Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS French Writing tips. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, could you give me some tips on what to write for the AS french writing part of the exam, what are good things to include e.g depuis sentences etc...

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxpark3r)
    Hi there, could you give me some tips on what to write for the AS french writing part of the exam, what are good things to include e.g depuis sentences etc...

Many thanks.
    It's tricky to suggest individual sentences that will automatically gain you full marks, since that's not really how the exam works. I did AQA, and certainly with them it's content, not grammatical accuracy, that carries most of the marks! Therefore the most important thing is to answer the question that you're being asked - all the subjunctive constructions with the pleonastic ne in the world won't help you if you write about something completely different to the question.

It's also very easy to go overboard in French writing by making your sentences too complicated - this is something that I still struggle with! Make sure that your writing is clear and that it reads naturally: this is an area where good grammar should help.

If you're really after magical sentences of awesomeness that will make your exam paper glow with a golden hue and cause the examiners to faint with joy, then sorry. That said, the best tip I can give you is to employ the odd subjunctive (but don't crowbar it in for the sake of it - keep it relevant to the question!) as well as some complex relative pronouns such as lequel.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languages Nutter)
    x
    Your posts are really helpful!:yy:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    Your posts are really helpful!:yy:
    Thanks!
    Awww - thanks so much for the compliment! Glad to be of service ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxpark3r)

Many thanks.
    Always do a plan before hand and list certain things you want to include in your essay and tick them off as you go. I know it's not a tip for what to write but it really helped me last year

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.