Turn on thread page Beta

100 Schools Where Not One Pupil Studied GCSE History watch

ReputationRep:
    I think this is ridiculous. I was actually talking to my history teacher about this the other day (I do A-level history) and she's been to meetings about getting kids more interested in the subject. Apparently, many state schools discourage their students from taking A-level history because it's harder to get a grade in (league tables SUCK).

I know we're on about GCSE history here but it's all linked. It's a shame that traditional subjects aren't being advertised well in state schools. There is a reason why a lot of top universities appreciate their students taking history...

ReputationRep:
    Are you seriously suggesting an article in the Mail isn't xenophobic enough? :?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    wow makes me sick!

oh well british history is pretty dry as **** lets be honest.
    Yeah the interesting and modern day relevant stuff is the rise of Communism, Cold war and the Nazis. I did British Political History 1900-1925 and it was really dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I see HS's point, but fear and dislike aren't inevitable products of ignorance.

I just replied to HS saying I think there should be more of an emphasis on British history anyways. After all, this is Britain and the majority of students are British. We have a very proud history that too many people don't know about.
    you could also say that we also have a shameful history.
    but while I dont think out history is particularly wonderful or special I so believe that the basics of it should be taught to everyone pre GCSE.
    for GCSE I think that there should be more choice as to what history you want to learn.
    some people, like you I'm guessing, would like to focus on british history
    some would like to learn primerally about medieval Europe.
    and having seen peoples books who did gcse and a level history I can understand why not many take it as it doesn't seem like anyone would get to spend a great deal of time doing what they actually enjoy.
    personally I would of chosen history if my school offered classical or ancient history but unfortunately neither were an option and I didn't want to spend 2 years learning about the war

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame, I loved GCSE History but most of my class weren't interested in it at all and used to just muck about for an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    you could also say that we also have a shameful history.
    but while I dont think out history is particularly wonderful or special I so believe that the basics of it should be taught to everyone pre GCSE.
    Our History is special!
    Mother of parliaments and the Industrial revolution and all that.
    Which isn't to say that french History over the same period isn't much more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    Our History is special!
    Mother of parliaments and the Industrial revolution and all that.
    Which isn't to say that french History over the same period isn't much more interesting.
    yes I'm not saying we don't have anything good I'm just saying so do most other places. I do think people should know about where they come from but thats the only reason its worth knowing.. because we come from here

ReputationRep:
    I do GCSE History OCR, and boy is it boring. All we do is just asnwer questions from a text book all lesson, seriously I could teach myself this course if I wanted to. Then we get 'trained' on how to answer questions which is all well but learning how to answer a 10 marker isnt going to get a bunch of 16 year olds excited. Not helped by the boring topics; LoN, nazi germany, weimar germany, international relations etc. All made dull when coupled with textbook teachers. I dont think we'v ever even debated once in our class.

If people want more history candidates, then how about learning how to teach it instead of sitting back and letting the textbook do all the work

Should have picked geography, it's easier

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm not a nationalist, but I agree - it's disgusting that people know who MLK was (every single bloody year) but can't name more than a handful of monarchs (if any), any wars (apart from the ones in the 20th century) etc etc.

It's time the whole history curriculum was replaced by British history.
    Woah, that would be awful. British history would be incredibly dull, incredibly linear and would enourage selfish isolated nationalism. I'd much rather learn about the world, why does it matter if kids can't name every monarch? They get the general gist of eras, and that is certainly enough. It is so vital that people learn about areas ot the world other than that of their own country. Imagine a generation of people who only have deep understanding of their own country, they would be incredibly narrow. I swear less people would take Brtish Hisory.

ReputationRep:
    People are saying that British History is dry, but this year on the Higher course (Scottish) at my school they've replaced "The Road to WW2" (which is actually interesting, in my opinion) with something about Scottish migration (yawn). So now they do British History, Scottish History and Russian History. Haw haw haw, glad I did that one last year when there was a smidgen of excitement in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    I beg to differ. There is no GCSE more mindless than Religious Studies. 100% vomiting facts onto paper, and it is really hard to get anything below a B.
    I may have studied for an hour or two for that subject. Probably less. I easily gained an A

ReputationRep:
    A shame, but most people will find History an awful GCSE if they don't enjoy it - people aren't going to take History if they've been forced to learn about the Industrial Revolution in year 9.
    At my school the syllabus was alright so there wasn't much disruption and there was high enrollment... but having a good history syllabus at GCSE is rare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    If students want to learn about WW1 and WW2 they can watch various films or use their prior knowledge from being taught it right up through school. What's wrong with a bit of variety in the history syllabus and why don't they teach ancient history. I really enjoy that kind of stuff and there's just none of it.
    Aw, yeah i really wish ancient history was offered at GCSE/A level too..

ReputationRep:
    Well every child has to study history before that, so it's not a big deal if they choose not to do it for a GCSE. They don't suddenly forget everything they know, and GCSE doesn't focus just on "English history", it covers all kinds of things in very specific times (like WW2 for example).
    We studied more of the "English history" when younger, the tudors and various kings and queens (and what happened during their reign).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I know, the current syllabus is disappointing, even anti-British in parts. A large portion of it is, as not so academic said, political indoctrination which is designed to induce a sense of White liberal guilt in pupils. However, it's important to have a sense of international history too.

If children are just not taking History, that will encourage schools to drop it altogether - and in the process, it will be difficult to re-establish the subject.
    You must have taken a very different history GCSE to me.

ReputationRep:
    I regret taking GCSE History. I think self teaching yourself aspects of history that you take an interest in is much more productive.

A level history looks interesting. Maybe its because I mainly had a terrible teacher and did a boring syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm not a nationalist, but I agree - it's disgusting that people know who MLK was (every single bloody year) but can't name more than a handful of monarchs (if any), any wars (apart from the ones in the 20th century) etc etc.

It's time the whole history curriculum was replaced by British history.
    What's the use in memorising monarchs and wars.

History, there's no future in it.

ReputationRep:
    Just because people don't do GCSE history doesn't mean they know nothing about it or have no interest in it. The way the time table worked at my school was that if you opted to do individual sciences (i.e. separate biology, chemistry, physics) you weren't able to pick both geography and history. You had to pick one or the other, thus I opted for geography.

In my spare time though I read up on history. I have lots of texts about the Neolithic and Bronze age societies of Britain

ReputationRep:
    I thought history was fun at GCSE
    I think everyone should be given the chance to choose the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kickflip)
    Among the reasons given, none mention the main reason, an 'internationalist' strategy of sidelining English history to deny us a sense of identity and national pride.
    You do realise a lot of the history we study isn't even English? Sure some of it is, but a lot is China, Germany, Russia etc - speaking from experience. We're not gaining identity and national pride anyway lool esp as the English figures we study were mostly ********s.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.