Turn on thread page Beta

I've graduated; is this it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    hmmmm... I may kill myself after I finish uni then.
    Please.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're taking things a bit too seriously. Decide what area you want to go into once the economic situation's leveled out a bit and just make a plan to get there. Of course working life's going to seem **** if your only experience of it is working in a call centre...

ReputationRep:
    This coming from someone who's still at university.
    Someone who had a three year break between sixth form and university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Please.
    knew someone would say something like this. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm... I may kill myself after I finish uni then.
    Don't do that. Just find a job that you can enjoy and take pride in,

Failing that, find a job that is not too soul destroying,

Failing that, find a job that does not involve being ritually tortured

and failing that, live for the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kowa)
    I, on the other hand, am working in a call centre. Don't get me wrong, for what I do, the money is really good and I'm managing to save quite a bit. I've also been given more responsibility within my department. I don't look down on the job and I do feel grateful to be employed at the moment, but it isn't what I want to do in the long term.
    Woah :lolwut: How much are you earning for that if you don't mind me asking? I've worked in a call centre and it was probably the most deadly dull job I've ever had. It was fun for the first couple of weeks, but then the monotony and repetition sets in, and that coupled with the occasional moody person on the other end as well as being sat down the whole day staring at a list of numbers and names makes it so unappealing. I got £7/hour for that, but I would certainly want more if I were to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactussed)
    Woah :lolwut: How much are you earning for that if you don't mind me asking? I've worked in a call centre and it was probably the most deadly dull job I've ever had. It was fun for the first couple of weeks, but then the monotony and repetition sets in, and that coupled with the occasional moody person on the other end as well as being sat down the whole day staring at a list of numbers and names makes it so unappealing. I got £7/hour for that, but I would certainly want more if I were to do it again.
    Do you what video that gif. image is based on?

ReputationRep:
    Surely your life can't be that bad if you are working in a call centre and getting paid decently for it and you know you're only doing it to save money for a year abroad. Surely you must be able to stick it out?

ReputationRep:
    Look on the bright side. There's always people worse off. At least you're in employment right now, and have a summer abroad to look forward to.

I got a 2.1, started a postgrad degree which I left after 6 months as I realised the career (teaching) wasn't really for me. I'm now out of work and struggling to even get a job in a nursery as I'm over qualified.

I'm sure things will get better. Get some hobbies, meet new people and just keep working your way up until you're where you want to be. Life is all about the journey, not the destination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawflo)
    Do you what video that gif. image is based on?

Geraldine did another one recently for Comic Relief, made my night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kowa)
    I wasn't sure where to put this as it's sort of a careers issue, but it's affecting my health.

I graduated last June from a Russell Group university with a 2:1 in an academic discipline. While I was at university, I had a tonne of great experiences (not just your typical getting drunk) and got to work in Canada for 3 summers in a row. A lot of the friends I made at university have also now graduated and people I knew there are in really high-flying jobs, like one person I knew is now working for HSBC in Panama, and someone else I know has just got a really good and exciting job in Ireland.

I, on the other hand, am working in a call centre. Don't get me wrong, for what I do, the money is really good and I'm managing to save quite a bit. I've also been given more responsibility within my department. I don't look down on the job and I do feel grateful to be employed at the moment, but it isn't what I want to do in the long term.

At the moment, I'm saving up to work abroad for a year, but whenever I'm not at work, I'm sitting at home thinking to myself 'is this it?'. I seem to go to work, enjoy my job while I'm there, but come home and wish for a more exciting life.

While I was at university, I used to go to the theatre and concerts regularly and was also heavily involved in a couple societies (I was on the committee for one of them) and so had a lot of friends. Now however I have one friend at home and I don't get to see them very often.

Before I went to university, I envisaged my post-graduate life being filled with thrills and spills, whereas I'm now sitting here with a packet of Hobnobs staring out the window wishing my life was more exciting.

I'm just scared to take the plunge however as I really would miss the money from my job if I just quit.
    I think you need to put yourself out there a little more. Really look for opportunities, be your own person, get involved in things (vague I know, haha). If you really want to push for something now's the time you can; you've got your qualifications, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Nice use of the semi-colon in the thread title. I guess you learnt that trick in your 'academic discipline'.

But anyway, it hasn't even been a year since you've graduated. I doubt many people go straight into an amazing career. Give it time. At least you've got a plan (saving up to work abroad). See how that goes, maybe you'll get a clear idea of what you want to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like my life at university... god what's it gona be like once I graduate

ReputationRep:
    I finish uni in june and I have very similar fears. I've realized I will not get a stellar job and that it will be years until I get to do something exciting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BihterSaat)
    Go back to uni! Do a masters in your subject! Then after that do a PHD, that's what I intend on doing-work is terribly boring no matter how useful the money is have you not been able to find a graduate level job?
    Work is not boring, it's as fun as you make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Work is not boring, it's as fun as you make it.
    Trust me, there is nothing exciting about reviewing paperwork.
    Most corporate jobs today are about picking up a piece of paper and doing something with it and moving on.

ReputationRep:
    knew someone would say something like this. :rolleyes:
    Well shoudn't have said it then eh? You were just trying to grab attention. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    Trust me, there is nothing exciting about reviewing paperwork.
    Most corporate jobs today are about picking up a piece of paper and doing something with it and moving on.
    My degree is often nick-named Bsc in Paper Turning (turning it around)

ReputationRep:
    Really? Where do you work? I have a terrible job and a manager that doesn't let anyone breath let alone have 'fun'.

ReputationRep:
    the word save in the OP is linked to a website named "play sushi"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.