Turn on thread page Beta

Hate myself when I look ino the miror 3/4 of the time watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Dermatillomania can be a compulsion of body dysmorphic disorder (BDD).

A documentary film exploring trichotillomania, Bad Hair Life, was the 2003 winner of the International Health & Medical Media Award for best film in psychiatry and the winner of the 2004 Superfest Film Festival Merit Award.[23][24][25]

info on trich : http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...ichotillomania
    Whoa wait... there's a film about it?! Have you seen it? Is it worth it?

(Original post by Sushidelight)
    Ahem... ahem....

From the beginning of my life
    I have been looking for your face
    but today I have seen it

Today I have seen
    the charm, the beauty,
    the unfathomable grace
    of the face
    that I was looking for

Today I have found you
    and those who laughed
    and scorned me yesterday
    are sorry that they were not looking
    as I did

... on a serious note, sometimes I look like I have been run over by a bus, other times I look like I have been run over by a car. It's normal.
    Ahem.

ReputationRep:
    im also a self-hating trich person! i think everyone has days where they cant look in the mirror, i guess some more than most. i try not to get too down about it, and make the most of days where i look good

re: the trich thing... i was doing so amazingly well, my eyelashes had almost grown back (took MONTHS) and then it happened always my left eye though, still have half left so have to use falsies and eyeliner to disguise.
    im glad i dont pull the hair on my head though, eyelashes/brows are easy to cover up.

has anyone actually had help for it? like CBT or something? i cant imagine how anything except my own will power would work?

(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Whoa wait... there's a film about it?! Have you seen it? Is it worth it?
    havent seen it,maybe that psychologist or whatever she was that said that trich was normal ,saw it + regretted it

ReputationRep:
    havent seen it,maybe that psychologist or whatever she was that said that trich was normal ,saw it + regretted it
    Haha I hope so, she seemed proper arrogant!

(Original post by popple7)
    im also a self-hating trich person! i think everyone has days where they cant look in the mirror, i guess some more than most. i try not to get too down about it, and make the most of days where i look good

re: the trich thing... i was doing so amazingly well, my eyelashes had almost grown back (took MONTHS) and then it happened always my left eye though, still have half left so have to use falsies and eyeliner to disguise.
    im glad i dont pull the hair on my head though, eyelashes/brows are easy to cover up.

has anyone actually had help for it? like CBT or something? i cant imagine how anything except my own will power would work?
    I dont think willpower works,I ve tried to give up for 11 yrs,only recently realised I probably have dermatill

ReputationRep:
    I get aroused when i look in the mirror. No wait not the mirror, your bedroom window.:rolleyes:

Too far :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    When I look at myself in the mirror I break into a song,

ReputationRep:
    At the university of Bedfordshire there is a performance of a play called 'Wounds to the face' on friday at polhill campus at 7:30pm and only 3 pounds to students and 5 pounds otherwise. The piece is really relevant to the way lots of students live there lives and the obsession people have with mirrors, self doubt, image etc. It's really relevant to people of our age who have those feelings you just adressed

(Original post by U.S Lecce)
    I get aroused when i look in the mirror. No wait not the mirror, your bedroom window.:rolleyes:

Too far :dontknow:

(Original post by Evangelion)
    When I look at myself in the mirror I break into a song,

I wish I could joke about all the years it has destroyed in my life bringing me shame ,infections,arguments and pain,not letting me go out ,but it hurts too much and doesnt seem very funny.Luckily I dont pick for 11hrs a day and have trich at the same time or had acid thrown at me.It just sucks that my family are so insensitive about it,especially my mum who has taught me the behaviour I hate her for it,but she s probably got some mild form of it herself or something quite similar.Its nice knowin Im not the only though.So laugh all you want now,but hopefully if you see someone with trich or dematill you ll have some form of compassion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    I've felt this way before. Hit the gym thrice a week, get a nice hair cut.. and you'll be fine
    It'll take a bit more than that methinks, but thanks for the kind words and advice anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Most females on TSR would probably envy you for that 1/4
    Yeah. TBH everyone has had moments looking in a mirror and thinking "Jesus when the **** did I wake up looking like that??".

Self-image problems are common enough, you just got to realise its bull****.

ReputationRep:
    [B]I wish I could joke about all the years it has destroyed in my life bringing me shame ,infections,arguments and pain,not letting me go out ,but it hurts too much and doesnt seem very funny.Luckily I dont pick for 11hrs a day and have trich at the same time or had acid thrown at me.It just sucks that my family are so insensitive about it,especially my mum who has taught me the behaviour I hate her for it,but she s probably got some mild form of it herself or something quite similar.Its nice knowin Im not the only though.So laugh all you want now,but hopefully if you see someone with trich or dematill you ll have some form of compassion.
    ??? Sorry I'm still confused as to why you hate yourself??

ReputationRep:
    I think the performance at bedford uni is relevant to people feeling like this. it's a shame our culture are so aware of self image. mabye the show will be helpful or reflective to you guys

??? Sorry I'm still confused as to why you hate yourself??
    because there is nothing I can think of that I like about myself,basically.

ReputationRep:
    because there is nothing I can think of that I like about myself,basically.
    Sure you've not just got chronic depression?

Sure you've not just got chronic depression?
    that s possible

ReputationRep:
    that s possible
    Go to your gp then!!! Tsr isn't going to help, but seeing a professional might. At least that way you can get to the heart of the problem and treat or control the problem.

Go to your gp then!!! Tsr isn't going to help, but seeing a professional might. At least that way you can get to the heart of the problem and treat or control the problem.
    have an appointment in 3 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RequiemForADream)
    It doesn't make me hate myself, it just makes me sad that the way I look is undermining my personality
    I agree

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.