Turn on thread page Beta

How many times did you apply to Medical School before getting in? watch

• View Poll Results: How many times did you apply?
    62.59%
    22.45%
    4.76%
    4 or more
    10.20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickie89uk)
    Do i do exams for these self taught units . And get a certificate as proof. Sorry but never seen anyone with this issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes you'd sit the exams in June and be certified.

What exam board were you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)
    Yes you'd sit the exams in June and be certified.

What exam board were you on?
    AQA how do i go about this.

Thank you so much this is all thats holding me back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusicNerd)
    Do you guys reckon its worth applying in year 13, even if you think you've got no chance?
    (my GCSE's are ok but not amazing, doubt i've got aaaa at As, and my work experience/volunteering is lacking..)

I would say yes. Do your Ps as best you can, then get feedback from the unis if you don't get interviewed as itll show you how they want it to be written/what you need to include next time.

ReputationRep:
    AQA how do i go about this.

Thank you so much this is all thats holding me back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...l-science-4408

I think this is what Em is talking about and now I do recall seeing it mentioned as 'double' science when combined with your single award on a few entry reqs.

You'd need to find the GCSE/Mature students on here who took this route for more help and make sure you ask them how they sat the practical.

ReputationRep:
    Massive thank yoj to everyone who Advised me
    (Original post by Stanley Winchest)
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...l-science-4408

I think this is what Em is talking about and now I do recall seeing it mentioned as 'double' science when combined with your single award on a few entry reqs.

You'd need to find the GCSE/Mature students on here who took this route for more help and make sure you ask them how they sat the practical.
    Thank you i contacted AQA and they advised me well. They have said to try and do ab external private candidate at secondary schools as opposed to colleges as most schoole will sit these anyway. But its 6 weeks holiday so have to contact them in september instead, hopefully ill find somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the stats for this, in surprised at how many people have applied more than 3 times! The most ive known is someone to get in on their 3rd application.

ReputationRep:
    Do i do exams for these self taught units . And get a certificate as proof. Sorry but never seen anyone with this issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah youd take exams and get a certificate just like single science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.

Looking at schools they are more likely to have this option available, having tk wait until the end of the six weeks holidays is frustrating. Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i thought that if you didnt get in the second time then theres no point in applying but ive been proven wrong! it takes alot fo determination to keep at it though so well done to all of you!!!!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    After 65 phone calls i have found three schools in my area that do external private candidate course so hopefully k can get this applied science qualifications. Now i have to wait to be contacted by their exam departments in september, but hopefully i have found a way.

Thank you so much, hopefully they allow me to do this with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After 65 phone calls i have found three schools in my area that do external private candidate course so hopefully k can get this applied science qualifications. Now i have to wait to be contacted by their exam departments in september, but hopefully i have found a way.

Thank you so much, hopefully they allow me to do this with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Contact unis first before you do it though or it may all be a waste of time taking the course

ReputationRep:
    Contact unis first before you do it though or it may all be a waste of time taking the course
    I will do southampton are being difficilt saying they cant confirm until time of application which i think is a unfair basically meaning you have to do the course plus A levels and then UKCAT and submit UCAS app before theyll tell you its wrong of them to say that. They should be able to say yes or no and not waste years of peoples lives. Every other uni manages to be able to give this information.

I will check however

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will do southampton are being difficilt saying they cant confirm until time of application which i think is a unfair basically meaning you have to do the course plus A levels and then UKCAT and submit UCAS app before theyll tell you its wrong of them to say that. They should be able to say yes or no and not waste years of peoples lives. Every other uni manages to be able to give this information.

I will check however

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Southampton said the same to me about A levels. I agree it's unfair to say they can't answer questions surely that's part of the reason the admissions dept exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I will check however

