The Student Room Group

Dented somebodys car in a car park and drove off. I am such an idiot :@

Some car was parked close to me in a multistorey this morning. I reversed out of my space and scratched/dented their wheel arch. I panicked and drove off. I don't think anybody saw. As soon as I left the carpark I realised what an idiot I am. I feel so bad.

Can this person track me down now? I mean, if they did then I'd be more than willing to pay for the damage. My car is all scuffed too. I feel so bad, I actually feel sick to the stomach.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there any chance that if you went back that the car would still be there? If so, maybe you should go back and leave a note or wait for the owner to return :dontknow:.

Unless there are cameras in the car park, I doubt they'd track you down.
Reply 2
I pretty much doubt it. It was just a shoppers carpark. I'm such a muppet for driving off.
Reply 3
In that case probably not much you can do. How bad was the damage? If it was small they might not notice. Yes, it was wrong of you, but you recognise that and feel guilty. If there is a next time (hopefully not) I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
Reply 4
I aren't sure, I just think I dented their wheel arch and scraped some paint off as it was on my car. Something you'd definately notice. I'm really panicking.
Original post by ccxo
I'm such a muppet for driving off.

Yup.
Reply 6
If they do track you down all you can do is apologise and offer to pay, but I doubt they will, just chill out
Reply 7
Had someone dent the back of my car and drive off

Needless to say I wasn't best pleased, especially as the garage gave me a loltastic quote of 1.3k which I declined taking them up on. However I'm sure your dent wasn't as bad :p:
i wouldnt worry :smile: they wont track you down
Reply 9
If there was CCTV you could be prosecuted from driving away from an accident which carries 5 to 10 points and a fine of £5,000.

If you wanted to actually own up, you could phone up the police non emergency phone line and report the accident and give them your details and they'll pass them onto the owner of the other car if they report it.
Original post by miike1234
If there was CCTV you could be prosecuted from driving away from an accident which carries 5 to 10 points and a fine of £5,000.

If you wanted to actually own up, you could phone up the police non emergency phone line and report the accident and give them your details and they'll pass them onto the owner of the other car if they report it.

THIS
Reply 11
Original post by ccxo
Some car was parked close to me in a multistorey this morning. I reversed out of my space and scratched/dented their wheel arch. I panicked and drove off. I don't think anybody saw. As soon as I left the carpark I realised what an idiot I am. I feel so bad.

Can this person track me down now? I mean, if they did then I'd be more than willing to pay for the damage. My car is all scuffed too. I feel so bad, I actually feel sick to the stomach.

:lolwut: of course they won't...

imagine losing your no claims and so forth just because you were too honest!
someone did this to my friends car- but they did £5000 worth of damage to their new mini. she got the hold of the CCTV footage and reported the number plate to the police, the person who did it is oing to get in alot of trouble.
Reply 13
Original post by Arekkusu
:lolwut: of course they won't...

imagine losing your no claims and so forth just because you were too honest!

What do you mean ofcourse they won't? If someone scratched my car I would do everything within my powers to track them down. Imagine getting the points and fine if they do!
Reply 14
Original post by IGregg
What do you mean ofcourse they won't? If someone scratched my car I would do everything within my powers to track them down. Imagine getting the points and fine if they do!

Ok so you come out of Tesco's or whatever and someone's scratched your car, now tell me what you do?
Reply 15
stop worrying :smile: how big was the dint? if it was small enoough i'm sure the driver will be fine and not report it! don't waste time worrying.. worry about it IF you do get the dreaded phone call.
Reply 16
Don't do anything.
If it catches upwith you, even with cctv evidence you can just say you didn't realise you had done it and you are willing to pay the cost to get it fixed.

Didn't know about it = don't have the state of mind of 'running away from scene' = no points & fine.
Reply 17
Only God can judge you.

Lol jk, he's gonna hunt you down and slowly kill you.
Reply 18
Original post by Arekkusu
Ok so you come out of Tesco's or whatever and someone's scratched your car, now tell me what you do?

First of all contact the police, secondly ask the store if they have CCTV in the car park (generally places like Tesco do.)
Reply 19
Original post by ccxo

idiot