Turn on thread page Beta

The Football Blog Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread is for all of those that wish to post their views in a column/blog style (i.e. ME) instead of posting it in several posts while others quote your posts and post back. It's a posting nuisance at times.

This thread is open to all who wish to use it. There are no rules on formatting, though I do recommend you use pictures and a splash of colour to entertain those with limited attention spans (i.e. ME). Blogs should be of a reasonable length and try not to write a blog on the same subject as someone else. I do understand that some topics may get more than one blog, which is fine, but we don't want ten blogs all on the Manchester derby which all have the same opinion. I also do not want more than one blog on rubbish such as Kilmarnock vs Kilmarnock Reserves.

Keep them interesting and entertaining. Be controversial if you want.

Comments to be kept on a seperate thread.

EXAMPLES: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=world cup blog
    (Read the Italy one :sexface: )

Have fun blogging, I will have one up shortly.

ReputationRep:
    The England Captaincy Debate

John Terry in full bragging mode

The England captaincy has been given back to John "Leader of Men('s Wives)" Terry by Fabio Capello ahead of some games against two countries who have some players in the Premier League. Players like Michael Is He In and Gareth "Pays Craig Bellamy's" Bale.

But why is this such a controversial topic?

Thirteen months ago, John Terry was caught in the middle of a sex scandal which involved a former team mate's former lover. Handshakes were avoided, so on and so forth. He was replaced by Rio Ferdinand and all was well, until Rio was injured just before the World Cup and the armband was given to Steven Gerrard. Sounds fine, despite England losing to those bloody Germans again. Why do they take their football so seriously those Germans? It's just a game after all.

Well, in the present, Rio Ferdinand is injured once again. In fact, he has been injured so often, he now has queue jump at the hospital. Gerrard, I don't know why he has been overlooked, he will probably be at a Westlife concert with Kenny Dalglish. Therefore, Capello has reinstated Terry, placing his full confidence behind him after showing he had no confidence for him 13 months back.

People are outraged, this is a fist shake worthy story, but I have no idea why.

Capello in full brooding mode

Firstly, the sex scandal was barely a sex scandal. He apparently (don't want to get sued here) slept with Wayne Bridge's ex. Ex. Yeah. Why would Bridge be upset? Yeah, there may be some kids involved, I cannot remember, but it's 2011, kids are hardly anything anymore. You can probably apply for some through an iPhone application nowadays. Stop being old fashioned. However, John Terry was married. That's scandalous. Except:

(Original post by The Mail On Sunday)
    On January 31, we published some personal information about Vanessa Perroncel concerning an alleged affair with the footballer John Terry. We have since been informed she would have preferred this to remain private and it was untrue in any case. We apologise to Miss Perroncel for any distress caused.
    So...there was no scandal. None at all and due to immense pressure from idiots in the media, Capello sacked his captain, the one he wants back now to lead England against the giants of football they face next. It's not like Rio is going to be there, despite his influence on a grunting Scouser who is England's future (not Jay Spearing). Terry admits his divisive nature, about as divisive as scissors, yet he cannot help what he has been turned into. Will the players listen to Tezza? They ****ing better or they won't get into the squad again. Either that or Stuart Pearce will rip you several new ones. In places you would not expect.

Another issue I have is the captaincy itself, is it actually a big deal? Usually teams look to certain people for leadership, but in a team that gets together as infrequently as an international team, does it matter that much? Especially when the captain may be on a different team and tackled the **** out of you two weeks earlier? Probably not. Maybe Capello is building for the future, getting a captain in place for the next major tournament, but will Terry be there in a year's time? More importantly, will Capello? Italy merely give the captain's armband to the one with the most caps, whom is someone with leadership usually, as Italy is filled with the passionate. Only passionate people would bother keeping up a dodgy tower. Health and Safety disaster waiting to happen. James Collins may be captaining Wales in the game at the Millenium Stadium, it doesn't look like they give a **** about it.

Capello's authority (i.e. his doormat like quality) has been undermined again. Despite being a good manager (controversial), he seems to have lost the media stardom and the fan's adoration. He's dropped Heskey, what more do you want? Oh, to sack a scumbag? He did that and people were still unhappy, so now he's done a 180, Fellaini style, and stuck to his guns only thirteen months after he should have. In international years, that's like three weeks though, so, not too long. This blog will probably take longer.

It all stinks of absolute hype out of nothing, something the media always tries to pull out of the bag before England games. It seems like they don't actually want England to win. I blame the sacking of Steve Clarke. And the bloody Germans.

FIN

ReputationRep:
    Ghan and have a go!
    Talking about England's upcoming friendly with Ghana.

