Turn on thread page Beta

100 Schools Where Not One Pupil Studied GCSE History watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    More than 100 state schools failed to enter a single candidate for GCSE history last year, an official report has revealed. It says the subject is becoming ‘marginalised’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1HQoMyDvu
    Among the reasons given, none mention the main reason, an 'internationalist' strategy of sidelining English history to deny us a sense of identity and national pride.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Judging by the history classes I did at GCSE their purpose has nothing to do with giving a sense of identity and pride. Thats not the jobs of schools or education anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this makes me physically sick. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Atleast its not a science.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do history, I have no idea who I am, help!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Wow, this makes me physically sick. :puke:
    Why, out of interest? Unless you are Jewish, American, East Asian, from the USSR or some other obscure peoples, I can't see why you would be so upset by this. Those are the groups whose histories are being marginalised if students don't register for the GCSE. There was hardly any English history in the syllabus to begin with. Maybe it was just my exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    Why, out of interest? Unless you are Jewish, American, East Asian, from the USSR or some other obscure peoples, I can't see why you would be so upset by this. Those are the groups whose histories are being marginalised if students don't register for the GCSE. There was hardly any English history in the syllabus to begin with. Maybe it was just my exam board?
    Yeah, it depends on the exam board. I remember my test had quite a few English questions in it. Obviously I didn't do those, but it was in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    Well it isn't as bad as what happened in 1980, World War 2 was tragic for education.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I actually agree with the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    wow makes me sick!

oh well british history is pretty dry as **** lets be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    wow makes me sick!

oh well british history is pretty dry as **** lets be honest.
    Then you know absolutely nothing about British history!

ReputationRep:
    its sad, but Kickflip has (as usual) got the context wrong. History is not a desired subject because the way history is taught is monolithic and outdated- it focuses on reguritating facts rather than critical analysis and debate- which is something i realised when i transitioned from GCSE history to IB History.

Perhaps if the syllabus changes so that kids can get their own opinions on history, rather than having it force-fed to them, they will enjoy it more.

ReputationRep:
    The idea is that History is a choice at GCSE and above - why force someone to do it if they don't want to? It's not like GCSE History teaches a sense of British-ness, it's a lot about the World Wars and periods around those years (IIRC).

(Original post by Kickflip)
    Among the reasons given, none mention the main reason, an 'internationalist' strategy of sidelining English history to deny us a sense of identity and national pride.
    I'm not a nationalist, but I agree - it's disgusting that people know who MLK was (every single bloody year) but can't name more than a handful of monarchs (if any), any wars (apart from the ones in the 20th century) etc etc.

It's time the whole history curriculum was replaced by British history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm not a nationalist, but I agree - it's disgusting that people know who MLK was (every single bloody year) but can't name more than a handful of monarchs (if any), any wars (apart from the ones in the 20th century) etc etc.

So you're not a nationalist, just a bit of a xenophobe?

ReputationRep:
    If students want to learn about WW1 and WW2 they can watch various films or use their prior knowledge from being taught it right up through school. What's wrong with a bit of variety in the history syllabus and why don't they teach ancient history. I really enjoy that kind of stuff and there's just none of it.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the subject of History is becoming err... history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)

or not.

I find it rather depressing that most students are unaware of the antiquity, of the rennaissance, of the migration periods (where ironically, English culture was consolidated). In fact, many school children are also unaware of the conflicts of empires in general (ie. the Ottoman empire).

on the note of simply teaching british history, how do you propose this ? Surely this would give an over-mythologised idea of British history that is founded in grandiose notions and fallacies, and taught in an unapologetic manner.

Its not that kids dont know british history- its the fact that they actually know very little history in general.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I picked history for GCSE and it was the worst choice I ever made...you were made to learn pointless facts, the bits we did were interesting at first but got painful near the end.

And I actually find some history really interesting :dry:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.