Turn on thread page Beta

I've graduated; is this it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure where to put this as it's sort of a careers issue, but it's affecting my health.

I graduated last June from a Russell Group university with a 2:1 in an academic discipline. While I was at university, I had a tonne of great experiences (not just your typical getting drunk) and got to work in Canada for 3 summers in a row. A lot of the friends I made at university have also now graduated and people I knew there are in really high-flying jobs, like one person I knew is now working for HSBC in Panama, and someone else I know has just got a really good and exciting job in Ireland.

I, on the other hand, am working in a call centre. Don't get me wrong, for what I do, the money is really good and I'm managing to save quite a bit. I've also been given more responsibility within my department. I don't look down on the job and I do feel grateful to be employed at the moment, but it isn't what I want to do in the long term.

At the moment, I'm saving up to work abroad for a year, but whenever I'm not at work, I'm sitting at home thinking to myself 'is this it?'. I seem to go to work, enjoy my job while I'm there, but come home and wish for a more exciting life.

While I was at university, I used to go to the theatre and concerts regularly and was also heavily involved in a couple societies (I was on the committee for one of them) and so had a lot of friends. Now however I have one friend at home and I don't get to see them very often.

Before I went to university, I envisaged my post-graduate life being filled with thrills and spills, whereas I'm now sitting here with a packet of Hobnobs staring out the window wishing my life was more exciting.

I'm just scared to take the plunge however as I really would miss the money from my job if I just quit.

It sounds like you placed your expectations too high.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    You enjoy your job and it pays well so why quit? You said you're saving to work abroad next year so don't feel down about your life right now. Try to see it as an 'inbetween phase'.

I graduate in July this year and I plan to do sort of the same thing - I'll try and get any job I can to begin with in order to save money and learn to drive and take a course in environmental management. I imagine I'll feel exactly the same as you, but you just have to think about what your working towards.

Plan out what sort of job you want, where you want to work and how you're going to achieve that. You sound like an intelligent, motivated person so I have no doubt you'll achieve what you want to.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what "academic disipline" you graduated from?

ReputationRep:
    Life is about more than just a career, even though it's really important to enjoy your work. Find hobbies and interests, do challenging things, maybe volunteer, stretch yourself. An awesome and fulfilling social life will not just land on your doorstep, you have to go out and get it for yourself. Off you go! (start small)

ReputationRep:
    Take a risk. Quit your job, get on the next plane out and have fun. **** working at a call center after a degree man. Go get a career

ReputationRep:
    Go back to uni! Do a masters in your subject! Then after that do a PHD, that's what I intend on doing-work is terribly boring no matter how useful the money is have you not been able to find a graduate level job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BihterSaat)
    Go back to uni! Do a masters in your subject! Then after that do a PHD, that's what I intend on doing-work is terribly boring no matter how useful the money is have you not been able to find a graduate level job?
    I started to apply for graduate jobs in my final year, but then I decided to go back to Canada for the summer and thought 'sod it'. So then when I came back I was in the situation of needing a job but not having time to hold out for a graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smem)
    You enjoy your job and it pays well so why quit? You said you're saving to work abroad next year so don't feel down about your life right now. Try to see it as an 'inbetween phase'.

I graduate in July this year and I plan to do sort of the same thing - I'll try and get any job I can to begin with in order to save money and learn to drive and take a course in environmental management. I imagine I'll feel exactly the same as you, but you just have to think about what your working towards.

Plan out what sort of job you want, where you want to work and how you're going to achieve that. You sound like an intelligent, motivated person so I have no doubt you'll achieve what you want to.
    Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I suppose really I always knew that I was going to be in this position because once I decided to go back to Canada for the summer and stop the graduate job applications, I always knew that I'd have to come home and face the reality of not being in a graduate job right away.

ReputationRep:
    move country

ReputationRep:
    At least you have Hobnobs

But really, why should you feel down? You're going to have a fantastic time working abroad. This job you have is just a means to an end, and even with that being the case you're clearly doing very well at it!

Focus instead on how nice it is to have a low-stress life with few responsibilities, and no money worries. Pick up a new hobby or two. Chillax! :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    At least you have Hobnobs

But really, why should you feel down? You're going to have a fantastic time working abroad. This job you have is just a means to an end, and even with that being the case you're clearly doing very well at it!

Focus instead on how nice it is to have a low-stress life with few responsibilities, and no money worries. Pick up a new hobby or two. Chillax! :bhangra:
    Thanks for your advice. It's true what you're saying. I do have a lot to be thankful for when so many people I know are unemployed at the moment and like you say, the job is just a means to an end at the moment and I'm also enjoying it.

Thanks for helping me put it all in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, whats the 'acedemic disipline'?

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the nihilism of post educational life. When at school and university there is always something to be pushing for and aiming at. Once you move beyond that you get stuck in a day in/day out routine where nothing much changes, maybe every few years you'll get a promotion but that's about it. Unless you have a really interesting job then this is pretty much how it goes for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    in my experience, yes, that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Welcome to the nihilism of post educational life. When at school and university there is always something to be pushing for and aiming at. Once you move beyond that you get stuck in a day in/day out routine where nothing much changes, maybe every few years you'll get a promotion but that's about it. Unless you have a really interesting job then this is pretty much how it goes for the rest of your life.
    ok, now I'm scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    This coming from someone who's still at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    This coming from someone who's still at university.
    Coming from someone who has left uni and got a job (one which many might say is interesting) he is still pretty much dead right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js374)
    Coming from someone who has left uni and got a job (one which many might say is interesting) he is still pretty much dead right.
    hmmmm... I may kill myself after I finish uni then.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.