Ghana's reaction to the England captaincy debate.

Excuse the horrible pun. Now that we're past that tidbit, let's talk about the very important friendly and all the rubbish leading up to it.

This is the first game between Ghana and England since records began. A bit moment, especially for Ghana, who are representing Africa on a world stage in the middle of a crucial time for the world. Pretentiousness aside, Ghana are well looking forward to it, but why aren't England? John Terry, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Michael Dawson and Wayne Rooney have been sent home ahead of the friendly, leaving who to start in this glamour friendly? Darren Bent? Yeah, he's a name alright. For Gary Glitter jokes, that is.

Raging.
    Stephen Appiah, former Ghana captain, has called this act disrespectful, which he has every right to do. It's a big moment and England are playing their reserves in a time where playing reserves in actually unnecessary. Who is going to make their claim for the team now? You should be getting your new team, hardly different from the old team, to gel. Also, sending your newly appointed, re-newly appointed, perhaps, captain home after his first (sort of) game as captain is poor showing. I thought Capello wanted to stop the armband moving around everywhere. I blame the sacking of Steve Clarke to be honest.

Anyway, here's to Ghana assaulting the senses and beating England led by Gareth "Leader of Scout Troop 46E" Barry. Maybe Ashley Young will have a good game, leading Gerard Houllier to send him on loan to Middlesborough. Carroll could prove that he is a £35 million striker with some well places layoffs and Danny Welbeck could learn what it's like to sit on the England bench. Maybe a friendly after a competitive match is actually a good idea? Yeah.

Looking into the abyss of unemployment.

Speaking of Capello and his army, the FA has come out saying that removing Capello's get-out clause was a bad idea. Basically, they are wishing that they could get rid of Capello in a cheap way, which surely inspires confidence in the manager and his team. Shouldn't you bring unity and solidarity to the team instead of ****ing it all up by talking to the media? Nah, that's too easy. Turning yourself into an underdog so that even you believe that there's no chance of anything AND THEN winning, now that's awesome. Totally awesome to the max. Idiots. They beat the superstars of Wales 2-0, what more do you want?

Andy Carroll after a few drinks.

Oh yeah, Capello tells Carroll to watch the drinking. They do serve quadruple vodkas at those Boyzone gigs after all.

FIN

ReputationRep:
    Recently finished reading Patrick Barclays' book on Sir Alex Ferguson so jotted up my thoughts on it.

Ferguson’s upbringing is the key to his success, whether he’s right or wrong

Reading football biographies haven’t normally been on my reading list for as long as I can remember, the notion of reading about someone else’s life through the words of a writer who’s probably not been there with that person seems dreary.

It’s as unbelieving when sports stars, celebrities and any other person who is swimming in the pool of public fame that releases an autobiography, but for which most of it has been written by a ghost writer sitting in the plush surroundings of a London office.

But I decided to give it a whirl by picking up The Times’ experienced writer Patrick Barclays’ biography of Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, entitled “Football – Bloody Hell! The biography of Sir Alex Ferguson”. Having seen it a few times on the book shelves of WH Smith’s and not too excited by the prospect of paying £18 for it, I did what any other stingy person who doesn’t buy books – loan it from the library for free.

I had gained some insight into one aspect of Ferguson’s professional life (unfortunately for me, this wasn’t “privileged” access to the great man). But by going through Daniel Taylor’s This Is The One, The Uncut story of Sir Alex Ferguson which looked at interestingly, Ferguson’s relationship with the media since 2005 when he was under pressure from Chelsea’s title winning revolution under the coach who never loses at home (until yesterday) that is Jose Mourinho.

But as to going deeper and analysing Ferguson’s whole life was something I had yet to do although I had read pieces but not in depth views of the DNA which made him into the most successful manager in the British game.

On the face of it, Barclays’ account of Ferguson’s life could be accused on the outset of being a glorified, biased tribute to a person who he has known since the early days of his managerial career. But surprisingly, there are a few moments where he does criticise (not in a rant sort of way) but subtle digs in instances where Ferguson has let himself down.

What I found informative was the personal side of Ferguson rather than the professional parts we know about him already.

Raised by his parents in Govan and the times he was brought up in, the determination, strong will and desire is so evident today but has been drilled into him early on his life.

His dream move to Rangers turned into a disaster with unfortunate views of bigotry by club directors and a lack of a relationship with the manager at the time souring his time there. But he plied his trade at other clubs before the inquisitive and learning side of Ferguson came to the fore and he went into management, to huge levels of success.

