Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University attendance - failed module despite illness with evidence watch

I've had issues with my health since the 2nd year of university (3rd year now). I've not actually received a diagnosis as yet but have had numerous hospital vists to the infectious diseases department, lymph node biopsies, lip biopsys and a 6-month course of two antibiotics. They never really got to the bottom of what it was other than the biopsys showing "granulomatis infection" and having chronic fever and feeling like death for months! Anyway the antibiotics seemed to have solved the problem and I'm now feeling a lot better.

However in my second and the first term of my third year I've had issues with attendance due to this problem. I've provided medical notes and kept the staff updated of whats been going on but in my second year I was still forced to do a summer re-sit exam despite achieving 2.i and 1sts in all my assignments and exams - and the summer re-sit exam allows you only to achieve a pass mark of 40!

Additionally, because of attendance for one module in the first semester of 3rd year I'm having to sit another summer re-sit exam - despite achieving a 1st in that module - although they are allowing me the full allocation of marks this time but I stil find this extremely unfair as it means my transcript will look as if I've failed modules with no apparent cause and I can't graduate with my friends.

Also I am applying for a second degree this october, graduate entry medicine and standard entry medicine. I am extremely worried that they will take one look at my transcipt and I won't have a chance.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with attendance problems due to illness at university and if I should appeal - and who I should appeal to!? If not my university personal tutor has offered to give me a letter explaining why I re-sat the modules so that I can add this as supplemetary info of extenuating circumstances (along with medical notes) to my medicine UCAS form.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.