Turn on thread page Beta

can you take levonelle (morning after pill) twice in one cycle? watch

i know it's truly awful to get yourself in this situation, but i have and i hate myself for it.

i went on the levonelle website and it says not to use it twice in one cycle, but when i search this question on google lots of people say you can/they have.

i know i need to ask my pharmacist, so please don't tell me that if you're going to.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    The morning after pill is pretty strong stuff. I remember my best friend had one and it really threw her cycle. I wouldn't do it, but I suppose if you've gotten yourself in the mess, it's the only option.

Furthermore, I think you need this:
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/how_t...article_em.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i know it's truly awful to get yourself in this situation, but i have and i hate myself for it.

i went on the levonelle website and it says not to use it twice in one cycle, but when i search this question on google lots of people say you can/they have.

i know i need to ask my pharmacist, so please don't tell me that if you're going to.

thank you
    If it says not to take it twice in one cycle, then there's probably a good reason why they say that.

I say, take a trip down to your local sexual health clinic/family planning clinic ASAP and get some advice from one of the GPs there. It's a hell of a lot less embarrassing than going straight to a pharmacist as they deal with situations like this and a lot worse every day, and on the whole, they're really helpful.

Hope all goes well .

ReputationRep:
    I have, I don't think it's "dangerous" per se, but I did have the entirety of mother nature's wrath during my next period, urgh. :/

(Original post by *Lollo*)
    The morning after pill is pretty strong stuff. I remember my best friend had one and it really threw her cycle. I wouldn't do it, but I suppose if you've gotten yourself in the mess, it's the only option.

Furthermore, I think you need this:
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/how_t...article_em.htm
    thanks

i do know how to use a condom. it's split twice but we now know why... no need to be patronising

(Original post by 94_confessions)
    If it says not to take it twice in one cycle, then there's probably a good reason why they say that.

I say, take a trip down to your local sexual health clinic/family planning clinic ASAP and get some advice from one of the GPs there. It's a hell of a lot less embarrassing than going straight to a pharmacist as they deal with situations like this and a lot worse every day, and on the whole, they're really helpful.

Hope all goes well .
    thank you

(Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora)
    I have, I don't think it's "dangerous" per se, but I did have the entirety of mother nature's wrath during my next period, urgh. :/
    did whoever gave it to you know you had already taken it in that cycle?

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, but the best form of contraception is to stop rooting all the boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary_D1993)
    I'm no expert, but the best form of contraception is to stop rooting all the boys
    Legend.

You shouldn't take levonelle twice in one cycle. Or at least, like you said consult your pharmacist.

But you can go and get a copper IUD (coil) inserted, which is more effective in preventing pregnancy, can be used effectively up to 5 days after the unprotected sex, and will address the issues you seem to be having with safe sex/contraception in the long run.

I would make an emergency appointment at the GPs to discuss things, they should help you out. Levonelle isn't the only emergency contraceptive.

If not the copper coil, consider implant? Depo? Mirena coil? You don't have to take a pill every day with these and they will protect you. Trust me it's really nice for you and your body just to have Contraception. Sorted.

Good luck OP.

My best friend took Levonelle once, I know it's not nice, just trying to help not patronise.

ReputationRep:
    I took it twice in a cycle. Caused me no problems apart from a delayed period. the doctor gave it me so it can't be that bad

(Original post by mazzie111)
    I took it twice in a cycle. Caused me no problems apart from a delayed period. the doctor gave it me so it can't be that bad
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    i'm in a similar position and also feel dreadfull. i've taken it three times over the course of two weeks and i have stomach pains and all sorts of symptoms for various scary stuff that i really don't want to think about. i also know of a girl who did the same thing as me, luckily shes alright now, however it effected her so badley she went in to hospital for a short while because it messed up her hormone balance or somthing. if i were you i'd ignore the websites and focus on how you feel, you might be fine; because effects seem to vary on different people.

also be aware of long term effects my freind has been told it will be harder for her to get pregnant in the future when she wants kids. Also i'm underage so hormones effect teens more apparently.

Please be careful with the morning after pill.
    I used it and still got pregnant (was a ectopic) and yes I used it correctly.
    It's great for emergency situations but try and get some long term solutions sorted. I also have used it twice in one cycle, wasn't nice at all.
    Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:

thank you
    Hey, if the company's website says you shouldn't then no you shouldn't. I have taken the Levonelle pill twice before, although it wasn't in the same cycle. I think taking it will most likely result in your cycle being very messed up. Good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    Please be careful with the morning after pill.
    I used it and still got pregnant (was a ectopic) and yes I used it correctly.
    It's great for emergency situations but try and get some long term solutions sorted. I also have used it twice in one cycle, wasn't nice at all.
    Good luck OP!
    I've taken it twice before too, never resulted in a pregnancy either times. However, bare in mind it's most likely to be effective within the first 24 hours then becomes less effective after 48-72 hours. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiesandcream2)
    I've taken it twice before too, never resulted in a pregnancy either times. However, bare in mind it's most likely to be effective within the first 24 hours then becomes less effective after 48-72 hours. xx
    Its effectiveness depends on where you are in your menstrual cycle.

In a nutshell, Levonelle works by delaying/preventing ovulation, and reducing likelihood of implantation.

If you've already ovulated, then you are relying on it managing to thicken the womb lining enough that the fertilised egg doesn't implant. And it's not that effective at that bit.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-r...-one-step.html

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat but really worried about taking it twice my period is due in 13 days time

Omg my case is worse, I had sex with my girlfriend on Thursday, I pulled out, she took the pill on Saturday, then had sex on Saturday night , unknown to me she had taken the pill earlier in the afternoon, the comdom got lost twice Inside her. So w we divided to get another one on Monday. She's so scared and so am I. It's really hard to comfort her as well as put on a brave face, when I am also scared

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.