Turn on thread page Beta

How many times did you apply to Medical School before getting in? watch

• View Poll Results: How many times did you apply?
    62.59%
    22.45%
    4.76%
    4 or more
    10.20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    What are the GCSE requirements for southampton then?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    7 gcse's at grade A or higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes im aware of this one second i was on the bm6 for southampton thread then the next i was here i thought you were asking about getting into medical school as i said below my post ignore my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay, that's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    7 gcse's at grade A or higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Colleges where i live dont do part time adult gcse across 7 subjects. Only english math and science
    Like if i do english will that count as 1 GCSE or 2
    Same with science and maths

Results arent through yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Colleges where i live dont do part time adult gcse across 7 subjects. Only english math and science
    Like if i do english will that count as 1 GCSE or 2
    Same with science and maths

Results arent through yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    English lit is 1, English lang 1, double award science is 2, separate sciences is 3, maths is 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English lit is 1, English lang 1, double award science is 2, separate sciences is 3, maths is 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only had the option for single science which consists of all 3 sciences but not sure which this falls into?! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only had the option for single science which consists of all 3 sciences but not sure which this falls into?! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didnt actually know single science was allowed but I suppose I does make sense. Out school only allow double or triple

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didnt actually know single science was allowed but I suppose I does make sense. Out school only allow double or triple

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nowhere in 90 miles of me does applied science or double science. Nor can you take the three science singularly. Surely science is just science. I dont know what i meant to do about that. As i am an adult.

your secondary school or med school you applied to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this generally whats required

http://www.eastleigh.ac.uk/all-cours...23/GCSCG2.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really dont know much.about it as I did separate sciences so havent had to research that sort of thing sorry. I'd just email the uni if in doubt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really dont know much.about it as I did separate sciences so havent had to research that sort of thing sorry. I'd just email the uni if in doubt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok thanks im sure itll be fine. Hopefully theyll understand a human being cant travel 6 hours to a college everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From my experience (and the requirements online) if unis do want science they want it to at least double.

But I've also learned that old people seem to get a free pass with a lot of unis when it comes to GCSEs. Of the 5 odd on my short list only two want anything more than B in English and maths.

I've had to self teach and sit IGCSEs in each science because NOWHERE does GCSEs at all other than maths and English - the two I don't need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)
    From my experience (and the requirements online) if unis do want science they want it to at least double.

But I've also learned that old people seem to get a free pass with a lot of unis when it comes to GCSEs. Of the 5 odd on my short list only two want anything more than B in English and maths.

I've had to self teach and sit IGCSEs in each science because NOWHERE does GCSEs at all other than maths and English - the two I don't need.
    Theres no possibility in the world i can do double it contain biology chemistry and physics but its not classified as double im not sure if thats just laziness

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Theres no possibility in the world i can do double it contain biology chemistry and physics but its not classified as double im not sure if thats just laziness

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Single is an easier/shorter paper than double presumably.

Sitting double/triple privately is easily done. Probably costs about as much as that single course you linked.

First contact your favoured unis. If they're fine with it then this is a non issue.

ReputationRep:
    Ah read you've already taken them. Well at least you can get an A in it.

I enrolled on an adult resit course straight after high school. Wasn't told until study leave in May that we were only being entered for foundation. Pretty much got full UMS in every paper and all of them were instantly worthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)
    Ah read you've already taken them. Well at least you can get an A in it.

I enrolled on an adult resit course straight after high school. Wasn't told until study leave in May that we were only being entered for foundation. Pretty much got full UMS in every paper and all of them were instantly worthless.
    Is there any way around this with any other course
    (So worried i cant spell hence edit)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way around this with any other course
    (So worried i cant spell hence edit)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay I think what you're doing is essentially the 1st half of double science. Therefore if unis come.back.asking for double you could self teach a few more.units. (1 for each science) and.that'd be all.
    Double science is 2 separate gcse's where as single in 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay I think what you're doing is essentially the 1st half of double science. Therefore if unis come.back.asking for double you could self teach a few more.units. (1 for each science) and.that'd be all.
    Double science is 2 separate gcse's where as single in 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do i do exams for these self taught units . And get a certificate as proof. Sorry but never seen anyone with this issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Do i do exams for these self taught units . And get a certificate as proof. Sorry but never seen anyone with this issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised at the proportions here- from what I've seen at my own med school and what I've heard at others I'd have thought the percentage of people who get in 2nd time would be more like 40%. Never heard of anyone who tried applying more than twice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ab192)
    I'm suprised at the proportions here- from what I've seen at my own med school and what I've heard at others I'd have thought the percentage of people who get in 2nd time would be more like 40%. Never heard of anyone who tried applying more than twice though.
    Loads of people apply numerous times one person applied for 4 years until they got in because they messed up through nerves at interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.