Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im doing a Art degree this September but if I can't get a job from this Im going to do a Architecture degree straight after. I only have 240 Ucas points so I wanted to know if my degree will count towards my Ucas score or will I have to study extra A levels while im at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    There's probably been a mistake in your offer. Contact the uni and make sure they know that you're doing a degree rather than A Levels or equivalent. A degree offer should be something similar to 'get at least 2:2/2:1 overall'.

Woops, edit: Your degree and/or portfolio will be your alternative for UCAS points. You'll also be a mature applicant by then so you'll have different requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ill have a look at what I need to do for a portfolio now then.
    edit: I wouldn't be a mature student. I will be 21 when I finish my art degree 25 is when your classed as a mature student?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't get UCAS points for a degree or a portfolio. You may be able to use them towards entry qualifications, but the UCAS tariff says "this qualification gets X points" and degrees aren't on there.

Over 21 is officially a mature student, but unis won't lower entry requirements or anything unitl you're much older.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ill just do two A levels while im at Uni then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbattle)
    Thanks ill just do two A levels while im at Uni then
    If you already know you want to do architecture, then why not just apply for that now? If you need more UCAS points to do the course you're interested in then have a gap year, do 2 A levels and reapply next year. It seems a pointless waste of time and money to enrol on a 3 year degree course, studying A levels alongside with the idea of doing a second degree afterwards. You are not entitled to any form of student loan or grant for a second degree meaning you'd have to fund it all yourself which unless you're in a very fortunate position where money isn't a problem, I doubt you'll be wanting to add to a 20k+ debt with bank loans to fund further study straight after graduating.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.