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty simple: you shouldn't hit ANYONE. If everyone followed this basic piece of advice, the world would be a better place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasitologist)
    Hitting someone you're in a relationship constitutes physical abuse. It doesn't matter what you would like it to be called - that's what it is.
    Rubbish. "Abuse" is a stream of actions without cause which completely undermine the dignity of the victim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.