It’s safe to say we see on a regular basis his opinionated views on the game (mainly on referees) and his feuds he has had with his ex-Aberdeen players Jim Leighton and Gordon Strachan. Although the former “feud” has remained slightly low key with the goalkeeper (and his wife it seems) unable to forgive the Scotsman for dropping him for a Cup final.

At times, Ferguson has been extremely ruthless and harsh to some of his former players. A prime example is one who formed such a crucial role in his success at Aberdeen, striker Mark McGhee. Two men who shared a close relationship as player-manager, and then manager to manager but who Ferguson, bafflingly, has not talked to for several years for an unspecified reason. This culminating in a frosty scene at Blackburn Rovers’ corporate area, where Ferguson walked past McGhee without an acknowledgement he was there. McGhee had requested advice from Ferguson about leaving Leicester for Wolves, to which the Scot duly advised him to go. Once it was done, the phone lines and any other point of communication went dry.

Any die hard anything but United fan might grudgingly accept and even dare say, come to respect Ferguson’s achievements in the game but throughout his career, has let himself down with some situations which have been handled badly and quite unceremoniously.

But at the key to his success as mentioned throughout the book, is gaining the respect of his father and sticking to the hard-working middle class principles that underpinned his upbringing in Govan.

It is a well written and fair book, neither does it give a full blown drooling of the man and manager but throws in some criticism of him which is only what you’d expect from a biography. I might be tempted to read another biography in future, but again, I stress the word, MIGHT.

P.S. Feel free to pass on any suggestions of good biographies.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering it was possible for me to post some articles I write in this thread? Would be great if possible.

Discussion, feedback, suggestions etc all welcome

ReputationRep:
    What Next For Rafael Benitez?

Spurs Anticipate Huddlestone Return

The Curious Case Of ‘Villas-Boas’ - Stayed up late last night writing this one, really pleased with it though. Little rushed but feel it got better towards the end.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Ireland – The Rise, The Fall and The Resurrection. - Ahhhhh, I liked writing this one....

ReputationRep:
    I have a Birmingham city blog.

Blue or Not Blue? http://t.co/eXyVh5a

ReputationRep:
    Yeung Arrested as Rooney Brought in

http://keeprightonblogging.wordpress...ey-brought-in/

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of starting one. :beard:

(Original post by TheBallWinner)
    What Next For Rafael Benitez?

Spurs Anticipate Huddlestone Return

The Curious Case Of ‘Villas-Boas’ - Stayed up late last night writing this one, really pleased with it though. Little rushed but feel it got better towards the end.
    Good stuff. :yy: Looks like you write these pieces really quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    I'm thinking of starting one. :beard:

Good stuff. :yy: Looks like you write these pieces really quickly!
    You should!

Yeah, I wrote the first 3 in a couple of days, wanted to try and get a few articles out there for fans of certain sides, but at the moment i'm slowing things down and have 1 or 2 lined up for next week.

Obviously with it being a non profit blog, my aim isn't cash , I'd just like to know some people would bookmark it and come back and visit if they get bored and fancy a browse :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Orlando Pirates v Tottenham Hotspur – Pre Season - Will be doing many more of these when the seasons starts.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reallifenews.com/football/index.php

My latest work of art. Give it a read when you've got a sec. Or maybe you have some sort of life to get back to? Let us know what you think anyway. (This is hereby my official tagline for a new post, look out for more blog-whoring in the future).

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Should hopefully start doing a couple myself. Trying to narrow down ideas is the hardest thing :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    http://meskellsmusings.wordpress.com/

Blog

ReputationRep:
    I've made my second Arsenal report! Yeah i know, not too impressive game (0-0), but please give it a view and maybe a comment or two. Would love you all if you bookmarked us or visited the new facebook ... Thanks.

http://theballwinner.com/2011/08/13/...remier-league/

ReputationRep:
    My latest work of art. Give it a read when you've got a sec. Or maybe you have some sort of life to get back to? Let us know what you think anyway.

http://www.reallifenews.com/football...after_cesc.php

ReputationRep:
    Not been on here in a while, but the blog is picking up and going good! Almost 3k individual hits now! And set up a Facebook Page

Latest piece from a few days ago - Newcastle vs. Arsenal - The Premier League

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reallifenews.com/football...re_we_come.php

My latest work of art. Give it a read when you've got a sec. Or maybe you have some sort of life to get back to? Let us know what you think anyway.

And a little something else on the side; my article on Ignasi Miquel. Enjoy.

http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk...enal-wonderkid

ReputationRep:
    End of August has come, thought id write up on who I thought had stood out this month.

The Ball Winner - Player of the Month

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 25, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.