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I found Southampton really difficult when I asked what the threshold was for interview on ukcat scores keep emailing and calling just quote the website where it says you need double then explain your situation. When they reply without answers just keep asking slightly differently thats how I got information from aberdeen and sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I found Southampton really difficult when I asked what the threshold was for interview on ukcat scores keep emailing and calling just quote the website where it says you need double then explain your situation. When they reply without answers just keep asking slightly differently thats how I got information from aberdeen and sheffield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i have called several time emailed several times ive been in to them and they just fob me off and say my enquiry will be attached to my application once received from UCAS. I explained i have to take science GCSE and my A levels yet and i was enquiring about science GCSE and she reiterated that i had to wait until they recieve my application from UCAS. I think its rude and uneccessary when they could say yes or no and save the hassle. What im seeing is im not the only person having this problem however i can help you with UKCAT minimum requirements of those interviewed last year which is automated to the email and sent out. Sorry for lack of gramma but been emailing all day and my hands are hurting.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Admissions at University of Southampton (UG Medicine) <[email protected]>
    Date: Monday, 11 August 2014
    Subject: BM6

Dear Victoria,

As per our pervious emails If you decide to apply to us, you should send a copy of the syllabus at the time of applying and we would link this with your UCAS application. Unfortunately we do not check programme information prior to the applicant applying due to such a high demand of requests.

Date: Saturday, 9 August 2014
    Subject: Automatic reply: BM6

August 2014

Thank you for emailing the Faculty of Medicine. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible but there may be a delay particularly if your enquiry is complex, as we receive a very high number of emails. In the meantime you may find the information you require below. Please note that if your enquiry is answered using the links and information provided in this email, you will not receive an additional response.

CLEARING/WAIT LISTING
    Please note that the Faculty of Medicine does not enter into Clearing or Wait Listing.

GENERAL ENQUIRIES
    Please refer to the link below (2015 Prospectus) for details of the following:

· Programme descriptions
    · Entry requirements
    · UKCAT test requirements
    · Acceptable/equivalent qualifications
    · English language requirements
    · How to apply
    · BM6/Widening Access programme, including eligibility criteria

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/...EB-SPREADS.pdf

If you haven’t already done so, please refer to our website www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine>

UKCAT TEST (CLINICAL APTITUDE)
    The UKCAT test is used as part of the selection process by Southampton Medical School and must be taken in the summer prior to making an application. Applicants will be able to register to take the UKCAT in June. Registration will only be available on-line via the website at www.ukcat.ac.uk<http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/>. Further details of how to take the test are available on our website.

All applicants for BM4 and BM5 will initially need to score minimum 2500 to be considered. We will then be ranking applicants by UKCAT score and those with the highest scores will be invited to a selection day. This will include an interview (based on non academic criteria including personal statement) and a group task. Applicants for BM6 are also required to take the test but there is no cut-off.

Lowest UKCAT scores for those invited to interview – previous cycle:-

Programme

Lowest UKCAT score of those interviewed

BM4 Graduates

BM5 School leavers/graduates/overseas

BM5 Mature non-graduates

FEEDBACK
    I am afraid that we are unable to provide individual feedback as to why an application is unsuccessful.

EQUIVALENT QUALIFICATIONS
    We receive a very high number of enquiries regarding equivalent qualifications and I am afraid it is not always possible for us to respond individually.

You are welcome to submit an Application and on receipt of your Application we would then consider your eligibility.

Please refer to page 16 of the 2014 Prospectus (link above).

You may find it useful to refer to UK Naric, the UK’s National Agency responsible for providing information on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world. http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/

OPEN DAYS
    The next Southampton University 2014 Open Days will be held on Friday 5th and Saturday 6th September. Please follow the link for further information, including registration: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergr...ity_open_days/

VIRTUAL TOUR OF SOUTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL

Please refer to link below:
    Southampton General Hospital campus tour - University of Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have called several time emailed several times ive been in to them and they just fob me off and say my enquiry will be attached to my application once received from UCAS. I explained i have to take science GCSE and my A levels yet and i was enquiring about science GCSE and she reiterated that i had to wait until they recieve my application from UCAS. I think its rude and uneccessary when they could say yes or no and save the hassle. What im seeing is im not the only person having this problem however i can help you with UKCAT minimum requirements of those interviewed last year which is automated to the email and sent out. Sorry for lack of gramma but been emailing all day and my hands are hurting.

Date: Monday, 11 August 2014
    Subject: BM6

Dear Victoria,

As per our pervious emails If you decide to apply to us, you should send a copy of the syllabus at the time of applying and we would link this with your UCAS application. Unfortunately we do not check programme information prior to the applicant applying due to such a high demand of requests.

