Turn on thread page Beta

How many times did you apply to Medical School before getting in? watch

• View Poll Results: How many times did you apply?
    62.59%
    22.45%
    4.76%
    4 or more
    10.20%

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys reckon its worth applying in year 13, even if you think you've got no chance?
    (my GCSE's are ok but not amazing, doubt i've got aaaa at As, and my work experience/volunteering is lacking..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicNerd)
    Do you guys reckon its worth applying in year 13, even if you think you've got no chance?
    (my GCSE's are ok but not amazing, doubt i've got aaaa at As, and my work experience/volunteering is lacking..)
    If you don't have sufficient work/voluntary experience, your chances are pretty low. I would suggest taking a gap year and use it effectively to make your application/PS a lot stronger.

You don't need AAAA at AS, some look more at AS grades whereas some don't look at them whatsoever.

What exactly are your GCSE grades? Have you done anything voluntary related or literally nothing?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's defo worth it! Pick as tactically as you can. If you get an interview-yay bonus. If you don't then at least you've got practice at applying, ukcat, and uni feedback on your application.
    I didnt get in this year but I learnt loads applying. Just make sure your teachers predict you AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should apply. What have you got to lose? Applying this year is better than applying nowhere and wasting a year.

Maybe you get lucky and get invited to an interview or two (and maybe even get an offer, you've got to be optimistic!).

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if you could apply to more than one course at the same Uni. And then if you get offers for both courses can you select the one you want? thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNervous)
    I was just wondering if you could apply to more than one course at the same Uni. And then if you get offers for both courses can you select the one you want? thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well as far as southampton says i can apply for bm5 and bm6 and not have a problem! BM6 is with foundation year and have to meet certain criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNervous)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah loads of people do that it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    If you don't have sufficient work/voluntary experience, your chances are pretty low. I would suggest taking a gap year and use it effectively to make your application/PS a lot stronger.

You don't need AAAA at AS, some look more at AS grades whereas some don't look at them whatsoever.

What exactly are your GCSE grades? Have you done anything voluntary related or literally nothing?
    A* in Maths and English, 7 A's (Bio, Chem, History, French, Music, Eng lit)
    3 B's (Physics, Geography, R.E)

Sadly, literally nothing. I have a fair amount of extra-curriculars, and I've been caring for my grandparents (My granny has alzheimers and my grandad can barely walk) for as long as I can remember, and often I've been the only one home when they need help, so I've got caring and first aid experience from that, but I've been struggling to get volunteering and work experience (my local GP's wont take me cause I live in an area where everyone knows everyone) so I know my chances are slim, bordering on non-existent.

ReputationRep:
    A* in Maths and English, 7 A's (Bio, Chem, History, French, Music, Eng lit)
    3 B's (Physics, Geography, R.E)

Sadly, literally nothing. I have a fair amount of extra-curriculars, and I've been caring for my grandparents (My granny has alzheimers and my grandad can barely walk) for as long as I can remember, and often I've been the only one home when they need help, so I've got caring and first aid experience from that, but I've been struggling to get volunteering and work experience (my local GP's wont take me cause I live in an area where everyone knows everyone) so I know my chances are slim, bordering on non-existent.
    1) your gcse's would allow Newcastle, Glasgow, Southampton amongst others so thats not an issue.
    2) check out just do it .com they do lots of voluntary stuff. Try find care home stuff, anything with disabled people/kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    UNO. Thank god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    1) your gcse's would allow Newcastle, Glasgow, Southampton amongst others so thats not an issue.
    2) check out just do it .com they do lots of voluntary stuff. Try find care home stuff, anything with disabled people/kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the GCSE requirements for southampton then?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what I should answer, the first time I applied I did have an offer but then messed up the grades, so reapplied and resat. So twice but for grades, not offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    Not sure what I should answer, the first time I applied I did have an offer but then messed up the grades, so reapplied and resat. So twice but for grades, not offers!
    Was this A level or GCSE
    A lot dont take A level Resits just module resits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    If I get Oxbridge standard grades, and all other aspects of my application are average, what are my chances of getting in first time?
    Zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    Was this A level or GCSE
    A lot dont take A level Resits just module resits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A level. Yes, I am well aware of that having had to do this research before reapplying!

ReputationRep:
    A level. Yes, I am well aware of that having had to do this research before reapplying!
    I dont really understand your question being that you have said ecactly what you want to know???!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dont really understand your question being that you have said ecactly what you want to know???!!!!!

Ignore this!!!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't ask a question ... I answered yours.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't ask a question ... I answered yours.
    Yes im aware of this one second i was on the bm6 for southampton thread then the next i was here i thought you were asking about getting into medical school as i said below my post ignore my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.