Turn on thread page Beta

Hi,

I'm taking a gap year after college and was wondering whether anyone knows anywhere that I could do chemistry AS and A2 in one year?

Has anyone done it?

Any help would be amazing : )

Depends on the person. So many many variables.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course you could. Ring up a local college, and just attend all the classes (AS and A2), so even ask if they do an accelerated course. It would be a struggle because Chemistry is rock hard, but go for itt

ReputationRep:
    Possible: Yes

difficult: Yes

many would say chemistry is the hardest a-level. If ur willing to put the work in.....then its possible. But are u gnna be self-teaching? Cuz tht cud stop u 4rm an a*/a. If u do aqa....unit 4 is the tiebreaker....so a lot to consider....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahul.s)
    possible: Yes

difficult: Yes

many would say chemistry is the hardest a-level. If ur willing to put the work in.....then its possible. But are u gnna be self-teaching? Cuz tht cud stop u 4rm an a*/a. If u do aqa....unit 4 is the tiebreaker....so a lot to consider....
    unit 1 was a tie breaker 4 u

rip every1 :e:e:e:e especially rahu

ReputationRep:
    It's easily possible, I know a girl who did A-level Biology in a year; whilst she was in her 2nd year at 6th form. She did end up going to Oxford though

Defiantly possible, but you will have to work your arse off but there's nothing new about that when it comes to doing A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extricated)
    unit 1 was a tie breaker 4 u

rip every1 :e:e:e:e especially rahu
    ffs!

"shu...me and faiza had the chemistry,
    attracted physically,
    bonded chemically
    but nw im moving forward
    and faiza is historyyyyyy"

peak timez :e

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else says, it'll be possible but you're gonna have to work your balls off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    ffs!

"shu...me and faiza had the chemistry,
    attracted physically,
    bonded chemically
    but nw im moving forward
    and faiza is historyyyyyy"

peak timez :e
    Eh? Talk about family
    I merked ur family
    Me and ur family were attracted lyrically
    Merked ur sis and she exists outside of reality
    Left your house with a black hole, dont try sending coz u got no SIMILES

SNM

ReputationRep:
    chemistry in one year? it's unheard of. Intensive maths is common, but I never saw anyone do intensive chem.

However, it is achievable if you really want to go for it and are motivated. There is a high work load due to accessed practicals (x2 because you are doing AS + A2 in one year) and the exams take a longer time to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't envy the workload you're gonna have, but it's not all doom and gloom: you'll find that a hell of a lot of stuff you learn at AS is directly useful at A2, every mechanism, test, synthesis route, name of compounds, spectrometry, equilibria, enthalpy, it all comes up again, and if you still know everything from AS you won't have to learn it all again like I'm having to do (having forgotten EVERYTHING in the past year ^^), so it could become an advantage. That's a significant chunk of the A2 course you'll find you already know most of.

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself both chemistry & biology in 1 year. It's definitely possible and not that uncommon.

I find chemistry much easier and have managed to teach myself from just using the 2 OCR course textbooks. For chemistry A-level you will not need any additional books, even to get full marks (whereas I am finding biology takes a lot more reading in different books, possibly because the OCR text book is useless).

As I'm teaching myself I'm a private candidate, and its been a nightmare finding a college to sit practical exams (almost impossible). You can do intensive 1 year courses at loads of colleges or a few evening classes. However intensive evening classes aren't that common for chemistry. West London Ealing offers one that I know of, and its about £500 in total with 2 evening classes each week. Its even possible to do a distance learning A-level in one year for chemistry. Try searching distance learning edexcel chemistry on google and you should find something. I guess this would be the cheapest & most flexible way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.