Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An irregular shaped single storey school measures 70m x 25m x 3m high. Including glazing, the external walls have an area of 2000m2. The total area of the glazing is 750m2. The building will be maintained at 22oC and assume a winter design temperature of -2oC. Assume there will be no internal losses.

Data:
    Rate of infiltration 1.5 air change per hour
    U-value of external walls 0.32 W/m2K
    U-value of windows 1.6 W/m2K
    U-value of floor 0.30 W/m2K
    U-value of roof 0.25 W/m2K

Calculate the heat loss in kW including a 10% margin.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Decent question lol, might forward it to my math teacher if you're having trouble later on

ReputationRep:
    Please do, I've no idea how it's done, teacher just handed it to me and said figure it out.. No notes I dont even know what the hell the title is to research for formulas >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blindsidev1)
    Please do, I've no idea how it's done, teacher just handed it to me and said figure it out.. No notes I dont even know what the hell the title is to research for formulas >.>
    google ?

http://www.tombling.com/heaters/heatloss.htm

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that is the correct formula , nothing about those figures in the table to the right were talked about?

ReputationRep:
    no I'm not, although the method of caculating heat loss seems to be the same on the few web sites I looked at, I doubt many people on the student room maths forum are structural engineers so I'm suggesting you use google to research the formulae you might use with the information you have been given.

another e.g. http://www.arca53.dsl.pipex.com/index_files/tt7.htm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.