Turn on thread page Beta

My boyfriend is much better looking than I am watch

Hey, anon or delete please.

I've been with my boyfriend for a couple of months now. He is much more attractive than I am, sometimes I wonder what he sees in me. It's making me nervous about meeting his friends and his family, because I worry that they will just think 'What on earth does he see in her?'. He has said that I need to have more confidence in myself, but that doesn't change the way I look. I don't know what to do really, I know I am going to have to meet them at some point, I just worry about being really shy infront of them because of all this. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and your boyfriend has chosen to be with you so I don't think you need to worry about not being 'equal' to him.

Mainly, I think this problem is to do with insecurity which is something that you can eventually overcome. You've only been together for a few months, so just relax and enjoy the fun that the beginning of a relationship brings.

As for the parents, it's natural to be shy, but they are probably going to be paying more attention to your personality and how happy you make their son rather than how you look.

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    just be pleased you've pulled a hotty!I'm sure you're gorgeous and don't worry,everyone gets shy meeting the parents

ReputationRep:
    He clearly wants to show you off

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you have big boobs or are a very good cook.

ReputationRep:
    When a friend of mine goes out with a girl less attractive than him, we all usually tease him with stuff like "She must give really good head"

OP, I'm just kidding. Don't worry about it. I think your bf is right. Have more confidence. And anyone who looks down on you (or him, for that matter) is not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    When a friend of mine goes out with a girl less attractive than him, we all usually tease him with stuff like "She must give really good head"

OP, I'm just kidding. Don't worry about it. I think your bf is right. Have more confidence. And anyone who looks down on you (or him, for that matter) is not worth it.
    you're not kidding though

ReputationRep:
    Just proves that looks aren't everything.

I'm sure you're gorgeous anyway OP

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he and his family are not as shallow as you might think they are and love/will love your personality?

Also, sometimes people date less attractive partners to minimize the risk of their partner cheating.

ReputationRep:
    Score

Only time a lass should worry about such tripe as 'am I good enough' is if you fail to make him '...' else, get a clue and learn to love thyself sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, anon or delete please.

I've been with my boyfriend for a couple of months now. He is much more attractive than I am, sometimes I wonder what he sees in me. It's making me nervous about meeting his friends and his family, because I worry that they will just think 'What on earth does he see in her?'. He has said that I need to have more confidence in myself, but that doesn't change the way I look. I don't know what to do really, I know I am going to have to meet them at some point, I just worry about being really shy infront of them because of all this. Any advice?
    Yes it is Sometimes it comes down to how you present yourself, rather then how you actually look.

Plus, unless you are a drug addict or something like this, no parents will ever say "What does my son see in his girlfriend?"

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Only time a lass should worry about such tripe as 'am I good enough' is if you fail to make him '...' else, get a clue and learn to love thyself sister
    Ah thanks, that made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it

First of all, I bet you are a lot better looking than you think you are
    Secondly, relationships should really be based more on personality than looks - so you shouldn't worry. At least your boyfriend is definitely not shallow, though as said, I am sure you aren't as bad as you think you are. ^^ Just be happy you are with him and enjoy it! Don't care what anybody else says (after all, he is with you, not any other girl - there must be a reason!!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    He probably thinks you're much better looking than he is.

(Original post by DominF)
    Quick-fix: Make sure his family's already seen what you look like before meeting them. It'll stop your insecurities about your appearance from affecting your first impression since they'll already know what you look like.

But that's just a quick fix.

Long term: It's hard to offer advice on this without knowing more about the situation, but generally speaking, even from looking at this message board alone you can see many relationships are ruined by insecurity. You've probably got a really good thing going with this guy; you've been going out for a couple of months, he clearly likes you, so why stress? It's not like he'll suddenly go off you because of your appearance, he's known what you look like since the beginning. Does he know about these insecurities?
    I think he does know about my insecurities, yeah. He pays me a lot of compliments and I never know how to take them. I just find it hard to see what he sees in me really Loved your video btw

ReputationRep:
    Well at least you know you have a good personality then.. :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.