Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've applied for a pgce in maths secondary and currently have no school experience, but with contacts I can arrange to complete some within the next month. It'll be voluntary shadowing, done in paid holiday off work (i do 50 hour weeks monday-friday so can't really do it any other way)

I was wondering, say I will do 5 days. Is it better to do 2 days at one school and 3 at another, or just try for 5 full days at one school? Or would it not make a huge difference either way to the interviewers, so long as I had some experience to talk about?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone care to answer please? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think 5 days at one school would be best as it will give you the chance to get a really good feel for that school. You will have the chance to become familiar with the way that school does things compare different teachers more easily and maybe follow certain classes through consecutive lessons over the week seeing how teachers link up lessons from one to the next etc.

If you were able to do 2 weeks of experience then maybe one week each at 2 schools would be good you could compare them. But with 5 days I think its best to get to know one school well rather than dip into different schools for a couple days each.

Other people might disagree. So think on it for yourself and decide what exactly you want to get out of the experience then choose from there.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest the opposite. I've done work experience in 4 different schools, spending 3 weeks in one and 2 days in each of the others and definitely found that although it was good experience it was more revealing spending short amounts of time in lots. The differences in teaching style will become more apparent and you'll get more of an overview of the ways different schools run. I doubt it will make a lot of difference to interviewers but it'll give you more to talk about in your interview and I found it helped me!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thewolf88)
    anyone care to answer please? :confused:
    It doesn't really matter at all but you will relax and get used to the staff over 5 days in one place, you will probably be tentative and not really get into it if you go to more than one place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.