Date: Saturday, 9 August 2014
    Subject: Automatic reply: BM6

August 2014

Thank you for emailing the Faculty of Medicine. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible but there may be a delay particularly if your enquiry is complex, as we receive a very high number of emails. In the meantime you may find the information you require below. Please note that if your enquiry is answered using the links and information provided in this email, you will not receive an additional response.

CLEARING/WAIT LISTING
    Please note that the Faculty of Medicine does not enter into Clearing or Wait Listing.

GENERAL ENQUIRIES
    Please refer to the link below (2015 Prospectus) for details of the following:

· Programme descriptions
    · Entry requirements
    · UKCAT test requirements
    · Acceptable/equivalent qualifications
    · English language requirements
    · How to apply
    · BM6/Widening Access programme, including eligibility criteria

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/...EB-SPREADS.pdf

If you haven’t already done so, please refer to our website www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine>

UKCAT TEST (CLINICAL APTITUDE)
    The UKCAT test is used as part of the selection process by Southampton Medical School and must be taken in the summer prior to making an application. Applicants will be able to register to take the UKCAT in June. Registration will only be available on-line via the website at www.ukcat.ac.uk<http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/>. Further details of how to take the test are available on our website.

All applicants for BM4 and BM5 will initially need to score minimum 2500 to be considered. We will then be ranking applicants by UKCAT score and those with the highest scores will be invited to a selection day. This will include an interview (based on non academic criteria including personal statement) and a group task. Applicants for BM6 are also required to take the test but there is no cut-off.

Lowest UKCAT scores for those invited to interview – previous cycle:-

Programme

Lowest UKCAT score of those interviewed

BM4 Graduates

BM5 School leavers/graduates/overseas

BM5 Mature non-graduates

FEEDBACK
    I am afraid that we are unable to provide individual feedback as to why an application is unsuccessful.

EQUIVALENT QUALIFICATIONS
    We receive a very high number of enquiries regarding equivalent qualifications and I am afraid it is not always possible for us to respond individually.

You are welcome to submit an Application and on receipt of your Application we would then consider your eligibility.

Please refer to page 16 of the 2014 Prospectus (link above).

You may find it useful to refer to UK Naric, the UK’s National Agency responsible for providing information on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world. http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/

OPEN DAYS
    The next Southampton University 2014 Open Days will be held on Friday 5th and Saturday 6th September. Please follow the link for further information, including registration: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergr...ity_open_days/

VIRTUAL TOUR OF SOUTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL

Please refer to link below:
    Southampton General Hospital campus tour - University of Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To me it sounds like shes misunderstood, seems like she thinks you're literally asking about whether your specific course is accepted eg as if it was an exam board issue or whatever. I'd copy and paste off the website the bit about double science and explain how youve done single etc.
    Though I expect you'll have to do double.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To me it sounds like shes misunderstood, seems like she thinks you're literally asking about whether your specific course is accepted eg as if it was an exam board issue or whatever. I'd copy and paste off the website the bit about double science and explain how youve done single etc.
    Though I expect you'll have to do double.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said ive done a single award science and addition/applied as a seperate award to make a double award sent them the information regarding it and they said they couldnt tell me also Autumn emailed about an access course as opposed to A levels in regards to a specific college she got the same response (saw this on her previous post somewhere in the medical threads) seems they just cant be bothered.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First time! I think getting it any time is a mix of luck and a ridiculous amount of hard work, I met someone at an interview whose sister had been rejected without interview from everywhere she applied her first time, then the second time she got all 4 offers! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I said ive done a single award science and addition/applied as a seperate award to make a double award sent them the information regarding it and they said they couldnt tell me also Autumn emailed about an access course as opposed to A levels in regards to a specific college she got the same response (saw this on her previous post somewhere in the medical threads) seems they just cant be bothered.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personally, the way a department behaves with prospective candidates would play a role in my deciding where to apply.
    I've found it usually mirrors the way they treat or handle situations with their students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Personally, the way a department behaves with prospective candidates would play a role in my deciding where to apply.
    I've found it usually mirrors the way they treat or handle situations with their students.
    I absolutely agree Southampton were so unhelpful with me it put me right off and same with Leeds! When you compare how good QUB and Aberdeen etc have been its ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 14, 2014

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.