The Student Room Group

Conditional Offers for International Students?

Okay...

Basically, I'm an Australian student looking to apply for the 2013 intake. Our final exams are in November (we get our results back in late December), and from my understanding, applications open in October. Would I be able to use my predicted results to apply to Oxford for a conditional offer in October?

There's nothing on the Oxford website (from my research) that has stated this, so I thought it would be best to come here before directly emailing the school. (I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.)

Thanks! :smile:
Hey... I applied (and got an offer) from NSW doing the HSC.

Ask your school to put a predicted ATAR into your UCAS application (if the school is uncomfortable with giving out predicted ATARs, tell them that you can't actually see what they put in - so as long as it's above the 98.5 cut-off Oxford recommends, then you don't mind what exactly it is). Your college will then treat that prediction the same as it would an English student's - i.e. they'll set you a requirement (mine was the 98.5 as per the website) which you inform them of when you get the results back. In my case, I actually had my ATAR several days before the offer came out, even though it was a conditional offer anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by m-rob
x

Thanks so much! That explained a LOT of questions :smile:
I've just started year 11 and am trying to best prepare myself for the application process as possible. I think I'll start (briefly) on my personal statement in the holidays.
Congrats on your offers... the both of you! Which college/s are you going to, and what subject/s are you studying (just out of curiosity)?
(... not sounding stalker-ish AT ALL. :biggrin:)

Also, even though this is KIND OF off topic, did either of you get a predicted ATAR at the end of semester one in year 12? We're getting our first ones at the end of this semester (I'm in WA) and I'm pretty anxious - if I DO get below the 98.5 benchmark, I wouldn't exactly like that mark to impede upon my chances of getting in.

Thanks!
Yeah I'd say get round to it early.. I started PS/application during Term 1 of Year 12, and only got my application in right on the October 15 deadline (though that was equally because it took a while to get teachers/school to submit their part).....but yeahhh the earlier you start the better I think, because it's a pretty epic effort with HSC/whatever WA does going on at the same time.

I'm not sure how the WA system works, but I got my predicted ATAR after our trials, which are about 3 weeks into Term 3 if I recall - so when the entire internal mark of our HSC had been calculated (again, that might make no sense in the context of the WA system). I get the sense that Oxford won't consider you if your predictions are below 98.5, so in a worst-case scenario beg your school to give you it (even if you're just a tiny bit off), and then at least you have the chance to work really hard and get the marks as well as then have the chance to interview etc.

And I'm doing PPE.
Reply 4
Thanks again for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending