Turn on thread page Beta

100 Schools Where Not One Pupil Studied GCSE History watch

ReputationRep:
    Was fortunate enought to have a really good GCSE teacher, and she managed to teach my class, and we were a mixed bunch in terms of ability!

Little depressing that people aren't learning about History, I love it!

History is very very important, I'm sure you all know of the quote 'those who forget the past are condemned to relive it'... we can learn from historical events, and broaden our understanding of the world, and of different cultures, and things that associated with a specific culture, and social jokes!

A-Level History is so so much better than GCSE - I'm doing America in the Far East, so Civil Rights, Vietnam; actual things that are still relevant to me and crop up places. Then again, GCSE was Hitler and Stalin... mmmm murderers! And I still can't tell you much about WWII!

ReputationRep:
    I think in general the history taught at school is wayyyy too focused on the West. I've met lots of people applying for history at uni, and I'm one of the very few people who has only studied the Nazis once (at AS level).
    I mean, the only part of any history course I've done so far that wasn't focused on Western history was a TINY part of my GCSE course's Medicine Through Time paper, which focused on Rhazes etc and Eastern medicine in comparison to the West.
    I think we need a chance to learn that our history (and by ours I mean the West/Europe) =/= the whole picture.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, History was rather boring and too many essays. And I would say learning about Hitler is a tad more important than some dry tract about the lineage of the monarchy. Personally, I did:

Britain in World War II
    Nazi Germany in World War II
    Soviet Union in World War II

And before that I did:

The Norman Invasion
    The Hundred Year's War
    The Crusades
    The Stuarts
    The Tudors
    The War of the Roses
    The English Civil War

Quite dull really. A side note but a British Identity shouldn't be the duty of the education system. If they're taking the time to do that, then shorten the school day and give the children more time for lulz, hilarity and building social skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    If students want to learn about WW1 and WW2 they can watch various films or use their prior knowledge from being taught it right up through school. What's wrong with a bit of variety in the history syllabus and why don't they teach ancient history. I really enjoy that kind of stuff and there's just none of it.
    Because schools are crap and ignore classics when actually they're pretty damn fun (and educational).

GCSE for me did require quite a bit of analysis, not as much as uni obviously, but I still quite enjoyed GCSE. But then again I am just a little bit biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Why is it necessary?
    It is not necessary. No particular topic or period of history is "necessary".

The principal criticism of studying the civil rights era in the USA is that it is yet another period of 20th century history.

Given the importance of the USA in the world, it is perfectly reasonable for students to study a period of American history. However I wonder how most pupils put the civil rights era into any sort of context, with virtually no study of any earlier period.

I have seen American high school students, both black and white, trying to comprehend whilst staring at the remains of the huts of the slaves owned by the man who wrote "all men are created equal".

How does a British pupil parachuted into American history circa 1953 begin to understand the issues.

ReputationRep:
    This makes me sad. History is a truly wonderful subject

ReputationRep:
    They make what could be an entirely interesting subject so...dull.
    Who wants to learn about this Robert Peel bloke every history student yacks on about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    Because schools are crap and ignore classics when actually they're pretty damn fun (and educational).

GCSE for me did require quite a bit of analysis, not as much as uni obviously, but I still quite enjoyed GCSE. But then again I am just a little bit biased.
    This is so true. Schools are crap. It's much more fun going somewhere and learning about its history whilst you're there. We did that with all the stuff happening around Northern Greece, Bulgaria, FYROM etc. this summer. It was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    History, alongside maths and English, is the most important subject a child should study at school, in my opinion. I don't know why it's not compulsory at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    History, alongside maths and English, is the most important subject a child should study at school, in my opinion. I don't know why it's not compulsory at GCSE.
    Well everyone learns history before hand, I don't see why anyone should HAVE to do it at GCSE. Things like English, maths and certain aspects of science are essential for everyday life after school, but history is not... Not in the way you'd need the qualification to prove you know it.

ReputationRep:
    There is an element of choice here...the students are perfectly at liberty to pick history and the school shouldn't coerce them into doing so. Says more about the students than the schools.

ReputationRep:
    I should add that I find the politics of the last century dull as ****. I love the period circa 1200-1700, but I could not have handled 1900 onwards. I wouldn't have been interested enough to get the stuff into my brain.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked my GCSE course but then I really like history anyway. We did the history of medicine, the Troubles in Northern Ireland and, quite possible the best thing I've studied in history, the Native Americans. We also did some rubbish about castles which wasn't that good. I am, however, somewhat biased since I will be starting history at university this year.

I do agree with the overwhelming opinion in this thread that too much of the history taught in school is WWI and WWII, and even then it is very eurocentric with next to nothing on the battles in Africa or Asia.

All this hate for British political history when I really enjoyed doing 19th century British political history at A-Level. I am, however, what can only be described as a boring nerd when it comes to something like that.

(Original post by steffi.alexa)

I agree. Ancient history is painfully neglected. I think I only really did it in year 7 and obviously a bit when I did the history of medicine.

In my experience of talking to people about history, even those who aren't a fan of the subject seem to have at least some fascination for ancient civilisations.

In short, more ancient history taught in schools!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I don't think the English need to worry about their national pride being damped down.

ReputationRep:
    Well the massive amounts of coursework and essay exams aren't exactly gonna sell the GCSE very well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicMan)
    I do GCSE History OCR, and boy is it boring. All we do is just asnwer questions from a text book all lesson, seriously I could teach myself this course if I wanted to. Then we get 'trained' on how to answer questions which is all well but learning how to answer a 10 marker isnt going to get a bunch of 16 year olds excited. Not helped by the boring topics; LoN, nazi germany, weimar germany, international relations etc. All made dull when coupled with textbook teachers. I dont think we'v ever even debated once in our class.

If people want more history candidates, then how about learning how to teach it instead of sitting back and letting the textbook do all the work

Should have picked geography, it's easier

/rant
    I too am doing OCR history, and my history lessons are nothing like that at all. No exams, pure coursework and the subjects we do are: Are the Olympic Games More Than Just a Sporting Event?, Power and Control in the Middle Ages (covers King John I, King Edward I, King Henry V and Owain Glyndwr), Local History and American West. It's actually pretty good and we do debates and my teacher tells us to simply look at the facts and make up our own opinions for when we do the coursework.

While there is also 'normal' history in my school that covers WWII and Vietnam and the likes... no where near as interesting for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Well everyone learns history before hand, I don't see why anyone should HAVE to do it at GCSE. Things like English, maths and certain aspects of science are essential for everyday life after school, but history is not... Not in the way you'd need the qualification to prove you know it.
    It's not about knowing history, as such, it's about developing the skills required to engage in it.

And besides, how exactly is science essential for everyday life? I'm not knocking science here, I'm simply making a point about history. Neither physics nor history knowledge is needed for everyday life, but each teaches the student valuable skills which can be transferred elsewhere.

History is to the arts and humanities what physics is to the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    There is an element of choice here...the students are perfectly at liberty to pick history and the school shouldn't coerce them into doing so. Says more about the students than the schools.
    History should be compulsory at GCSE in the same way that science is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kickflip)
    Among the reasons given, none mention the main reason, an 'internationalist' strategy of sidelining English history to deny us a sense of identity and national pride.
    Not really. I got an A in my History GCSE without studying anything about the history of England or the UK. I picked WWI, WWII, the URSS, the Nazis and the Spanish Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    its sad, but Kickflip has (as usual) got the context wrong. History is not a desired subject because the way history is taught is monolithic and outdated- it focuses on reguritating facts rather than critical analysis and debate- which is something i realised when i transitioned from GCSE history to IB History.

Perhaps if the syllabus changes so that kids can get their own opinions on history, rather than having it force-fed to them, they will enjoy it more.
    History is facts, thats kind of the point of it. You can analyse sources and discuess what happened, but at the end of the day, what happened, happened. There's not a lot of room for debate surely?

History was the most popular GCSE subject in my year - I think there were 3 classes of 30 pupils, out of a year of about 160. We learnt the facts, but we did have a fair bit of discussion - although obviously the emphasis was on learning what happened and why it happened.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.